Alder Lake's memory controller and fitting memory

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by GamerNerves, Apr 11, 2022.

1. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Hi!

My parents' basic office computer needed upgrading. I ordered following components:
    Intel i3-12100
    Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4
    RAM: MD16GK2D4360018XRGB

I wonder if I did a mistake by not ordering this QVL-certified RAM, which I figured out after the purchase. I'm not new to RAM things at all, but there was some hassle when doing the order and I assumed that Intel has uber strong memory controller anyway so almost anything will work. I have read though that non-K parts often have weaker silicon and so weaker memory controller (or is it really just the locked VCCSA voltage of these parts?), which can result in RAM not reaching anything higher than 3600 MHz (perhaps @CL16 or so?). Is there a legit chance the ordered PNY memory will not work as intended or should I rearrange the order (it would be a hassle). The goal of this computer is of course to work completely stable, but it would be nice to have all the performance of the memory you paid for.

EDIT. Configuring the memory to some lower values is an option of course if performance is not really lost and stability is 100 %.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it should not matter, I don think i ever use QVL certified ram on any of intel system, and only system i had issue with ram with was 920 build, which i am sure bent pins the mb had was causing that issue.

if just basic office computer i dont see it mattering, so long the ram all seen and running at corect spd or xmp spd

3. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I finally got all the parts and built the system. RAM worked as it should just by enabling XMP (Asus optimized profile, I didn't test the default profile of the kit) without memory errors. Likely in many cases a BIOS update over stock version is required though. Latencies of this XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGBâ„¢ DDR4 3600MHz kit as stated by stickers on the modules are: CL18-20-20-40

4. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I use this existing thread for a question related to the computer:

I very recently tried to play the old DOS game Master of Magic on the described system, but a custom launcher created by some modder of the game didn't launch at all. This launcher is included in the official GoG release of the game. Does this mean Alder Lake still won't launch all possible applications like it didn't work with all games when it was brand new? There is no error message by the way. Alternatively the reason could be Intel's display driver perhaps? OS is Win11 with the latest updates.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Did you install Redistributables like DirectX 9, Visual C++ (2005 up to 2022) and others?

I had some trouble running The Settlers 2 Next Generation on Win10/11.
    Edit the properties of the EXE file and "disable full screen optimizations".
    That helped me in my case.

Good luck. ;)