Boston Marathon bombed

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Chillin, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    True.

Unless it's martial law (Like during a Hurricane).

Then, I'd rather be long gone.

-scheherazade

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    People are just dumb. "Gee, I really hate paying taxes, let me go blow up some random people I'll never know". Not saying that was for sure the reason, but there's no such thing as a "good" reason for random violence like this. It's just poor logic for these people to think that they're making a statement of some kind.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Doubt it has anything to do with tax day it's likely just the dense consentration of people for the sick bastard to mame and kill indiscriminately.

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

Could be. Has lots of media coverage already in place too.

Remember this ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Austin_suicide_attack

-scheherazade

5. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
  6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Question for the experts - Why are most of the injuries, leg injuries? Intentional by the terriorist, or is this due to the way explosions send intense vibrations up the legs causing them to blow out/shatter.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Probably has to do with what the explosives were placed in. Remember, force goes down the path of least resistance.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They probably packed the explosives under a storm drain cap or something, making most of the force around ground level.

9. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    They were inside mailbox/trashcan.

Also 3 people have died, as of now.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/323971204589424640

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I was just looking at Google street view. I noticed that there were no garbage cans usually at the location:

42.349779,-71.079047

Am I the only who noticed that the bomb went off right in front of the Consulate of Portugal? The other one went off (according to the NYT) in front of a Max Brenner.

11. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    This is so sad and frustrating, what would be any reason to do such an act???

12. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
  13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    As other have said this is a tragedy. Many innocent people maimed, and so far of the 3 dead, at least one is a child.

Been listening to the TV and I'm not really pleased to hear some reporters speculating (some blaming) either anti-government or pro-2nd amendment groups for the bombing, with evidence of "Sandy Hook people waiting at the end of the race", the mood of "attacks on the 2nd amendment", "Tax day", "Near April 19th which holds quite significance", or etc.

First off, most anti-government people or groups direct their anger, thus attacks, at the government. While 99% are non-violent (such as protests, tax evasion, etc) when the few that strike out do, they do so at government buildings, law enforcement, and quite often will strike symbolic targets of the government.

Secondly, while an completely uncalled for accusation, even if someone had some motivation regarding the 2nd amendment they would have not ever targeted Boston Massachusetts, especially a marathon. They would have targeted a place where recent gun laws have been very restrictive on the 2nd amendment (New York, Connecticut, Colorado).

But both of these "ideas" ignore some rather simple facts about the event. Two IEDs were detonated in chronological proximity, with a third (possible 4th) likely to have done the same, each spaced 100 yards apart. Given the security of the area, more than one person is likely responsible. Multiple perpetrators significantly lowers the likelihood of it being an anti-government/pro-gun as they are more likely to be "lone wolfs", and most certainly would have to be given the target was not anything related to the government. It is a crowded street and family event. Even if the person was mentally ill and some how had a very crazy illogical conclusion to the legitimacy of the target, given multiple perps, such a conclusion is very unlikely. As I said, family event, public place, crowded event - the targets were the people.

If you study terrorists events (like I have for work) when you look at all the different ideologies, capabilities, patterns, and historical attacks, of the list below, there is a only one of likely candidates for this type of attack.

Anti-government attack buildings/symbols/law enforcement
    Anarchists hide amid protests and attack targets of opportunity
    Ecologists attack research facilities/ships at sea
    Mentally Ill Lone Wolves attack areas with no security and usually predict being caught
    Foreign Government, guerrilla warfare, assassination of government, infrastructure sabotage

Finally, International Terrorists attack economic/transportation infrastructure and public areas with high profile in order to incite fear and uncertainty

Such people fit the profile of type of venue for the attack, the individuals being targeted, have the capability (guessing the devices resemble those used in Iraq/Afghanistan but made with over the counter ingredients), and both a pattern and history of such attack. It doesn't mean they are foreigners, but that they are ideologically similar.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Stukov: If im reading your post correctly your (in short) saying that:

If it were a group that is protesting certain reforms or legislations etc, then they wouldnt attack the very people whos rights they are fighting for.

second: foriegn terrorists would choose a govt type building and/or far more crowded and closed in areas to maximize damage.

Third: in-house terrorist would most likely be lone wolf, but the distance and number of bombs suggest more than one person.

15. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT

You want to know why? It happens on a regular basis and it's in a ****ty part of the world.

A bomb going off in a middle eastern country....you might as well do press coverage about the sun rising everyday.

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    is it me or ara the questions reporters asking 80% on the news just retarded especially of medical staff,,,

17. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    This marathon is the biggest event in boston all year round. plus great publicity for a bomb like this.

see for yourself, loads of people on the street, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHnpHZpFcw&feature=youtu.be

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    seems to me like the bombers just wanted the media attention, not to kill alot people.

19. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Yeah my thougts too.

Anyways my thoughts are with the people affected.

20. Garrgoyle

Garrgoyle Guest

GPU:
    HD7970@925MHz/5500MHz
    Just got online to read this. I can't believe this world has so much hate. those poor people died for nothing. If they catch these bastards they should be lined up and shot dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.