4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350

In ccc both of my gpu's are running on 2d clocks.using 8.9beta.

2. KOS-MOS

KOS-MOS Member

GPU:
    HD 4870x2/POV GTX280
    Hi Peentje,
    Welcome to the club, I will look into the 2X4870X2 issues and report back when find something (my second SAPPHIRE is on order but held up waiting for the 1500W ThermalTake). Did you manage to run vantage on them yet? Or any other results would be welcome.:)

3. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I will test it now for you ;)
    I'm gonna OC my CPU @4.1ghz and report back in a moment with a vantage performance score for you, kinda curious myself since I haven't had the time really to test it yet.
    Btw, the 1500W is a bit overkill ;)
    I have a 1000W PSU and with my cpu @4.2ghz and both X2's benching my power consumption doesn't go much higher than 600-650W, I can monitor it since I'm using the MFC2 fan controller from Zalman which monitors the power consumption. Even a 850W PSU should be able to handle it just fine staying within the good load range for the PSU.

See you in a bit ;)

4. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Ok here it goes, first a little bit of specs of my test setup:

- 2x 4870 X2 CrossfireX with Catalyst 8.8 beta (standard clocks 750/900 core/memory)
    - QX9650@4.1ghz (1.38v)
    - Vista SP1
    - Vantage 1.01, standard settings with 1280x1024

[​IMG]

I don't really know what scores I should get as I haven't compared to similar systems yet, if anyone has an idea you can always tell me :)
    I still have the feeling I might be restricted by that one core clock that doesn't seem to wanna go above the 507mhz as I've documented earlier, but I'm not sure if it's accurate or not...

5. KOS-MOS

KOS-MOS Member

GPU:
    HD 4870x2/POV GTX280
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  6. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    That's one of the many fan control links I've already read but still can't get one of them to work through profile editing, using rivatuner now, works great.
    Btw I was wrong before, power consumption of my system during benching was 690-720W so yeah, a 1000W PSU is really at hand to be in the best stable load range.

When you get your other card and PSU post your scores here also ;)

7. 4var1

4var1 Member

GPU:
    Dual 4870x2 - EK blocks
    Ah ok, thanks - didn't know that - I'm running 8.54 at the moment for no particular reason.. Maybe I'll give those a go

8. Döderlein

Döderlein New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 X2
    I`m also in the club! :D

But I do have some questions, which may or may not be n00b. :p

1) I noticed somebody said that the one GPU was automatically downclocked when not running 3d. So I wondered if overclocking these downclocked "idle"-levels were any point, seeing that the drivers will automatically overclock them to the default levels when they are initiated?

2) I can`t really notice any difference on the fan when I turn up the value in RivaTuner (tried it at 100% just to check, couldn`t hear anything then). I`m supposing it somehow doesn`t work? :S

Thanks in advance. :)

9. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Indeed, if you wish to run your card at the default clocks of 750/900 when gaming you do not need to change anything, it's only when you plan to overclock to higher core speeds that you'll need to manually overclock each of the cores. It doens't stick to overclocking btw, it's also a good thing to underclock the cards at like 450/450 core/memory to save on power consumption when not doing anything heavy or just for regular windows tasks. I have a seperate profile for this. In that case you also need to underclock the second core manually.

Well for me it worked, using v2.10 but if you're running only 1 card then you should have no problem setting the fan speeds through a profile. And believe me, when it works on 100% you'll know it straight away lol :)
    The fan speed control problems should be completely fixed in rivatuner v1.11 which will be released within the next 2 weeks according to the forums, it's in late beta testing now.

10. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:

thanks for the feed..

Other then that , guys it'll be great if u could tell us more about the performance up's and disappointment you've had performance wise with these card..
    Since most of you've had the 8 series either single or Sli..

I get this feeling that almost everyones just alright with the performance but not blown away..
    The 8-series is like a 2 year old card , is the X2 that Dream Card/substantially better then the 8 Series , in real world gaming that is..

I've been through all these pages , expected more people to say..
    OMG , this cards fracking amazing...
    Infact I think I haven't seen anything like that here...
    Or maybe I'm very sleepy and need to read everything thing again.. :p

Btw is anyone playing Red Alert 3 Beta with the X2 !

11. spigen

spigen Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD4870X2
    Where can I find this. Oh yeah new 4870x2 owner :)

So any suggestions for this card? I saw some custom fan settings somewhere in the thread, plus a download link for a cpu fan program. Anything else worth noting?

anything must have?

thanks for the input.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Man I have alot of names to add. I may have to drop the system specs thing as there are far more people than I ever anticipated.

13. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    I honestly dont know , I bought C&C Kane's Wrath , so the Beta Key come with that..
    Other then that I guess most folks got it by registering @ fileplanet earlier..

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yes you now have a 2nd job :D

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't think thats fair, seeing as I am already trying to start up a website soon as I get my LLC, in addition to the 'day' (thats over night) job.

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Get on with it then! lol:D

17. Hxx

Hxx New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 x2
    4870 x2 drivers

Hello everyone, first time poster here
    Got my 4870 x2 about 2 weeks ago and have been playing with it since then
    I fell in love with this card
    using the 8.8 drivers for vista 64 bit

resolution fixed at 1920 xc 1200
    about 32fps in crysis very high settings
    about 90 fps avg on GRID

1280 x 1024 res
    14200 ish on 3dmark vantage
    19500 in 3dmark06

1. Are these results good? / bad? - what u guys think
    2. should i be trying newer beta drivers? If so , where can i get those?

Thanks

18. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    here is my score!

[​IMG]

19. cr1515

cr1515 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 4870 x2 stock
    psyxeon I got that result more or less but with my q6600 oced to 3.6ghz. Is yuors oced to 3.6 ? or is it stock ?

20. Starmonger

Starmonger Active Member

GPU:
    4870 x2
    Supreme commander runs much smoother with AI set to advanced, it runs pretty good now. For those who are looking for a game to push your system to the max- supreme commander is deffinatly it (along with crysis).

Still im not having much luck getting anything out of crysis. im using the official 8.8 drivers, as the other betas wont install (i get a display driver not there type error). So ive given up on crysis for now as it runs like crap on my comp. did someone say that the official 8.8 drivers werent as good for crysis? or was that BS?