Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, tree vs helicopter... tree wins every time :wanker:

2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah...you need to do that closer to base like I did one time so it just says you were shot down but not captured...

3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    You have to do the objectives first and then when ordered to RTB to crash??? Please help :)

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I think the conditions for that ending are to have completed the primary objective which is take out at least three of the AA units and then go down in enemy territory which is anywhere outside a radius of 2km from base and do it before any of the infantry units on the map breach the defensive line (the idea being that that is now Bluefor territory). Or if you just want to play the pilot rescue mission I ULed it for you here...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/24/414397//CE5B_FromHell.Takistan.pbo

5. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Awesome thank you!!!!

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Makalu u are a star!!!!
    I been fiddling around with thus game for the last few days, just about to embark on a campaign....Good to know I can play that mission regardless.

I'm having trouble finding smooth settings, what settings should I be looking at using with my rig. I am a complete noob to this series.

1)I have HT on, should I use the parameter to limit to game to 4 cores only as HT is meant to slow this game down right? Edit: just seen the beta patch addresses this and sets it to 4 cores only anyway
    2) I'm trying to use very high settings, but it feels a little laggy, what should I turn down ?
    3) what view distance are you guys using? does it affect fps much ?
    4) what video memory should I set ?, I have 2gb fo vram

Ps I am using the latest beta patch

Edit: I don't know if i've got a problem re the Ram and Vram detection for this game but my .cfg file says
    localVRAM=535156736;
    nonlocalVRAM=535156736;

But I have 2gb of Vram and 8Gb of Ram in my system ????

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Another AO beta patch showed up today, making Build_72107 the latest one.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    sure np...it is probably the best mission in the campaign...i'll know for sure if i ever finish it ;) I really can't help you much with the settings as I've not had to mess with them much and not sure which affects performance in OA the most and I'm good with 25fps if it's not jerky. For what it's worth my view distance is set at 4000 at the moment and yeah it affects performance a lot. Best advice I have is run it from a fresh OS installed on the first partition of a drive along with the page file and install the game on a freshly formatted or majorly defragged first partition of a different drive...should help with stuttering.

9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Cheers man.

I'm running OCZ Vertex SSD's here one for my OS, another one for games - therefor i don't think its HDD access causing the stuttering.
    I dont have a pagefile thou (as got 8GB of ram) maybe the game needs one???

I'm trying to disable Vsync now as it seems to be forced on in the game..no luck so far it always remains on, maybe this is contributing to it.

Cant help feel thou that the game isn't detecting my ram properly thou..as i've posted above the values in my .cfg file show
    localVRAM=535156736;
    nonlocalVRAM=535156736
    Both of these values equate to about 512mb ???

Anyway i kind of resigned myself when getting this game it was going to be a real challenge..in more ways than one !

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I am using 4000 view distance with Antialising Low, Normal Textures, Default Video Memory, High Objects, High Shadow, Very High AF, 1920*1080 both resolutions, Post Processing Low. With this settings the game is very playable for me. I get 42 fps in OA benchmark.

Your detected Video Memory should be around 1070313472 to be correct as 2gb in crossfire its not actually 2gb. Set Video Memory to Very High if its not detected correctly because default it uses the cfg detected one and in your case its wrong. Also the game needs page file. Set it auto in windows.

Also to disable Vsync you need to use ati tray tools and create a profile for the game. In the profile there is an option to force disable Vsync. Its not the regular option you will see in CCC and its available only when creating a profile for a game.

11. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Thanks for this ^^
    With those settings you've got I get 54 fps ave in the benchamark (but with AA and AF on normal)

My card has 2gb of Vram (I have no CF) so should I set a value of 2140626944 for localVRAM, and set Video Memory to default ?
    What about the nonlocalVRAM value set that to 8562507776 ?

Managed to get the vsync off thanks for that, feels alot less mouse laggy now !

I still get this annoying framerate skipping though occasionally thou still trying to get to the root of that. Im gonna try with a pagefile and also Hyperthreading off now see how it is.

12. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Changing the value manually has no effect unfortunately. For more info go to http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg

I think its better for you to setup a page file then restart and delete the cfg file and then start the game and let it recreate it so it may detect your settings correctly.

13. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:

Welcome to ARMA :)

It is a game like no other, and this one issue is the bane of the game engine.

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I've set up a 2gb Pagefile (on a ramdisk)
    I then did as you said, but its still showing
    localVRAM=535156736;
    nonlocalVRAM=535156736;

in the new .cfg file

How annoying i've got 2gb Vram and 8gb Ram (well now 6 with 2gb pagefile) and its not even detecting them.

My settings at the mo are..View 4000,1920x1080 res,1920x1080 3d,Texture high,Object high,Terrain high,AA & AF Normal,Shadow high,Post process normal,Video memory default.

Game is running 45-70fps for the most part in single player (only doing the scenarios atm) but still get this little skip or stutter now and then.
    I've tried HT on/off = no difference and pagefile on/off = no difference.

I'm using one scenarios in particular to measure the effect of my changes.
    Its the little bird one.
    This level particulary shows the skipping/stutter whilst flying around.
    Its only intermittent (its not like a constant)so i guess i'll just live with it now and start trying to get into the game !!!!!

15. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    Turn Post Processing off. The occasional skip/stutter is the game engine. This is ARMA. You will be assimilated.

16. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    If its not detecting the values correctly set them to very high in game. This way you force the BI predifine very high setting that is let say the maximun you need anyway. I think is for 1gb cards but its better than 512mb you have with default.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The memory option "default" actually uses the highest quality textures, v.high uses light downscaling whereas none at all is used for default, which as the name indicates leaves them at their default size all the time, or so I've come to understand it since the option was added to the ArmA engine in a ArmA 1 update a while ago.
    (1 GB Vram recommended, that was for ArmA 1 though, unsure what it would be for ArmA 2.)

18. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Hey guys.
    I finally decided to buy this game. I liked "Operation flashpoint" and this one seems even much better.
    I have a couple of questions though. I will buy retail box and I would like to know one thing. Do I need to download every single patch for the game or the latest will include everything that was changed in previous ones.
    I can see that this thread has 33 pages already which I will read but I want to start at least as soon as I can.
    The other question is about the mods. When I get the game I will have a compain but do I need to get some mods right away with extra missions or I should finish the original first. What I mean is if the extra missions part of the game or they are just stand alone missions?
    Thank you.

19. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    Anyone get CTD's while trying to setup the keyboard assignments?

Also don't those programmers know what alphabetical ordering is? lol

Going through keyboard assignments can be quite annoying when all the assignment names are jumbled up.

20. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    @ Mr_Alexander

There are three different versions of A2 to choose from, which are ArmA2, A2: Operation Arrowhead (standalone addon) and A2: Combined Arms (ArmA2+OA). I would recommend the last one since you said you liked Operation Flashpoint (i hope the original one from Bohemia Interactive and not the infamous part two "Dragon Rising" done by Codemasters).

Just the latest full patch is necessary and you can install the latest beta one if you like on top of the latest full one. Installing a beta patch still allows you to choose if you like to launch the latest regular version or if you want to go with the beta patch, so there is no risk.

The latest versions are:

ArmA2: 1.07

ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead (Standalone Addon): 1.52 / Beta Build 72107

Official addons like the AH64 or the quite cool mini campaign "Eagle Wing" for ArmA2 come along with the patches. Custom addons like islands, units, weapons, missions for all kind of game modes are fully optional, but can be necessary on some multiplayer servers to be able to join them.
    Best way to get used to the game is by doing the training missions and then you might try the campaign.
    Hardest thing to master are the keyboard settings, since there so many. ;)

@ Vector
    CTD was fixed in one of the beta patches iirc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010