Fan control for 2 Video cards?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Cisco2, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cisco2

Cisco2 New Member

GPU:
    2 X BFG 7800 GT OC
    Sorry if this has been asked 2000 times before...I used the search engine to the best of my abilities and couldn't find it...

I have 2 noisy BFG 7800 GT OCs in SLI. I got the current version of Rivatuner mostly for fan control until the new one comes out with support for the driver I'm using (latest official)

I chose the primary video card and adjusted the fan speeds...worked like a charm...but when I select the secondary card, the fan control tab is missing...

Am I in fact adjusting both fans? or is fan adjustment for the 2nd GPU just not supported? If it isn't supported, what other utility could I try? (I already tried nvtune 3.xx and it crashes XP hard with my motherboard and CPU: Asus A8N32 & X2-4400+)

I listened as best I could while using Rivatuner and there was a definite drop in sound but I couldn't tell if both had been slowed down...

Any help would be appreciated... I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF THINK! :)

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

> I chose the primary video card and adjusted the fan speeds...worked like a charm...but when I select the secondary card, the fan control tab is missing...

Don't mess secondary display adapter and secondary output of the primary display adapter. You're not selecting a different adapter.

> Am I in fact adjusting both fans?

By design of ForceWare drivers, overclocking and fan control is applied simultaneously to both adapters in SLI mode.

3. Cisco2

Cisco2 New Member

GPU:
    2 X BFG 7800 GT OC
    Thanks, Unwinder.

In that case my next step is looking for a quieter way to cool these cards... probably NV Silencers... these things are still the noisiest things in my case even down at 25%

4. tm101

tm101 Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D 7800GT @ 473/1134
    You can turn off the 25% minimum in RV. I use to downclock my 7800GT in 2D mode to 135/432 and use the fan at only 16% then. It stays below 50C depending on system load and room temperature. In 3D that doesn't matter much, since game-sounds are usually louder.

Actually I don't use 2D and 3D modes for fanspeed anyway, but have it purely temperature-controlled through RT. :D

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I've dug around 15.8 can't seem to find out if a 6800GT eVGA is controllable via temp's? Do U know?

Thanks

6. tm101

tm101 Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D 7800GT @ 473/1134
    If you can change fanspeed via RT then it's controllable via temp by RT. But you have to invest some work (save profiles, set up Launch items, configure the RT temp monitor to launch Launch items on certain temperature points).

The good thing about it is that you have free choice and full control how fast the fan should turn on any given temperature.

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Well thanks for the reply, but that's what I'm getting at:

I can't figure out how? I assumed 15.8 was going to make it easier but I guess not. Can ya help me out with step by step? I ain't dumb so if ya could just get me started.

Thanks

8. tm101

tm101 Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D 7800GT @ 473/1134
    There is an old "howto" I wrote some months ago in this forum. Since RT 15.8 makes things now easier I will write a new one once I've got the time to do it.

9. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I would appreciate it. Thanks

10. Unwinder

There is also "how to" in FAQ:

11. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Thanks! :approval:

12. Obi-Wan Cornobi

Obi-Wan Cornobi New Member

Unfortunately this does not appear to be happening with my XFX 7800 GT's in SLI. Using RT I can control the fan speed of one GPU, however the 2nd GPU fan speed remains constant. Its not quite 100% full speed but it is annoyingly loud.

13. Unwinder

Don't address this question to me. I've tired to repeat personally for each newbie coming to forum, refusing to read anything and posting "bugreports" that fan control is performed by FORCEWARE. If something is broken there - I CANNOT help you.

The thread is closed, the same will happend with any fan control related thread because my patience is over. I'm tired to repeat the same things daily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.