Bose wants to apply noise canceling in cars

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I agree - it should be made law that all cars must be bright pink with flashing lights on them, because old people have difficulty seeing as well as hearing.

[​IMG]

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Too bad Bose are the Apple of the sound world. Set them selves up as a premium brand even when they're selling junk, produce sometimes okay products which aren't really repairable, seem to always have planned obsolescence, and cost literally 2-12x equal or better products.

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Lol.
    Almost all german/european "premium" cars have it for +10y, and bose is the stock setup, not the upgrade.
    Those are usually comimg from someone like B&O/B&W/Burmeister etc,
    either active when playing music, or in combination with cylinder deactivation (for fuel saving, V8 or 12 to V4/6)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Does anyone know how well something like this works ? I mean the principle is simple, but they need to correct for the noise before it reaches you which doesn't really leave that much time for recording the sample, processing and reproducing the same wave with opposite phase.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    it works on 300$ headphones, doubt its an issue with car speakers.
    sound travels way slower than electric signals, lots of time to do that kinda stuff...

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think it's still quite some work that needs to be put into it. Balancing out noise cancelling in more or less closed headphones or in ears is quite different to trying and do it in the passenger space of a car. Needs a lot more speakers and balancing to do. Also, you need the final version of the car up front, complete with different sets of interior materials used, etc.
    Also, I think the difficult part is that you have to analyze the incoming sound and calculate the "counter" frequencies in time, which gets more and more difficult the higher the sound's frequency is (thus, lower sounds are easier to noise cancel properly than high pitched sounds). Naturally you are right, and they'll have an easier time with a car's sounds, but cancelling out things like a bird's song or human voice is probably much more trouble.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Take paper and pencil. Draw 2 sources of sound. One as noise other as canceling source.
    Draw their spacial waves. Amaze on stupidity of those who believe in noise cancelation over large spaces.

Now imagine interior of car and mark surfaces which will be creating that undesirable noise. Draw waves created by those surfaces. Enjoy.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I was not aware of this, still thought i was just kidding :p

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Haha I figured you were kidding, but I thought I'd point that out just in case.

Venix likes this.
  10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    even back in the mid-late 90s, at least alpine (that i know off) had head units/eq that would be connected with a mic to measure the inside of the car with special test freq,
    to then make up for different amount of ppl/where they are sitting etc when listening to music.

where you are sitting in the car, can be programmed with dummies, calibration for speakers is already common on HT systems (which kinda usually are in big spaces),
    and then to spend a couple more bucks on a few mics in different positions (to pick up the different noises), isnt really a problem either.

the NC is supposed to filter out road/car/traffic noise, not voices (still possible, look at WH-1000XM3).

and most of the systems i've seen that have NC, in lets say an A8, have easily +12 (most even more) speaker, so thats not an issue.

drive something like MB/Audi?BMW equivalent/or higher, with and without NC active.
    once you sit in a car going 110-130 mph, and you have a conversation like sitting on the couch at home, i know it works (good enough) to make a difference.

11. woop woop! woop woop woop!

Sir do you know why I'm pulling you over? o_O

Uhmm... no :oops:

Why not :cool:

Cause I got "Noise cancelling by Bose" Officer :D:p

:mad:

fry178 and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It has more use than to stop being annoying.

Sustained noise damages your hearing.
    You can hear a very loud noise for a split moment which can cause harm or a much quieter noise for a longer period.
    They are both attributed to hearing damage.

As pointed out earlier, you will be able hear people talking much easier, whether on the phone (hands free ;)) or in person.

The droning noises of a car can send you to sleep.
    It should help with that.

Not.

fry178 likes this.