Details Windows Game Mode Explained

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We already posted news on the Game Mode for Windows 10, but it was a little uncertain as to what it exactly does. Well, we can answer that now. The idea behind Game Mode is consistency, rather than ...

Details Windows Game Mode Explained

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sounds great, lets see if implementation will be as effective and will have benefit on platforms other then UWP.

3. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    My system will probably see no improvement at all. With 8 cores and 16 threads running, everything is getting enough power anyway, which is exactly what I intended.

4. Sifr

Sifr Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 1080
    It'll still interrupt your gameplay session and update itself regardless, won't it?
    That's the reason I'm still not using Win10

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So "Game Mode" basically devotes all processing power to game and putting everything else on lower priority.

This is really terribly bad solution from what I can tell. For people who using other software with games like streaming or hosting a server in background it's a major f4ck up. Good thing its optional.

It also proves the fact that Windows 10 is full of bloatware, that needs to be suspended to give more priority to game. They could just suspect that system bloatware...
    BUT NO! M$ also f4ck up all your running programs and tasks, cause users are retards and can't manage their own sh1t.

You had 1 job M$.

6. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Sooooo useless, this can be done with multipple light sofwares already. Microsoft should work on the bugged automatic management of the paging file lately causing crashes,AND BSODS NOT THIS BULL****...I was having strange freezes, with black screens in different times of the day. There are tons of people having this issue, and all thought it was a driver problem or ram problem. But no, it's the bugged automatic paging file. Need to set it manually and the problem maGically disappears....

7. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I'm yet to be interrupted by an update while playing a game, so no.

8. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I don't know what some people expected here. For a magical gaming mode that doubles your FPS? I don't know. Efficiency is the word for this mode if they get it to work right. It is good they are bringing it to Windows 10. Gaming as priority should have been here years ago. Isn't what some people doing with "gaming tweaks" killing services and altering registries? This time it will be a much better solution. As for the updates in the middle of a gaming session it never happened to me maybe because I set correctly my active hours and do the updates manually when I'm not playing I never saw it happening not even once. For those who are worrying about this Creator's is bringing more choices for updates. Among them an option to stop updates for 35 days.

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    That never experienced too

10. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    And what about the 4 GB Vram limitation for 32 bits dx9 apps Microsoft, will it ever be fixed?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Unlikely.

12. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    So as we expect, they will limit background task and will be only for "tested" games (so windows store and everything what Microsoft choose, you will not have rights to choose) Still Windows 7 better, there is not many task to disable, running fast, and directx12 working (with hack)

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There really is no difference in performance from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What you are going to run into though, is at least with Intel and Kaby Lake for example you're going to randomly get the Watch Dog BSOD in Windows 7 and 8.

As well as if there are any new extensions for architectures that can bring performance benefits, Windows 7 and 8 will not be able to understand it.

And no, there is no DX12 hack for Windows 7. DX12 relies too much on dlls and kernel extensions to be forced on an older OS.

14. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Nothing better than MSMG ToolKit https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/50572-MSMG-ToolKit
    to create a custom Windows 10 installation USB ISO without the bloatware.
    If you castrate too much some cumulative updates will fail to install, but
    can remedy by creating a new updated USB ISO and update from there, but must
    also have to disable internet during the procedure.
    Can get the updates from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
    or https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/57050-Windows-10-Hotfix-Repository
    NTLite is also interesting, but not free. https://www.ntlite.com/

There is also the Windows 10 Post Install Debloat [WIP]
    https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/72801-Windows-10-Post-Install-Debloat-WIP
    I did not test yet because prefer the custom ISO.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I hope it is not the only reason you have not upgrade, because it don't. you just have to set update to be done when the pc is inactive ( inactivity time ).

I suspect this is a bit more than just suspend process, but more in a sandbox style. threads used by the game will run on their own (reserved ), and other process will be deported to non used thread .

16. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    "Oh look at us, we're implementing game mode."

Why not 15 years ago when every 1MB of RAM and CPU tick was important? So many years of gaming under Windows and they can't figure it out that it would be good idea to cut some other load while gaming.

Just... pathetic.

17. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    So you will have to keep the Xbox Live services active for this to work?...

Anyway I like how they say this will work best on games sold on their own platform and probably not in any noticeable manner on Steam. Microsoft just as dishonest and perfidious as ever.

I'm still very salty about having to spend an extra hundred bucks to replace the PCB on my Xbox One fightstick because it is proprietary to Microsoft and only works for Xbox Live games such as Killer Instinct but doesn't on SFV ect..

18. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Things like "Game Mode" always sound good in theory. The problem is games require many system resources and these resources can be different for each game. In practice, I would be willing to bet that there are many games out there utilizing system resources that Windows will shut down while in "Game Mode". This will cause many headaches.

Although, those resource-intensive (NOT!) UWP games from the Windows store should benefit greatly. Imagine bejeweled in "Game Mode"! Such smooth video with less dropped frames and such...

On the other hand, if Game Mode really works for most games (even non-UWP), the PC will increase the gaming performance gap between PCs and consoles immensely.

19. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I keep seeing this stuff and I suspect it's all from people like this one that don't actually have 10 installed.I have never had it reboot in the middle of anything it always does it in the hours you set it to.I suppose if you kept ignoring the notification it might never tried that.

20. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    I've never had it happen to me, as I have auto updates disabled. But I did see it happen live on stream to a streamer I was watching over the weekend. It popped up mid stream (was in dutch so not sure exactly what the box said) he clicked out of it and continued to play. ~15m later his stream went offline in the middle of him playing. He came back after it rebooted.

Seems to be more of a user issue in that case (ignoring the notifications etc).