1440p 144hrz 27 inch monitor recommendation

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by ramthegamer, May 12, 2020.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I have a 1080p monitor but planning to get 27 inch 1440p 144hrz monitor, i heard that acer predator 27hu has issues with blurriness when moving around, and i hate that, i want clarity and 1ms response time.
    Any recommendations?

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This is something I've been contemplating for the last couple months. I'm leaning towards an MSI 27 inch 1440p curved, 144/165hz but prices are all over the place. I think I'm gonna hold off for a sale.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    im itching for a 27 inch 2k, i wanna see clarity, i love clarity

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Haha, I'm not so concerned with the resolution, but more about the refresh rate. Now obviously running 1440p takes some graphical horsepower, but if you have to you can scale back to 1080p. Still though, a new monitor will last me for 6 years at least so I'm holding off for a good deal and value.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The LG 27 GL 850 was a nice upgrade over the Dell 27 16 D but it does have some drawbacks, Blur Busters has a nice little section for displays and recommendations and monitor review sites can also help with some in-depth info such as the panel types and what not. :)

https://blurbusters.com/

https://www.displayninja.com/reviews/monitors/

DCI-P3 instead of SRGB ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCI-P3 ) gives some real nice color clarity however while the display carries a HDR signal it's both 8+2 FRC via dithering and not a native 10-bit panel or higher plus it lacks the backlight functionality and barely achieves some HDR NIT value of 350 compared to the lower spec 400 and the recommended of 600 or ideally higher.

144Hz was a big improvement over 60 though current displays would need to be driven by a display port cable until HDMI 2.1 GPU's and monitors are on the market especially for 2560x1440 or the current trending "4K" resolution or 3840x2160

Adaptive sync so it can do both G and Free sync but it lacks the G-Sync scalar module and it's advantages and it doesn't do FreeSync2 it's good at both but excels at neither compared to a dedicated G or Free sync monitor.

LG calls their IPS tech Nano IPS but it is still a IPS and it does still have variable amounts of IPS glow plus a lower total black level which I think LG calls 1000 but the real value is around 850 still good but not the best for IPS and compared to VA panels at 2000 or higher well it's a trade-off although VA's are improving and have seen more high quality and high-refresh high-resolution models on the market recently too. :)

LG also goes with the whole 1ms gray-to-gray response time but that's on a higher overdrive mode which has ghosting and other issues unlike the default fast mode which has few if any drawbacks but the response time is closer to 2 or 3ms as I remember.

So it's fairly cheap and a pretty good display but it's not HDR it doesn't do G-Sync nor Free Sync 2 instead opting for having both via adaptive sync specs and it's a IPS but much as Samsung and LG makes their variants of it the panel comes with some of the common flaws although it is still fast, somewhat poorer black levels and it's a 2560x1440 panel with DCI-P3 color and 144Hz.

Launched late 2019 and has had at least two revisions since (This one was a Rev02 it launched as Rev00 and then a Rev01 model is also out possibly just tuning the firmware a bit likely for adaptive sync ranges and what not.) but since then LG themselves, Samsung, Asus and a whole bunch of others have released new monitor models which is why I just linked to both the Display Ninja review site and also Blur Busters going more in-depth into features like response time and adaptive sync plus the full Free Sync / Free Sync 2 panels and of course G-Sync which I would really recommend but they can cost a bit more. :)

https://www.displayninja.com/lg-27gl850-review/

That's the review for it, I don't know too many display review sites and found this after a bit of searching in addition to TFT Reviews which I've used earlier.

Makes for a good comparison using multiple sources plus the usual user opinions which as expected is pretty mixed but it's good to get both positive and negative impressions for what the strengths and drawbacks are and just general user impressions or reviews on it against tech sites or Youtube video hardware tests and such. :)

EDIT: Eh I'm terrible at explaining, I can use my own impressions somewhat since I picked this one up though I try to cover the negatives more than just the good bits and as mentioned there's been other developments as well and additional Nano IPS (NIPS? :p ) panels too in addition to the usual from manufacturers like Samsung and their tech and of course Acer or Asus, Dell and well..all the others? :D
    (Samsung calls their Super IPS or something wasn't it so SIPS then although there's also OLED and other tech which yeah I have a lot more reading to do on that subject heh. :p )

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    tjx a lot for the post man, i don t wanna be confused, i just want a good no ghosting 144hrz 1ms monitor, but i will check this thx

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah.

It's one reason I also included Blur Busters as they have some really good info on this particular subject and far as display manufacturers go several of the listed features can be very optimistic or under very specific conditions especially the response time.
    There's white to black and then the gray to gray update rate and then for the panel itself there's overdrive modes going above spec a bit faster but with drawbacks as a possible side effect making it more or less useful or even unusable.

This sort of info helps clear that up and you get a good and fast display which also doesn't suffer from artifacts or ghosting or excess blurriness. :)

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

You don't want the image to be this to show it clearly. :)
    [​IMG]
    (Fastest update mode but it's practically unusable, normal and also fast work well but this one is best avoided in fact "fast" is the default likely due to problems such as this image shows.)

EDIT: I'm no expert myself, far from it so having some good information for this really helped.
    And everything else that has changed over the years, I don't upgrade the display that often so I tend to miss a lot of the newer developments that has gone on in the meantime. :D

EDIT: There's even a bit of a recommended list on Blur Busters for a very convenient overview of what the current recommendations are.
    https://blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

That already helps cut down on some of the numerous displays on the market without going into in-depth info or comparisons for each and every one.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  8. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    I bought a used Asus PG279Q recently (from a dirt cheap AOC 32'' 75Hz), very satisfied with it... good colors, 144/165Hz etc etc... ofc now there a newer monitors that packs same stuff + ELMB with adaptive sync enabled. doubt you'll go wrong with any good IPS/VA from a proven manufacturer.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Wow this monitor is pretty expensive, for half that price i can buy a 55 inch samsung tv lol,

10. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Yeah, it is... which is why i bought used hehe, got it for 350$ (a steal imo, since i can resell for 500 hehe). But my point was, if you look at cheaper 27''/144Hz monitors and read some reviews i am sure you can find a good/decent VA/IPS, especially if it is a pure gaming screen ie. no color correct production work :)

ramthegamer likes this.

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i think the closest to my thinking is the AOC agon 271qg, but i really need reviews on it..

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I have one. It's a great monitor. Uses the same panel as the Asus PG279Q and the Acer Predator XB271HU.

ramthegamer likes this.