ages to read dvd

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by osama1234, Jul 9, 2005.

1. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    my dvdrom, which is a sony dvd-rom 16X i believe, for some reason takes ages to read dvd-r's.
    Like when i click on D: in my computer, the folders in the cd load after a while, and then trying to get into those folders isn't an easy thing, at least a minute or two... i actually haven't been able to go into a folder of a folder, it just doesn't do it.
    Is there anything that could be going on? What can i do to speed this up?
    Thanks.

2. lawrywild

lawrywild Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800GT XXX
    on my old computer i added another optical drive and my dvd-rw would only write extremely slowly at like 0.5x, turned out it was the power supply coz it was only 250w, what's ur psu, i reckon its not enough power..

3. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Make sure the drive is not in PIO Mode.

Right click My Computer, go to Properties. Click on the Hardware tab, and then the Device Manager button. Click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

For Nvidia boards, double click on the single icon, and then select the IDE channel your drive is on. Make sure the drop down menu says: DMA if available, or the check box: Let BIOS select transfer mode.

For VIA boards, double click the IDE channel your drive is on, then select DMA if available from the pull down menu.

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers as well.

4. osama1234

osama1234 Guest

GPU:
    Asus MX-400 64mb
    my psu has lots of power (i dunno how much it is, but i recall it being lots)
    i tried the my computer thing, they're all on dma if avaible
    i'll update the drivers soon.
    Thanks for all the help, i have a feeling it maybe just the cd. Cuz i play GTA:SA perfectly fine with my dvd-drive ... so its just funny cd i suppose.