Bug in Windows 10 Insiders-build crashes games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2016.

1. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Bill@TheGang are losing nerves:

huge $ losses because of the decreased demand of "their" phones, tablets and consoles, and very, very slow adoption of win10...
    Why should we wonder? The Android is dominating the market 'cause of it's high customizability and "openness", Sony is the king in console area, Apple is the king of tablets (closely followed by Android). The only area where m$ is not left out in the cold is PC gaming (yeah, yeah, DX that is). And, lo and behold: that's EXACTLY where they make huge blunders! :infinity:

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What huge blunders?

Where did they screw up with gaming?

3. aeryn36

aeryn36 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac gtx970 tri-sli
    Im confused with that last on, the xbox 360 and the one aint that bad and as far as I know doesnt xbox live currently runs at 40 millions users or something. The surface pro is pretty good, *using one at work*, the opening adoption rate of windows 10 is higher than windows 7, as far as gaming is concerned id rather use ms windows over linux, no offense, i use both.
    I do prefer Android over Apple but thats mainly due to the excruciating painful frontend of Itunes *shudders*.
    Sony maybe leading the sales of ps4 over Xbox one, but ive never had sleep issues or rebuilding database problems with my xbox one. I have had my PS4 replaced twice and damn it i was so close to the finish of the last of us its just not funny. grrrrrrr.
    Tablets is six and two threes, my son has an Apple mini and I have a galaxy tab 4, both are about as crazy as each other.

As for games, I love GoW, Minecraft, viva pinata, Halo ..........

I think its always gonna be PoV topic, MS makes good and bad decisions, but like it or not without MS we may have been stuck using OS2 *violent shuddering*, I for one use a seperate PC altogether for OS testing and always will, incidentally the one OS i had the worst issues with was Vista, ME oddily enough presented less issues for me than Vista, was still a POS though lol.

Anyway, have a great day :D

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Last I checked, Windows 10 adoption rate is pretty high and Microsoft is catching up to Sony as well...

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF

They allowed gameworks and ati software to happen ! Untill now they were kings with Dx ! I think in 5 to 7 years we'll see the end of dx , just like OpenGl

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    OK, the only Insider's build affected by the graphics-stack bug is 11102, which Microsoft released yesterday, 1/21/16.

It also seems that the bug only affects nVidia GPU drivers...not AMD GPU drivers...I installed the build after I discovered this little fact (which Microsoft did not elucidate) and all of my games are running well.

(EDIT: I goofed here...I ran several games and assumed they'd all run, but W3 will not load at all...so I shall probably revert...to build 11099...)

Last, the Insider's program is *not* Windows10. Windows 10 can be obtained here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The Insiders program that is being referred to here is *only* for people who wish to help Microsoft *beta test* builds before they are ever released to the public. These are *beta builds*--not for the public and mass consumption and not for those with weak stomachs..;) For instance, the latest official build of Windows 10 was tested by approximately 5 million Insiders for four months before it was released to the public. The next official release will have been tested just as rigorously, if not moreso. That makes Windows 10 the most tested-before-release OS in the history of Microsoft. I thought 8.1 was much better than Win7, but Win10 just blows them all away. Well, people still have > 6 more months to update for free if they own either 7 or 8...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    builds ment to testing, and people wanting to help with testing, crashing? what shocker, if your using insider on your main system it your own fualt....

Posting stuff like this does not but put the vultures of the internet on a feeding frenzy

8. Zemial

Zemial Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7970 @ CF
    My computer crashes when I go in full screen, windowed mode works. What the hell microsoft?!? My build is Windows 10 10240 and this started in this week.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Why haven't you updated to TH2?

Or are you running LTSB Ent?

10. Zemial

Zemial Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7970 @ CF
    Nope, I have Windows 10 Home BUILD 10240 and I have automatic updates On. Anyways, This crashing thing started a few days back, Can't play any games at full screen. So depressing...

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just grab a TH2 ISO from here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Mount it, and upgrade to TH2 manually

12. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Can this iso be installed over top of an 11102 install without losing any settings?

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure if it will let you install an older build as an upgrade, run setup and see what it says before committing

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    release that fix the crash were deployed before the post :)

15. Zagmak

Zagmak Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1650 4GB
    In the name of science I just want to add that: (If you use Windows 10 x64 don't read)
    If you try to update the built-in windows 10 audio driver with any other/new driver in Windows 10 Enterprise x86 (Version 1511, OS Build 10.0.10586.63) + X-FI Titanium PCIe for shure you'll get Blue Screen. :wanker:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't currently play the games listed and so far not had any issues with the games i do play.

Wouldn't complain if i was having issues as it's what i signed up for.
    I enjoy messing with beta software, but not entirely sure everyone who signs up to these sort of things understands what could/should happen.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

So if the issue only affects Nvidia users, it would suggest the bug is in the Nvidia drivers not the OS. Or, the bug is only evident with Nvidia drivers, but in any case it does show that Microsoft are making changes to the underlying architecture despite what people think. As I've said previously, if people don't see changes in the user interface they tend to think there are no changes to the actual system itself. In reality the changes to the user interface are unrelated to the underlying system changes that affects software and hardware support, compatibility, and performance.

It's unfortunate that people still think that the insider preview is meant to be perfect and bug free. All these complaints will just mean we could go back to a slower insider preview release cadence. Fact is you should ONLY be using the insider preview if you are willing to risk having bugs AND report any issues you have through the feedback tool, whether it is about bugs, improvements, or upvoting existing reports. I've said something similar to that too on here, and people have disagreed with it. Disagree all you like, it doesn't change the fact that the sole intended purpose of the insider preview is for exactly this reason.

Earlier on in the insider preview programme on another forum people were complaining of various bugs and things that don't work as expected etc. I said they should report it through the feedback tool, as that is the only way it will be resolved and the whole intended purpose of the insider programme to begin with. The responses were usually along the lines that Microsoft should do better before releasing the update, or that they can't because they're not part of the programme etc.

What it comes down to is the world is full of idiots, and unfortunately when it comes to the insider preview programme, there are idiots on this forum as well ;). Basically if you aren't happy with the insider previews, DON'T USE THEM!

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That "smell" AMD GPU driver related problem, not OS.

Specially in your case because you use CFX.

Last release (16.1) completely broke CFX support.

19. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Said no one ever. It was not "fine" It was a pile of garbage and everyone (except you) knows it

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You guys need some serious help apparently to understand the point of a thread, as your replies have no logic to them.

Slow adoption of windows 10? lol? by slow adoption rate you mean fastest adoption rate they have ever had? that's interesting way to put it

Your post seems completely filled with wrong information it makes me wonder how you even made it to this thread. And android? dominating the market? Sure, of tablets and phones, which windows shouldn't care about. It does care about it, but we're on a PC enthusiasts website, so what is the point of your post?

How did you even get here?

What does gameworks and ati software have to do with anything?

Are we in a conspiracy theorist forum or something?