Counter-Strike: Source (Multi-Core Rendering Update)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nick0323, Sep 21, 2010.

1. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
  2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Well yeah, they're porting Counter-Strike: Source to the Orange Box Engine.

Graphically, it allows for better effects & detail, but the MAIN reason is the improved netcode & Engine fixes.

3. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I thought this was done months ago? When the big update to CS:S happened?

4. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    No no, it's still in beta, if you go on your Steams game list if you own CS:S, you can find "Counter-Strike: Source beta" as an available download.

5. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    For some reason I thought it was out of beta with the last big update that added icons and all that other stuff that brought cs:s in line with the orange box games.

Also sure it had the multi core rendering then as I remember playing with that setting before.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Multicore support was just added when they released the beta with acheivements added. DoDSource has had multicore for quite alot time. I did notice my fps went up somewhat. Im running max settings 8xaa @1280x 720 and it wasnt that much gain except for it feels alot smoother especially when alot of people are running around in gun game or large servers.

7. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    I turned the option on , loaded up a server and something i noticed right away..

When i press the fire button on my mouse there is like a 2sec delay between pressing and firing :biggun:

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Uh.... lol you guys have it all wrong

This multi-core optimization just went to ALL multiplayer orange box games (which basically are just TF2, CSS, and DODS, as L4D1/2 are technically not on the orange box engine)

CSS has been on the orange box engine for months, it was released from beta months ago, but this multicore optimization is new for all games

CSS Beta came back after CSS was ported over to the orange box because they still want to test CSS in the beta stage and get patches tested before they release new patches

also, YESTERDAYS PATCH

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  9. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Yup, Multi-Core rendering has been there for some time in the normal version of CSS but left as Disabled by default as it was in testing.

This is an optimisation to enhance the feature that was already there. Optimisation and a half I might add...

10. TriGGlety

TriGGlety Banned

GPU:
    HD6870 1G -(1680x1050)
    No its on HL2 , Ep1 and Ep2.
    Im sure I saw it when I replayed em all, when I got my new monitor about 2 months ago.It was disabled by default which I found strange.

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    It's disabled by default because it's still undergoing testing.

I don't know whether if yesterdays optimisation for the Orange box games enables it by default but I would hope so as I just gained 150FPS in the stress test.

As for Half-Life 2, EP1, EP2 they haven't released any updates for it yet.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    They've got 2 versions, available to everyone:

• The normal css, which has already been ported and updated several times
    • The beta where they try new stuff that could seriously alter gameplay (mainly)

The next big official update (non beta) will include more options for the crosshairs:

• Full RGB range of colors from 0 to 255
    • Ability to set thickness of the crosshair lines

And a revised inferno, featuring some alterations to resemble the 1.6 version a tad more. The multicore rendering was already there, but now it has been uptimized further.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Uh, again, MULTI-CORE OPTIMIZATION does not = MULTI-CORE SUPPORT

What was JUST UPDATED on CSS, TF2, and DODS, was OPTIMIZATION for Multi-Core Processors, NOT multi-core support which has been there for quite some time

I'm really finding it hard to explain this as you guys just aren't understanding it, i'm not saying that as in insult either so i hope you do not take it as such, i really just do not understand how much clearer i can be

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    on my system with HT set to ON only 4 threads are used

15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Perhaps there will be a future update to support processors with Hyper-Threading. This would also give an advantage to people with single core Pentium 4's with Hyper Threading.

For now though I'm severely happy with a 150fps gain and I'm sure you must have got better than that with an i7 !

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea it fixed some odd uneven optimization that was with the last multi core patch like a moth ago.. that one ruined everything, game stuttered and i had some odd pauses;

but this new one fixed it and TF2 feels smooth again, finally!!