AMD Fury X Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fox2232, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Double post apologies

So with the edit in my above post, it does show that there has indeed been the "Finewine" driver improvement with the Fury, at least when it comes to the synthetic Firestrike test... Though there could also be the consideration that Windows 10 has also brought improvements since 2016 too.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure its not only syntetic tests but games also. Your card was competing with gtx980 and that score seems higher than nvidia counterpart.

3. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    The fury only has problem when the games don't like 4g cards. Normally unreal engine

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    NP at all:

[TextureStreaming]
    MinTextureResidentMipCount=12
    PoolSize=4096 <- Done ;)
    MemoryMargin=20
    MemoryLoss=0
    HysteresisLimit=30
    DropMipLevelsLimit=16
    StopIncreasingLimit=20
    StopStreamingLimit=12
    MinEvictSize=10

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup 6GB is better than 4GB that's for sure (RAW power is similar)
    IMhO Vega is holding a lot better than Fiji.
    Still You can Play all games with ease + HBCC to tackle VRAM shortage in the future :p

Undying likes this.
  8. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    Im staying with Fury for next two years. Im very curious about Cyberpunk on this GPU, but tbh i finished Witcher 2 on HD 4570M DDR2 in 1024x600 and average 22FPS and Far Cry 3 on overclocked A10-5750M in average 40FPS.

OnnA likes this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I'd prefer to save some money and do some upgrades if H/W is too weak.
    Now im into (only) ZEN2 8/16 then im skipping Turing/Navi and wait for better Upgrade:
    I mean Step-Up 1440p with min. 100-120FPS across t'all games :p (Now it looks like no GPU can do that lol)

Note:
    My Vega XTX can play all my games at 65-74Hz Easy
    (We have sliders in games :D Ultra/V.High or High, sometimes You can't distinguish the diff. between Ultra -> High)
    AC: O is a good example of DX11.1 Hog with too much of draw calls on scene (nv is better with culling in this one but chokes regardless),
    but when You put some settings on High or V.High game is stable with Chill at 65-71 NP, therefore is very playable.
    Ultra is for Screenshots.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    z8373767 likes this.
  10. wet

wet Guest

GPU:
    Fury 9
    I recently discarded the water cooling from my Gigabyte Radeon R9 Fury X and fitted an air cooler. Any body interested?

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, show some images and temperatures. Can be interesting. Default cooling was pretty good, so there is something to compare to.

12. wet

wet Guest

GPU:
    Fury 9
    From the start, then. The water pump was noisy and suggested a serious problem. Water cooling has only the pump as a mechanical moving part, and on my Gigabyte Radeon R9 Fury X, apart from the noisy pump the radiator and tubes were fine.
    A replacement water cooling pump is not available for the standard Fury system, because of an argument about intellectual property. So a complete replacement system is needed. There are some good water cooling solutions available for the Fury, from online sellers like aquatuning
    https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-cooling/
    Water cooling requires the cooling plate, reservoir, pump, tubes, radiator and some other stuff, and costs about £160 (in 2019). It's an expensive choice compared to air cooling.
    There are not many air coolers for the Fury. The best I could find was the Morpheus 1 or II from Raijintek, which costs about £70 (2019).
    http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=46
    The Morpheus box contains all you need to install the VGA cooler, with paste, many small heat sinks that attach to the Fury's hot parts, sticky pads, screws and the plate for attaching the base to the Fury. The fitting instructions are clear so long as they are read carefully and given some thought.
    The cooler's fins are copper (I think) not aluminium alloy so the cooler can be handled without bending the fins. The Morpheus is big, and requires two 12cm fans fitted to it. If you are considering the Morpheus then check the space in your case: allow for the height of the cooler and the fans.
    My choice of fans was based on the excellent fan fitted to my Scythe Yasya CPU cooler, which keeps everything at about 55 degrees. The fans I bought for the Morpheus were the Scythe Kaze PWM 12cm which move 74 cubic feet per minute at 27dBA. They are competitively priced and very quiet for the amount of air. The Kazes were fitted to push air through the cooler onto the card and heat sinks.
    What is missing from the Morpheus are instructions for connecting the fans on the Morpheus to a card designed for a water cooler. Neither the Gigabyte nor AMD web site have connection diagrams for the card. This must be because the standard water cooler fitted to the Fury has no recommended replacement. I have not found any modding advice on any forum.
    The issue is that the Morpheus is designed to have two fans, and they must be connected to the Fury, so which connection header on the Fury is meant to control the water pump speed? I emailed Raijintek and was told it is not their responsibility and a wiring guide should be on the manufacturer's web site. Now this advice is clearly wrong because if a manufacturer, Raijintek in this case, is selling a replacement component then it must tell the buyer how to fit it.* I raised this point with Tony Sahin at Raijintek and he was helpful. The answer is connect the fans to the four pin header {cannot paste image}.
    The two Morpheus fans connect to the card either by soldering a new plug piggy back to both fans, that was my choice, or with adapters. This needs a PWM splitter and an adapter; check out the web site Mind Factory in Germany.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Redemption80 likes this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Do read out member
    @kondziowy about it, down below:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Terrible video, he disassembled and removed the thermal pad, which in turn caused the card to overheat and throttle. :( I watched it a few days ago, no knock against you posting it.

kondziowy likes this.
  15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Actually, he made an update of this situation.
    I thought the same as you and even commented on this on his video, but, it seems it wasn't the problem.

OnnA likes this.

16. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    I call some bul*hit on "higher pstates" causing more performance when using thermal paste. First of all he should take videos down or warn people at the beginning "DON'T do this, if you are a noob you will probably brick your card as these are out of warranty now and you can't buy stock thermal pad anywhere".

Second of all I had 2 Strix'es and still one at home and both had max pstate as 1000MHz. The only way to make it drop clocks with stock thermal pad is to have cpu bottleneck or vram bottleneck. Otherwise it runs 999-1000MHz because this card had old dumb boosting algorithm, not Polaris or Vega-like that can boost higher than max boost clock.

Hey look at my notes:
    "
    DPM0: GPUClock = 300 MHz, VID = 0.90000 V
    DPM1: GPUClock = 508 MHz, VID = 0.92500 V
    DPM2: GPUClock = 717 MHz, VID = 0.93700 V
    DPM3: GPUClock = 874 MHz, VID = 1.05600 V
    DPM4: GPUClock = 911 MHz, VID = 1.10000 V
    DPM5: GPUClock = 944 MHz, VID = 1.13700 V
    DPM6: GPUClock = 974 MHz, VID = 1.17500 V
    DPM7: GPUClock = 1000 MHz, VID = 1.21200 V
    "

Where is this legendary higher pstate unlocking more performance with thermal paste? I'm too lazy to take my card and plug it in again but I doubt there was some bios update from Asus 4 years after release...
    And on top of that he didn't test at stock configuration, he only tested with torn apart reused pad scrapped from heatsink.

So my point is. Paste is worse than pad if you are using stock cooler. Not better or faster. This video got me triggered. RIP owners that will do this to "unlock moaaaar performannncceee".

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  17. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    upload_2020-9-18_20-23-2.png

We will see :p

OnnA, Undying and Truder like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The Fury recommended? Oh. :D

z8373767 and Truder like this.
  19. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Woah!

Smiles in R9 Fury

I guess this is going to be a shader intensive game?

z8373767 and Undying like this.
  20. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone is still using their Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury, I discovered tonight that Trixx 6.8 is able to circumvent the driver lock on the HBM memory overclock. I'm currently running my HBM at 550Mhz without issue.

Attached Files:

z8373767, Truder and OnnA like this.