AMD Radeon RX 5500 cards available starting December 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How can it replace rx590 when its slower? From what i've seen its also slower than 1650 super. Amd must price not more than 150$.

Maddness likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I hoped that AMD will release those cards earlier, and change my decision to buy an used Vega 56.
    But I am almost done waiting.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    If it is around RX570 then it would be good.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The content you have seen thus far is based on an OEM HP card, not retail. Often clocked lower than retail. Next to that, it has been done with early drivers. The difference between 570 and 590 is what,. 10 maybe 15% overall? There's plenty of room there with a few clock increases to get NAV14 close(r) to RX590 performance.

Maddness and Undying like this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It makes sense. Im waiting for your review. :)

7. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I wanted to get a 5700 or stretch to an XT to replace my old 970 nvidia but I have had to buy some contact lenses in the last month, so I need a cheaper card.

I guess I will have to wait for a 5600 / XT to come out, I wonder why AMD are releasing 5500 and not 5600 at more or less the same time?

There was talk of TSMC 7nm supplies being not able to keep up with demand, if that was so you'd think AMD would want to do the more profitable per chip 5600 first?

8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^
    5600? Not a chance soon or anytime sooner.Get 5700 or XT in Chrismas time sales. :)

anticupidon likes this.
  9. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I think AMD made a bad move with the release dates.
    Many people like me, have waited to buy on Black Friday their system.

I got some nice discounts in some components, like Motherboard and RAM, I was even been able to get the R5 3600x at the same price of the 3600 (dispite the difference between the performance of both of them are pretty much the same), so wanted a full system and dispite the RX 570 and the RX 580 was some fine buys, the reality is that I wanted better video encoders and much better power consumption, so the RX 5500 was a big deal for me.

But AMD instead of releasing it alongside with nvidia, nope.. they release it first for OEM -.-
    Now I got a GTX 1650 Super instead of the RX 5500, and obviously they couldn't care less about that.

Thankfully I just want to use this GPU as a placeholder for 2/3 years max, but probably more people wanted a full system with a budget card and they have gone Nvidia 1650 S when they could have gone RX 5500 XD

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There will probably be 5500xt variant to compete with 1660. I though they will be released at the same time.

11. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Good idea if they happen, the problem is 5700 series is still popular so not much incentive for the sellers, however let's see!

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm somewhat pissed at AMD about this situation. I bought the RX560 as a gap card because of mining (I was not going to overpay, never), and I've been waiting for 2 years for a card I can afford...
    They announce RX5500, but just for OEMs...please, hurry the f up!

Also, will there be an XT version? Will its price/performance be like RX5700/XT? If they don't overcharge I think I'll jump XT, if it exists...

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    RX590 is old and power hungry for 2020. I would take @7nm anytime even if it is 1fps behind but smoother.

Silva likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would rather have 580/590 with higher bandwidth and more vram. Im not worried about power.

15. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    AMD lost 5% in the dGPU market in Q3. Q4 is likely to be even worse for AMD, given the 1650/1660 Super refresh and the RX 5500 still MIA (probably only by mid-December, believing the recent news).

I don't know if it would have been better for AMD to focus first on mid range Navi. The biggest fight is in the $200 to $300 range, where precisely AMD has been less relevant in recent months and Nvidia has flooded the market.

16. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Hey Hilbert, isn't that a typo?

TBP (typical whole board power consumption): 15 W, single 8pin power supply
    That's 150W right?

Silva likes this.
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not sure if this has been posted or not.

please don't, thanks.

If this is near the final product review, I'd say the 1650 Super still remains the budget king.

Silva likes this.
  18. revenge

revenge Member

GPU:
    gtx 680 lightning
    I don't know what AMD is doing man.
    They were very slow to release information, and release-date about the card on purpose and it looks like they don't really want to release this card.
    Why? Maybe they are targeting christmas?
    This timing of release is very bad.
    Nvidia has released all "super" versions already.
    Besides that, how is this card replacing RX580 when it's slower, and has 4gb memory...
    Iam actually very disappointed with AMD. Iam considering to buy GTX1650 Super

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    8gb is enough IMHO and its bandwidth, those are not 4k@60fps but 4k@30 gpus. Better efficiency and lower frame times smoother gameplay, VRR, hdmi 2.1, more tech needed. Xbox1X is more futureproof than "PC" Polaris.

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Agonist
    For sure there is a better way to say what you want to say.
    Democracy implies that everyone can voice their opinion, but let's keep it civil.
    Remember, this forum is what we make of it.
    I am not a mod, but I like the quaint, academic and cool tone of this forum.
    Please, no name calling,and no addressing to forum gurus in that particular manner.
    Your opinion, argument will lose all the logic contained and you will lose from the start the argument if you say it like this.
    Let's stop here and assume that everyone needs a cup of coffee or your preferred beverage.
    Cheers!

Ps : remember, overclocking and pc building is for people who want the absolute best bang for the buck aka cheap skates ;)
    Not everyone is rich here, me included. But we can be polite, and this comes absolutely free.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Maddness and Silva like this.