Blizzard Sues Cheat Maker Gains 8.5 Million In Court Ruling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Good, I'm pleased they're having to pay for it! I hate the whole cheating/hacking in online games, I still play them though.

3. R3AP3RAFK

R3AP3RAFK Guest

GPU:
    980 4gb
    True... Hacking ruins it for everyone, so I am happy when I read articles like this. Score 1 for non hackers/cheaters.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Good for Blizzard and a win for gamers. Nothing ruins a good online game like blatant hacking or cheating. That **it really pisses me off.

I don't quite understand the enjoyment of cheating. That's an Eric Cartman kind of life. Sad.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Very niiice, high five!

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It would be nice if EA had balls this big.

7. mrclass

mrclass New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX980
    Good job Blizzard!

In the meantime Valve sniffing glue in Valve HQ.

Hope they do something about the blatant cheats in CSGO

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I have the game on my library and don't dare to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    That was the exact same thing that popped in my head when I saw the title. CSGO is synonymous with cheating now.

This does set an interesting precedent. I am not particularly hopeful though.

10. Himola

Himola Guest

GPU:
    4 x Titan X Pascal
    I'm not against the curt order or any punishment for a crime BUT when Blizzard banned the cheating players they did not pay back the money charged for subscription so if let's say a player had a 6 month subscription and they got banned after 2 weeks, those 5 and a half months of game paid was not refunded. Isn't that a crime as well?

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Why should they? Banning players is fun, as well as selling new keys to them, check out most sold Steam games... CS:GO is always among the top 10 sellers, means for great steady cash flow. Also, steam earns some digital credit via the market's transaction fees, and CS:GO items are the most traded I believe.

Probably so, if somebody tried to sue them for 50$ (something like that or is it more?) they might get that money returned, but morally, I couldn't care less about a cheater's subscription money being returned. If one wants to be super correct about things, they should have to pay back a fracture of other player's subscription money for each time they ruined their gaming time with their cheats. Hell of a job to figure those numbers out :D

12. Himola

Himola Guest

GPU:
    4 x Titan X Pascal
    Actually Blizzard ruined the game because there are a lot of games that doesn't allow addons or any other third party intervention so giving the fact that they were incompetents and could not develop things that players needed, they allowed others to do that.

The 8.5 mil should be given to the payers not to Blizzard because we were the ones dealing with bots and other crap like that.

Also if you are looking now in trade chat you will see hundreds of advertising to buy for real money things in game. They allow that, no one cares about that. They are just in this for the money... Hope you can see the hypocrisy.

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Good news, I really hate cheating even like bots in really grindy games.

Having a strong character in a grindy game reflects the efforts and skills of a player with a good build to get to where they are.

I used to play Silkroad Online, in this game I ran an legit char in an anti-botting guild. I was proud of my char which was a hybrid char (normally considered rather weak for PvP) unbeaten in hours of daily PvP for 6 months straight up to 5 lvls above mine. I did not even buy gold (that stuff is either mass botted or stolen from scammed/hacked accounts).

That game went from social, helpful people and fun in its way playing in active & chatty dynamic grinding parties, to 95% plus of people botting, often with up to 40 chars each 24/7 grinding for gold and rare drops even without being a gold seller. This attracted arrogant players who enjoyed bullying legit players of lower lvls + weaker gear.
    - I revisited one of the most popular grind spots with a new char later and went 3 days without seeing one live player lol -.-"

not to mention destroyed game economies etc etc etc

The HUGELY inflated prices of good gear meant that Most players either bot farmed or bought gold, this led to the gold sellers finding it easier/faster to steal peoples accounts to strip than it was to farm gold.
    Thieves managed to steal the games central user database where user passwords were only protected with unsalted MD5 hash codes (pretty easy to crack). The company running the game, JoyMax, tried to deny it for Many months before even warning people to change their passwords.
    --- So So So many people lost their accounts, often worth thousands of dollars and representing many thousands of hours of play/work

Soon enough most of the good players quit = dead game

Cheating hurts games and many people trying to play them. I enjoyed this news today :)

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well in the end you accept an agreement, if you end up Cheating it's all on yourself.

I wish Botters in WoW got a Perma Ban, 6 Months is too mild.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well the modding stuff is something that most publishers try to avoid for obvious reasons. Giving people the mod tools, or not, has nothing to do with online cheating in competitive game environments. Those people aren't looking for a different colour palette for their game, or to introduce better content like new skins or maps, they are just using cheat programs for their personal advantage. That's a completely different story, starting by those cheaters' motivation.

I agree with you that the players should receive the money, but honestly, no company would ever do that. It's a lawsuit probably based on terms of service, which is a contract between the ones using the game (which is only licensed to use not modify, hence an anchor for a lawsuit), and sadly not between them and us fellow gamers.

Oh I indeed do see the hypocracy, hence I wouldn't play CS:GO even if you paid me for it. Also, that's why my above comment mentioned their earnings from said game (CS:GO) and how much money they make off it, loving cheaters that buy new accounts on a regular basis as well as the created flow of items over the market, or at least transactions, because I don't think they care much about scams either.

16. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    I it was anything other than a money grab using sloppy US laws and the propensity of US people almost always find in favour of domestic companies, then Blizzard would have gone after Bossland in the EU, which could have effectively shut down Bossland world wide.

now I am sure Blizzard make far more money from the rest of the world than they do from the US users.

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Before you buy the game you have to agree and accept the terms of use, the stuff people never read. There it states they can ban you if you use modifications or exploit the game.

Any player getting caught should be IP banned forever from that game.

18. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    This is stupid. Instead of spending a lot of money on lawyers to take down 1 (out of how many????) cheat providers they should be using it to make the games more resilient to cheats as a whole. Most of the cheats out there are possible for one of the following reasons: game bugs, or fragile design that offloads work/logic to the client to save costs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh but say if blizzard made more money or were not losing so much off hacks the user could not sue them?
    true victims are the people playing the whatever garbage game they have

20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I wonder if would it have worked better if a game company setup a server just for botters, banned them and resold cdkeys so they can keep botting?

Just setup the cheat detection on protected servers,redirect them to the bot server / prison server and leave them there.

Win win!