I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Yeah I don't know if you'd done this but I remember when the first Titan came out - Skyrim was big as ever back then. I bought one cause I was like wow this looks nuts I loaded Skyrim up with so many mods and it just nearly capped out my 6 gigs of VRAM on that sucker hehehe I had to turn off that fog mod that added volumetric fog everywhere cause everything plus that was just too much.. :) man I loved playing Skyrim this had to have been like what 2012 2013?

I had a 2K monitor, 27" I recall that much. I honestly don't know what res I played at (I'd assume 2K - I just know I had the same monitor back then cause of how long I'd had that monitor)

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Personally if i'm able to get a 3080, as long as CP2077 doesn't go above 10gb @1440p i'll be happy, even if i don't keep hold of it too long.
    The other side of the coin is i'd bloody love CP2077 to use masses of vram way more than 10gb as that would indicate a beatuiful game indeed, special even.:p
    So yeah, i'm basically sitting here hoping CDPR don't go all uber textures on us, which is a sad state and all nvidias fault imo.
    *my fault too for basically not being rich, which i'm cool with.:cool:

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I harassed NIXXEN for months about it XD

alanm and Deleted member 213629 like this.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    you're actually right.
    sooorry for not realizing that Mein Leben + RTX is not maxed. Turns out you can up textures from ultra to uber and brake 8GB vram pool.

only problem being I cant spot a difference while inspecting stills, let alone.. can you?

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...tein-youngblood-image-streaming-001-ultra.jpg
    https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...stein-youngblood-image-streaming-001-uber.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows A window has slight differences.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    is that a diff?

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Uber has some tiny differences in shadowing (my guess is that it activates ambient occlusion), but the differences are incredibly small, need to look for them carefully...
    Certainly not something that is noticeable during gameplay.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah, adjusted for the slightly offset screenshots.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    during gameplay? I CANT SEE THEM WHILE INSPECTING STILLS

image diff says RED is the difference: disregard trees whose difference due to waving trumps any possible IQ difference.
    https://abload.de/img/da22jzj27.jpg

this is like ABX-ing 256 kbps mp3 vs 320 kbps, trying to find a difference, let alone figuring out which one sounds better. Still... toyota is right in principle - you can brake 8GB card on 1440p - today. In one game. With a silly setting.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, they could have insane level of texture detail that uses 20gb vram on ultra settings... and then maybe 8gb on medium settings. That would be the ideal anyway, for the game to be able to run on mid tier hardware on medium settings, but really pushing the boundary on ultra settings - a new crysis if you will :D

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The one thing Nvidia didn't comment on in the reveal and I noticed later on the Nvidia marketing is memory compression.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/introducing-rtx-30-series-graphics-cards/

There has been some work lately regarding deep learning for loseless image compression:
    https://bair.berkeley.edu/blog/2019/09/19/bit-swap/

If they are using Tensor cores to compress/decompress textures the 10GB might not be an issue at all.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nvidia already said in the Reddit AMA that in their testing 10GB was more than enough in their testing of a lot of games at 4K resolutions with Max settings.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ilhao8/nvidia_rtx_30series_you_asked_we_answered/

And testing a lot of those games on my RTX 2080Ti at 4K I saw significantly higher Vram usage anywhere from of 8-10.5GB on most of those games. It really sounds like there is some texture compression going on that they really haven't talked all that much about.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Reminds me of windows Vista which used up all the system ram no matter how much you had installed. Ppl were suddenly buying more ram out of fear their systems would grind to a halt. They didnt know that vistas memory management was based on the principle that unused ram is wasted ram. MS heard all the complaints then altered the memory management and released windows 7 which was much more conservative in ram usage. I believe something similar happening with certain games which dynamically allocate as much vram as your GPU has (ie, Doom Eternal), but runs perfectly fine on cards with much less vram, even at 4k.

Noisiv likes this.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I doubt it - it's just nvidia trying to downplay (or as in this case outright lying about it) the importance of vram, and lack there of on the 3080... which they know is a tough sell for them...

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Jeez, the lemmings all playing the same song like a broken record - this is true for some games, but far from all... alot of games will start stuttering if the vram usage goes close to full... shadow of the tomb raider is one such game, but there are alot of them...

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No such problem for me on SOTR. Do not substitute user experience for universal experience. And yes, Mr. Lemming, the lemmings are all playing the same song like a broken record. :rolleyes:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag...graphics_performance_benchmark_review,10.html

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    And you are playing at 4k with maxed out settings? No? Well then your input is kinda irrelevant.

From the review you linked : "If you want to play Ultra quality with Ultra HD as preferred monitor resolution, 8GB+ is advised."

Undying likes this.
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    "Graphics cards at the 4GB marker combined with the best quality settings will be sufficient, but the game eats it all. For Ultra HD and the best image quality settings, you will like the fact that your graphics card would have at least 8GB of memory. At both 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 we close in at 6GB~7GB used. Fact remains that with a 4GB card you will not experience any problems as the game simply tries to fill up memory wherever it can and is needed. Up to Full HD (1920x1080) any 4 GB graphics card of decent caliber will do the job well. I would like to see 6 GB for 2560x1440. If you want to play Ultra quality with Ultra HD as preferred monitor resolution, 8GB+ is advised. Again this is based on the best image quality settings."

I dont doubt you may be having issues or stuttering in the game, only doubt your certainty that its the vram. HH was not able to register more than 7.8gb on a 2080ti max vram usage. I'll take his word over yours. And again, user is not universal, unless you can show otherwise. Its always funny when a myriad of variables can induce stuttering in a game, but theres always some 'lemming' out there ready to pounce on the vram is the definitive cause.:rolleyes: