9600gt cooling solution.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Wateri, May 7, 2008.

1. Wateri

Wateri Member

GPU:
    LeadTek GTX280
    I got my 9600gt a few days ago, it was a POV 9600gt with non-reference cooler and native HDMI.

The 1st impression was, the card ran too freaking hot. It idled at 56c and went as high as 85c under load. The situation didn't get better as I had the fan-reset-to-33%-upon-reaching-60c bug as well. It seemed that all other 9600gt's reviews I read so far had temperature far lower than that. So I took out the heatsink, cleaned the thermal grease on the core, and reapplied a new layer of AS5 on it. Sadly, the temperature went down an insignificant 1c.

Then I happened to get a Coolermaster Coolviva Pro SE for cheap. The installation process was a pain as the instruction booklet given by Coolermaster was crappy.

The result: 43c idle, 55c load.

I am impressed by the result, at the same time I am utterly disappointed at POV for their crappy non-reference cooler.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. *Rogue*

*Rogue* Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 OC 216
    Mine max's at about 53C (Clocked) but it does have a dual slot cooler which does seem to work very well :)

3. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    My Inno 3D 9600GT is great for temps. Idles around 40c and load is about 55c (even when overclocked :p) but then this isnt a refference cooler but does the job great. The fact it was the cheapest 9600GT i have found too at only £96 plus shipping. heres the card and its cooler if any ones interested.
    http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9600gt_armour.htm

4. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    LOL. mine is about 51Cº always, playing a little bit more (im a web designer, maybe phtoshop, flash and dreamweaver make it hot, am i wrong?)

and, maybe a need to adjust the fan speed in rivatuner

5. sunkid

sunkid Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
    Nice clocks you got there *Rogue*.

My Sonic default clocked (700/1750/2000) idles at 43 deg. No idea about full-load or OC-ing status heh. Never was curious nor needed to check it out.

Last edited: May 7, 2008