Core i7-5775C Priced at $479.99

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 16, 2015.

1. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    same here :thumbup:

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It would be likely then that the Skylake CPU's will cost even more! :S. No doubt people will try and compare an i5 Skylake to an i7 Broadwell, and then claim the pricing is basically the same...

Even when AMD Zen comes around, I don't see Intel dropping their price too much. There are a considerable amount of people who are pro-Intel, anti-AMD, so even if AMD does produce a sucessful 'Zen' CPU, Intel won't lose too much in terms of profit. Consider this, if Intel make $30 per CPU, if their market drops to half what it is currently (which won't happen), they need only to make $60 a CPU to make up the shortfall. That means an extra $30 to the cost. By the time there is the other costs added on to that like extra tax at sale due to costing $30 more, extra profit for the retailers etc (only a dollar or two), it would probably be what, $45 more?

So, if you consider the above, you could argue that the increase in pricing is in response to the upcoming competition. Normally that doesn't make sense, but in a pro-one company scenario such as this, it is actually more profitable for them to do so. In other words, the Intel consumer is less swayed by price, and they would only buy Intel anyway. The other consumers (say, even if it is 40 percent) would buy the cheaper AMD, but Intel hasn't lost out any since the loss in profit of units sold is well and truly covered by the gain in the increased price.

I hope that makes sense!

3. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    i7 with Ddr3 support, L3 6 MB, TDP 65W @ 480$: with 75% leader on Cpu market is what I expected from Intel. :D
    More high prices will come if is not competition on this market.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I'm glad to see some many saying that they are not upgrading and I hope there is many more so Intel will finally notice that what they release is not interesting to us at all. We need a real upgrade not this little meaningless increments.

Personally I do 50% rendering and rest gaming and watching films so more cores is really what I need, I'd buy 5820k, but can't be bothered with mobo change also, I will probably wait for canonlake to be released, and if it is not 6-8 core than buy skylake E.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I know exactly what you mean...:D How true it is...!

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also To me the only other reason to purchase this CPU is to test out the Iris Pro graphics and see how they would fair vs an AMD APU.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Honestly, though, I think what happens with the "E"s is fairly positive...note that they are only recent additions to the Vishera line...and I think that's because AMD has been increasing yields to the point where they can bin a sizable number of 125W cpus which will run just as fast--or about as fast--at a TDP of 95W...! That indicates really excellent yields on the process--I would think. Plus, my old cpu, an FX-6300 was not an E but TDP'ed at 95W just the same, and I had little trouble clocking it to ~4.5GHz with stock cooling & voltage settings (auto would max it at 1.45v or so.)

I enjoyed this very brief article on overclocking the 8320e. It was weird--I stumbled on this article after I bought the new stuff--and the guy's using the exact hardware I bought...;)

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    *waits longer*

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Same here, 2-3 years.

10. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Still not much of an improvement over my good ole' 3930K. When will Intel bring us the real next generation of their processors? Is it because their only competition is primarily focused on APU solutions and not competing with Intel CPUs?

I guess these baby steps from Intel will just continue to keep my money in the bank.

11. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Everyone says this new CPU is comparable to a 2500K and up (somewhat).. How much better is the 2500 and 2600 vs my 920 @ 3.8? Am I being left in the dust for CPU power?

12. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    I'ts hard to describe but the jump from i7 920 (with an X58 Rampage II board) to the 2500k (with a Z68 board) was very noticeable for me when I did do it a few years ago.

Now I am rocking my Sabertooth Z77 mobo with a 3770k and see no need to upgrade - despite having a serious itch to do so!

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sandy did a big jump from Nehalem. Until then all we saw are minor improvements not really relevant for a gamer so with Broadwell looks like nothing will change.

Skylake on the other hand looks kinda promising.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Maybe Intel feels bad for AMD so they priced this chip so high that people will start buying AMD again.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Why so much people drama about the price??? it's just 10$ more than actual i7 unlocked (btw you can see the effect of the psychologic price :) 10$ less and no one would have done drama lol)

more seriously, upgrating from actual K to this is a waste of money as we change socket in a few, it will be interesting if you need a new rig right now :pc1: or if you want to update from a celeron or pentium (hmmm celeron on Z97 :wanker:) to something more "with balls"... but i don't know if they shoudn't wait and buy new socket mobo/cpu combo when in shop.

And about the price it will get down after a few... (as always with intel).

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    AMD do very good job on low/medium segment and Intel can't compete with it :)

but on med/high... lol:banana:

17. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080

Not 10 bucks difference between 4790k and the 5775c, $140 dollar difference. It seems like probably 4.7GHz 4790 = about 4.3 or 4.4GHz 5775c, maybe even less than a dif, I don't know.

18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I don't know where u got only 10$ difference here the 4790k is 450$cad which is 370$US. That's still 110$US cheaper!!!

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    $10 bucks um no. Try $140 since the 4790k is $339.99 on Newegg.
    Also the 4790 is around $310 on Newegg. You do the math.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    As soon as my X58 sells and my R9 290,
    Im gonna be pucking up an 3930k, 16GB 2133mhz ram, and X79 board, and 120SSD for $600.

Screw Intel and their price for this cpu.