Next Generation NVIDIA Ampere reportedly to offer 50% more perf at half the power

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2020.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    They've done it before. Maybe not 50%, but they've had some good generation to generation leaps in performance, even when AMD couldn't compete. I don't think we'll see it happen this time though. I'm guessing RTX performance will be the focus because let's face it, it needs to be.

Also, they have to continue pushing themselves. Nothing worse than becoming lazy and then having a rude awakening.

DeskStar likes this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, Nvidia is a respectable company in my book, so I won't doubt their desire to push the boundary. However, there has to be a limit to how huge chips they are willing to manufacture for the masses.

3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If true this is huge!

DeskStar likes this.
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Here is to seriously hoping for the goodie good in all of this...

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    you both got me completely wrong what i wanted to say other than showing that his own estimate of how much it will cost to run the cards on his area showing that pretty much it can be as low as 10 bucks a year up to 300 ...pretty much i was presenting my argument in high detail why the 273 euros he posted was completely irrelevant ^^

DeskStar likes this.
  6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    It'll still be a massive die, and if they put out a card that outperforms the 2080 Ti by 50% at the same price or even cheaper, then they make themselves look really bad. So a more expensive card is coming.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    If its 50% more performance, id be suprised if they cut the price to less than the 2080Ti at launch, id imagine that whatever is at the same level as the 2080Ti for performance (3070 maybe???) will be priced the same as the 2080Ti then they cut the price of the 2080Ti series.

AlmondMan likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    The "half the power" intrigues me the most. I can always save up for an upgrade, but the continuous electricity bills are another issue for someone with my modest income. XD If it turns out true, then skipping 2xxx and 2xxxS was a good move.

9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Got to remember that Nvidia will probably still be on this node for the 4xxx series so they will hold back on performance for the 3xxx by making the chips smaller (i.e. less cores) so they can be sure of a good performance boost for the 4xxx chips a year later. Hence I expect a rasterized performance boost of more like 35% (which is about what they normally give). There's going to be a bigger boost to ray tracing and DLSS however as that's the new thing, and the area where performance is weakest.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    having never been the case at any point in the past, i doubt it.

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't think that's gonna happen, when the new cards launch I think they'll set the prices of their 3xxx series range at the same price or lower than what they did for the 2xxx series at that launch...so they'll lower the price of any 2xxx series stock that is left over. So for example I think the RTX 2060 and RTX 3060 launch price will be the same (or maybe lower) - I think 2xxx series cards were hampered by their high launch price and poor generation on generation performance...these 3xxx series card will be a bigger generational performance increase, but I think they realise they overpriced the 2xxx cards and that it's time for them to start winning back the hearts & minds of their fans, I think they realise that their brand has been diluted and somewhat tarnished by the 2xxx generation even if they do happen to still be the fastest gaming GPUs that we have access to.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Never is very strong word. I think that it is in realm of possible. And both AMD and nVidia will push for it even for gaming. Otherwise they'll pull out of gaming when server grade GPUs become much more cost efficient to make thanks to becoming MCM enabled.
    (Why would they throw 35% of wafer away to make crazy big gaming dies when they can have just 5~10% waste on smaller dies for MCM?)

Then there is cloud gaming. It is in rather awkward position, right? One who can get MCM working eats it whole over time due to being cheaper for same performance.

I think there are reasons for both to try their best and get it working over time. Maybe 1st few generations of GPUs which will work in MCM will sux at gaming, but over time, they'll analyze, understand and improve on those limiting factors.

Maddness and Robbo9999 like this.
  13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Rumor has it, big Navi will be Rdna2, 2021 release together with zen 3, rtx is deadly weaker, Huang leaves Nvidia, Intel takes a huge loan and Lisa Su goes for US president. la profecia!

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    rumor cannot decide if its navi2 or navi+

15. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Gotcha! Thought for sure if was the other way around...

Venix likes this.