Ancient PC Components What to Do???

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by N0sferatU, Sep 30, 2019.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I'm spring cleaning my closet and looking to get rid of a lot of stuff debating what to do.

Good chunk of the hardware is from the 2000-2010 era. It's dated motherboards, RAM, PC cases, etc. Just throw in the trash or something I can do with them to get rid of them? Do local places recycle? Do Goodwill/Salvation Army type places take it?

Unless a particular component could grab some cash I really don't want to waste time listing them to sell. The only thing that's niche and worthy of anything is probably my Auzentech X-Meridian (the original).

386SX and airbud7 like this.
  2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    you'd be surprised the price old motherboards go for because people simply cant get them anymore. knock up a few bundles, or make a nas / linux box at home with them too?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  3. Cool legacy parts can sell. Hell, list what you got in the Buy/sell section of the forum. Never know what someone will want or need.

386SX and airbud7 like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    A lot of people use those to play old games natively on OS+HW they were meant to be played on.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I guess RAM is the most valuable. The rest, maybe give them away. It's sad just trashing computers.

user1 likes this.
  6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I will concur that old motherboards and ram, can still sell for a bit of change, especially if they are in good shape. they tend to be the sort of things that become more scarce over time and are not easy to find replacements, where as things like cpus virtually never die.

386SX likes this.
  7. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    I have a bunch of stuff too, never thought about selling it...hmm anyone want a couple of ref 5770's? a 7950? an old barton core 2500x?...lol I got em all.
    Ill post it up in the classifieds to make it official...and not piss off the mods...

airbud7, 386SX and insp1re2600 like this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I still have my 386SX, but since a few months it won't boot anymore, so I just keep it. I don't have the parts to do a check where the issue is. This computer was the first one I ever used. It will get buried with me. :D

But I agree, you never know what stuff sells.
    I try to sell me Intel 750 Pro with 400GB to someone near me for a couple of months now, but since you can get pretty fast M.2 drives for under 100 Euros now nobody likes to buy a PCIe drive for 250 (was about 350 when I bought it). It's a fresh drive from some RMA I did some time ago and has barely been used since getting it. Sitting in its plastic box ... waiting to get used somehow sometime. About 230.000 IOPS and 2200 MB read and 900 MB write on PCIe 3.0x4 . Nobody wants it ...
    Mostly I get the question "You know you can get a Samsung M.2 960 EVO 500GB and still be cheaper??".

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Just as long as you don't throw it in the trash. Either recycle or sell/give away on enthusiast forums.

10. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I already have a Synology DS1019+ so no need to make a NAS/Linux box.

Okay maybe this weekend I'll look up the parts. Where's the best place to list them other than here? Is there a dedicated place for selling older PC gear? Kind of like how audiogon is specific for AV stuff is there something specific for computer gear?

I agree it's sad trashing computers but they're useless to me. I do keep them for the long haul since I don't game much these days. For example my gaming machine I built in 2013 still runs strong. Core i7-3000 series with a GTX 1070. It "works."

Interesting point as above I'll perhaps list them somewhere just need some guidance on where. Not looking to go crazy and ship international.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Make a museum in your office of hardware from every 5-10 years.

12. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Okay what do you guys think these things are worth? I don't know the make & model of everything. Nor do I recall what CPU or RAM is in the motherboards other that when I last powered them down they were working. I don't feel like separating the motherboard/cpu/ram setups. Cases I have no clue what make or model they are.

There's two cases, a Dell Monitor, a Corsair 650 Watt power supply, two motherboard/cpu/RAM combos.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M5A99FX-PRO-R2-0-Motherboard/dp/B008B6ONXK
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-73PVM-S2H-LGA775-GF7100-Motherboard/dp/B000Y0ZGGO

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-2005FPW-Widescreen-Panel-Monitor/dp/B0009IPTJU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I'm typing right now on my brand new Ryzen 7 3700X powered by one of those "ancient" Corsair TX 650 PSU's...
    That old PSU is probably better than many new ones sold today ;)

386SX likes this.
  14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Risky, i had an old TX850 explode the other year.

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    There are signs when a PSU which is usually of good quality is too old to be used safely:
    - Random unexplained lock-ups or reboots
    - Exhaust air of the PSU is hot for no reason (even under moderate load)
    - Coil whine/Other buzzing noises which weren't there when it was new
    - The fan has stopped working altogether and the PSU is very hot to the touch
    - Computer shuts down under heavy load (synthetic GPU tests or max load tests like AIDA64), even if otherwise works normally
    - Unable to sustain overclocks which seem to be common for other people
    - Computer does not resume from idle

All these are signs of worn out capacitors or other components which are now out of spec due to old age.
    They can cause unstable voltages (which can be observed with an oscilloscope), too low or too high voltages (measured simply with a multi-meter on the 12V, 5V, 3.3V lines), conversion inefficiencies (too much heat) and ultimately the PSU failing completely (sometimes with a bang).

My PSU doesn't exhibit any of these symptoms (except for the fan which became noisy a few years back fan, which I've already re-oiled with high-quality sewing machine oil and works perfectly to this day).

Did you check or notice any of these signs prior to your TX850 "exploding" ?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the main thing you'll notice on those old tx and hx's is the 5v will be hugging the low end of the tolerances when under load.

the 3.3 and 12v are solid on them.

17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Yeah, no issue prior to it bursting,

Id never again skimp, by using an old psu.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  18. I'm selling so much old stuff on eBay on account of well - fear of "hoarding" - making money too, pretty penny. I was surprised what some people value older things at in the present.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    This temps me to put up a couple of pristine EVGA GTX Titan SC for sale. About the only thing stopping me is, I have a ten year warranty on them. If one fails, I get them both replaced with a GPU approximately equal in power to them in SLI.
    My Nephew is still using one.

Astyanax likes this.
  20. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    How are you finding the fair market value of them? I put the up locally on letgo right now and other than one spammer I got no bites. I don't feel like separating the RAM and CPU and just keeping them attached to the motherboard. Figured a "working" motherboard (comes with CPU & RAM) is better than just getting the motherboard.

386SX likes this.