I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SerotoNiN, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    As you say, the games start stuttering when you are short on vram... as is the case with 8gb gpus in shadow of the tomb raider at 4k with full ultra settings.

I very much doubt that nvidia will allow 20gb versions of the 3080, as it would eat into their 3090 sales. I think there will be a 3080 ti with 12gb vram in 1 years time.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I WISH. I repeat, I WISH that I had a graphics card like that bozo.
    I wish that from now to eternity, all my graphics cards when running out of VRAM exhibit a single 50ms high, time-regular 15 sec. stutter.

That's strange because although AB shows ~7.7 GB of VRAM, W:Ybloods internal measurement shows less(!) than 6GB actually being USED. At 1800p resolution! Everything maxed, RTX ON, DLSS quality.
    [​IMG]

PS
    I feel bad for anyone without RTX 2000 series card. Every other AA looks like smeared 1024x768 compared to DLSS. No AA aka "native res" is similar to DLSS in sharpness department, EXCEPT it's pixel crawling and shimmering af, even while standing still.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=55875f27-f02f-11ea-bf88-a15b6c7adf9a

nizzen likes this.
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Still a lot of people in here not understanding how games use VRAM.

EDIT here's an idea, take a look at RTX Titan (24 GB) vs a 2080 Ti (11 GB) with a slight overclock (to make up for the difference in cuda cores). They are usually tied, with the 2080 Ti sometimes winning.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  4. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Rumors of a 3070ti with 16Gb coming, so I guess there will be a 3080ti with at least 16Gb if not more

5. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    I guess people will cry over the high prices for the models with more vram ;)

People will never be satisfied when they first start to complain about something. Poeple that "complain" over lack of Vram, tend not to be the buyers anyway ;)

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No, that was a DX12 bug in the game. DX11 had no such issue with ROTR on the 2080, a game I am very familiar with on my 2080.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    True, but many goal-post movers use this first to make their point and usually say that later. Then you have tech sites like HU/techspot who only use this as criteria while completely ignoring the percentiles aspect. I didnt read the whole thread so assume this was discussed and you picked up from that. So wheres the percentile benches that prove the 8gb insufficient vram argument?

Cyberdyne likes this.
  10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'll be impressed if you can prove a single game stutters from, specifically, only having 8 GB of VRAM.

alanm and itpro like this.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Shadow of War says hi. It will even crash to the desktop if you try to run it in 4k.

It also depends on resolution. If the engine is nice, you don't even get stutter, just worse texture streaming. Most newer games won't complain, they will just load worse asset and life will go on.

The new consoles will set this limit to a minimum of 12GB, I would guess.

itpro likes this.
  12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I can make Skyrim from 2011 stutter as well if I load it with stupid high res uncompressed textures.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    That wouldn't be a fault of vram but also other things' altogether. That's one of the worst modded games to test.

Cyberdyne likes this.
  14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Adored tried to make a case using the 2080 vs R VII in ROTR and said it was a stutter fest with the 2080 @4k. He tried to pin it against the 8gb vram of the 2080, but then used a vega 64 8gb which ran smoothly at 4k at even higher fps (!). A a devious skunk I thought :D. I wrote to him mentioning its a DX12 bug affecting the RTX 2080 in ROTR which completely disappears when switching to DX11. No reply and no attempt to re-check his work. ROTR is a very easy to run game @ 4k and is smooth throughout on my 2080, albeit on DX11. Not sure if the DX12 bug was fixed or not or if it was a driver or game bug.

Re Skyrim, the game imo had poorly optimized vram handling which apparently did not take into account the massive textures some modders would use.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    itpro likes this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    G3D review had no such issues due to high vram usage. It will allocate all the vram your card has but runs very well nonetheless. No issue reported @ 4k.
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, I was making a point with Skyrim. Most know it's not the fault of the GPU. Yet, since the 3080 announcement, it seems that common knowledge was lost.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Fair enough.

With a GTX 1070 I do crash to desktop after a few minutes of gameplay in 4k30.
    And textures do looks worse compares to 1440p, where there is a bit more VRAM available.

18. Yeah I don't know if you'd done this but I remember when the first Titan came out - Skyrim was big as ever back then. I bought one cause I was like wow this looks nuts I loaded Skyrim up with so many mods and it just nearly capped out my 6 gigs of VRAM on that sucker hehehe I had to turn off that fog mod that added volumetric fog everywhere cause everything plus that was just too much.. :) man I loved playing Skyrim this had to have been like what 2012 2013?

I had a 2K monitor, 27" I recall that much. I honestly don't know what res I played at (I'd assume 2K - I just know I had the same monitor back then cause of how long I'd had that monitor)

19. toyota

toyota Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    then you do not have all other settings maxed especially not texture streaming on uber. AGAIN digital foundry even said the same thing about having to lower texture streaming to ultra with an 8gb card even at 1440p. I have tested this on a 2080 super and 2060 super both of which crap the bed unless I turn down texture streaming from uber to ultra.

20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Personally if i'm able to get a 3080, as long as CP2077 doesn't go above 10gb @1440p i'll be happy, even if i don't keep hold of it too long.
    The other side of the coin is i'd bloody love CP2077 to use masses of vram way more than 10gb as that would indicate a beatuiful game indeed, special even.:p
    So yeah, i'm basically sitting here hoping CDPR don't go all uber textures on us, which is a sad state and all nvidias fault imo.
    *my fault too for basically not being rich, which i'm cool with.:cool:

Deleted member 213629 likes this.