11.6 WHQL BSOD Investigation

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by guy_uoft, Jun 15, 2011.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Just used BlueScreenView, and it seems none were related to the drivers at all.
    Maybe it's just my luck for having the system crumbling down right after installing 11.6. =|

For the moment, scratch my system from the 11.6 affected list.

In any case, try using that little program folks; you might find it interesting.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If so many have had no problems with any driver apart from 8.860 and Catalyst 11.6 (they both use the same Direct2D & Direct3D drivers), and the BSOD tells us its atikmdag.sys, then sorry to say its a driver issue!

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In my case, it's not.
    Calm down.

Anyway, on my system it was ndis.sys.
    I believe it has something to do with me changing the BIOS setting for UPnP OS to 'Yes' from 'No', and then back to 'No' again for testing purposes.
    Somehow that screwed up my Wireless-N USB dongle (a D-Link DWA-140) drivers.

4. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Using the 11.6 drivers here... no problems for me

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Im starting to believe that in my case the BSOD its due to incompability of this new driver 11.6 and my HDTV LCD connected via HDMI :/ , they changed something on this driver that is causing the BSOD , as all the other previous drivers worked , dont know for sure.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Have you tried another monitor with HDMI?
    Or maybe using another connection to your HDTV such as DVI or even DVI-to-Dsub?

It's not for knowing whether it's the driver's fault or not, it's for knowing what made the BSOD tick.

7. DJRiful

DJRiful Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6970 2GB
    Just to confirmed on my HD 6970...

Connect to HDMI, DisplayPort I get BSOD at bootup...DVI works perfectly.

I assume they messed up the code on higher bandwidth connectors + audio. I believe is the AMD/ATI audio driver to run with HDMI

8. srps

srps Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1
    I'm using DP and have 0 problems, though I don't use it for audio...

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

My card doesn't have DVI, only 2 HDMI and 4 Displayports lol.

Either way, it stll means a lot of people would have issues if they have anything connected via HDMI or Displayport!...

Can you send a driver survey response and tell them whats going on for you?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I might give it another try with the ati HDMI audio driver disabled (and not set to update during install... see what happens

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Well that was a pointless exercise! Page fault etc atikmdag.sys with the audio driver disabled.

12. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    I installed them this morning got the bsod problem too first time ever had to roll back 11.5 to get the pc booting normally

13. wolfie71

wolfie71 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
    XL2370(Samsung) not switching off...........FALSE!

Since i installed the 11.6 the monitor has not shut down...blah blah blah....

and poor fool of myself, i'm sorry i just did NOT realize my aluminum mousepad is the responsible, it's a brand new CYBER_SNIPA and the mouse slides at any little vibration often so the screensaver doesn't start so neither will the monitor switch off then... ...:bang: My 2nd post and... next time i will ty to be more accurate or check well anything i do post here sorry, it's just that i'm more than a bit of fool+dumb...
    11.6 Catalyst drivers are just working fine except for that i see some lines of 'graphical corruption' in the middle of the screen while watching Dirt3 video repetition of my played games...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  14. Neoonline

Neoonline Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5830
    Yesterday I had installed Catalyst 11.6 and suddenly after rebooting BSOD happened. after couple of try switched video card output from HDMI to DVI and finally BSOD issue solved.

but still after logging in to windows screen goes black for a few seconds then everything is normal and ready to work, unfortunately in the past 36 hour windows Aero also crashed two times which never happened to me before. once it happened when I was watching a movie with VLC and browsing web with firefox and other time it just happened after I waked up my system from stand by mod.

my system config:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Asus m4a78t-e
    Phenom II x4 955
    Msi Twin Frozr Radeon HD 5830
    2 x LG W2261V (one was connected with hdmi to video card which caused bsod after installing catalyst 11.6)
    4 GB DDRIII Corsari 1333
    785 Wat Real PSU.

15. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I had the BSOD after installing as well. But i have solved it in my case. For my case, it seemed that 11.6 didn't like the Iz3D driver (i've installed the latest beta one).

I had Iz3D already installed and 11.6 was causing a BSOD at bootup.

So i've uninstalled Iz3D and i could boot again.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Good News and Bad news , i tried this drivers today in an old Samsung 225BW 22'' LCD Monitor that i gave to my brother long time ago and guess what ?
    It installed succesfully using DVI connection on that old dinosaur Display :/ , so in my configuration its the HDMI connection to my HDTV LCD and my New 24" Monitor Using DVI that its not working and BSOD , i bought a new HDMI Cable and still BSOD when trying to install this driver using my HDTV LCD. So definitely they did something to this driver that it is affecting new displays ,be it HDTV LCDs or New LCD Monitors.

17. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    I can confirm this also, i decided to switch to DVI instead of HDMI, Installs no problem :) haven't rebooted yet, didn't ask so will leave it for now :D

So hope AMD see this thread somehow. nice drivers tho, better performance in Crysis2/RedFaction arma/brinks still abit iffy if not worse than 11.5a rc5.

LG W2261VP also, nice find guys. thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    BINGO :thumbup: , i think we are up to something here , HDMI or mini its giving BSOD , anybody else with a new monitor having problems ? Be it HDMI connection , DVI or Mini ? I hope we are on this bug toes so that we can all submit the findings to AMD/ATI.

19. ROE_HUNTER

ROE_HUNTER Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 Vanilla
    Almost installed 11.6 , but I am using a HDMI monitor , going to hold off on these for awhile .

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There is a strong co-relation between this BSOD and HDMI or Mini conections from Video Cards to new displays which are showing this problems.