Crossfire Nightmare @_@

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Satan, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Hey guys I need some help cracking the first of my problems with this new PC. This one is pretty bad and I'll do everything I can to get a fix, as the system just isn't the same without it (specs can be seen in my comment:
    Crossfire.

It seems that the computer just does not want to recognize my first graphics card, only my second. I've got two Sapphire 4890's (which I want to be working and in crossfire obviously) and a DFI LP DK 790FXB-M3H5.

So both graphics cards are in and clearly getting power, my configuration in terms of slots is one on top slot (which I'll call the first card) and one in the middle slot (which I'll call the second card). The second card is the only card of the two who displays video when connected. The motherboard is reporting "FF" constantly on it's debugging LED.

The PCIE3 setting, if it matters, is in this configuration of jumpers (default) --> || || |
    The mobo manual says this for PCIE 3 setting, but nothing more; I can't figure out if it's even relevant and what I should do with it:

My Internet Explorer flashes (not to black, but definately blinks), although no other program flashes. Games work fine, although temps may be a bit on the hot side granted it's summer.

My thoughts are that there is either
    A. Something wrong with how my jumpers or crossfire bridge are set up.
    B. Something is wrong with my BIOS settings.
    C. Something is wrong with my motherboard itself or the first graphics card itself.

The manual can be found here for reference.

Ask anything, I can take pictures, etc. My friend who helped me build the PC will be over tomorrow to help me look into this and give me motivation to not be lazy ^_^

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Put gpu from first slot to second slot and then gpu from second slot to first slot... It should tell you if both gpu's are working.

3. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Good call, will try tomorrow along with any other comments. This was one of my later thoughts after posting this thread. BTW- unrelated, but- how have you been Tate?

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You may also try different drivers, but those cards should be detected without reinstalling drivers... Just put another card to slot and should start working... Should not cause detection problems, but did you remember to put CrossFire bridge to those cards ?

Sent you a pm about how I have been :)

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    3 PCI Express (Gen 2) x16 slots - 2-way CrossFire at x16/x16 or x16/x4 bandwidth - 3-way CrossFire at x16/x16/x4 bandwidth

i have seen a couple of boards thet say to ust slot 2 and slot 3 for two way CF and slot 1 is the slower 4x you could try that

6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    also on page 33 of your manual you'll see a jumper setting for generation 1.0 and 2.0 type card settings have you made sure that it's set to gen2 type

7. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Yeah, it's at default. I'll check slot 3, just tried changing power connectors and changing slots, but it did nothing. I tried different CF bridges and CF bridge slots, and even using 2 CF bridges simultaneously, to no avail. They don't still use the dual-dvi dongle in CF, do they?

It looks to me as if they are all PCI-E x16, it says so in the manual. I'll actually consider trying slot 3, although I do not think it would be preferable, as I may block something.

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If you mean this:

[​IMG]

Then no, they don't use it, they got rid of it with X2xxx cards. Last card which used that dual dvi thing was x1950.

Try and test both cards separately and see what happens.

9. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Both cards work separately. I hope to god my mainboard isn't broken. I'll find time at some point to swap the cards between 1 and 3 and 2 and 3 (in terms of slots, whereas they're at 1 and 2 right now).

10. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    So is my next step replacing my mainboard (jesus ****ing christ)? I spent all night up with my friend trying to troubleshoot it and we just can't get anything to work in the top PCI-E slot, and nothing can go in the bottom PCI-E slot as whatever goes in there blocks the main motherboard power connectors and won't fit in the case anyways.

11. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    So... as it turns out... my motherboard is probably defective, with a similar failing PCI-E slot issue as others' have had on Newegg. So I'm going to call them up and ask if I can return it and pay the difference for an ASUS Formula III, because I don't want to have to have another motherboard like mine with that issue and others looming over my head.

12. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    That sounds like the best course of action. Newegg should be able to refund you since you didn't purchase it that long ago, then you can pay the difference to get the Crosshair III. If they make a fuss, just raise hell till they agree. :p

Sorry to hear about the bad slot though, it can happen sometimes. Best bet is to just get it replaced under the return policy.