CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Be careful with going down with freesync range. If screen blacks out and looses signal you know you hit the bottom range.

2. Tempest22

Tempest22 Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Hi everyone, I have a GL702ZC laptop with rx 580 4gb. The built in display supports freesync via edp (embedded display port) with a 40-60hz range. The built in display can be easily overclocked to 100hz, however any refresh rate different than 60hz disables freesync (it just cannot be enabled via the drivers). I tried tweaking the freesync ranges via the display port and hdmi cru methods but it I couldn't get the lower or upper ranges to update at all. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    That's because You don't have enough bandwidth.
    Must check what OC can be achieved along with FS, try 75Hz :p

4. Tempest22

Tempest22 Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Thank you for your reply.

The option to enable freesync disappears from the amd drivers when the display refresh rate is above 60hz e.g. you can't enable it for 61hz and above.

I tried extending only the lower range with freesync active at 60hz (I didn't change the upper range) via the dp method but there were no changes. Would I still need more bandwidth to extend the lower freesync range? I could potentially be entering the wrong values in there.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Lower value should be OK.
    All depends also on Quality of LCD ;)

Tempest22 likes this.
  6. Tempest22

Tempest22 Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Thanks, that is good to know. I'd be happy with an extended lower range :).

What is strange is that the default dp range settings are empty but freesync works at 60hz:
    default range.png

I tried with the following values with no success so far (and with 31-39 for the min range):
    updated range.png

The default timings of the panel are the following:
    default 60hz timings.png

I'd like to kindly ask how can I find out what the correct values for the pixel clock and the horizontal rates should be? Apologies If I'm missing something obvious, this is new stuff for me.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    You must check the LCD spec sheet.
    Should be some PDF for it...

Tempest22 likes this.
  8. lapidev

lapidev Guest

GPU:
    gtx1660
    I guess no luck for me; any fps variation causes a blackscreen in Windmill, and choosing a range of less than 50-60hz prevents me from seeing the freesync button. https://laptopdev.com/

9. Tempest22

Tempest22 Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Thank you, I'll try to find one!

I have a suspicion that the freesync edp range is somehow set by the amd oem driver for the gl702zc laptop and is not exposed by cru since the tweaking I did in my previous post did no change anything for me and others here have had either negative or positive results. I think the implementation might be non-standard or custom in other words. What lead me to consider this is that in order to enable freesync to begin with on this laptop the oem driver needs to be installed first. It's disabled if you install any later driver first.

Anyways any help is much appreciated, let's see how it goes!

Update - this seems to be the spec sheet but I'm not able to make much of it :D
    https://www.displaytechnology.co.uk/assets/product_files/LP173WF4-SPF5_Datasheet.pdf

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No it isn't there.
    So use Auto ;)

Tempest22 likes this.

11. Tempest22

Tempest22 Member

GPU:
    rx 580
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  12. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Having a similar issue where simply deleting the 4096x2160 resolutions from the TVs settings disables VRR/Gsync completely in NVCP. TV is a standard 4k60hz model, with VRR support.

Any workaround for this?

edit: Found a half-assed solution I think. Basically when I delete any of the resolution entries from the "HDMI Support" it for some reason disables VRR on my display (TCLR625).

If I simply modify, instead of delete, the 4096x2160 entry in "HDMI Support" data block to a standard 3840x2160 resolution it allows me to keep VRR/Gsync Compatibility while eliminating 4096x2160 resolutions from NVCP and games.

Just to add, I am able to simply delete all of the 4096x2160 resolution entries from the "TV Resolutions" data block without any issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
    Tempest22 likes this.
  13. funtimesx3

funtimesx3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hello,

Firstly I hope I am in the correct section and thanks in advance for your help.

I am having major issues getting all 3 monitors to run at 144Hz using NVIDIA Surround to combine the 3 into 1. I have 3 27 inch "gaming" monitors with G-Sync compatibility, 2 are LG 27GL850, and 1 is a DELL 2721DGF all are connected to a 2080 RTX via DP, All three monitors run 2560x1440 at 144Hz individually when NVIDIA Surround is not used. However, 7680x1440@60Hz is the only available option to select in NVIDIA Surround. 60hz works for the OS and games, however, 144Hz is why I bought the monitors to begin with so I would really like to get that working.

These monitors all have the same panel LG-made panel so I was expecting the setup of NVIDIA Surround for 144Hz gaming to be relatively straightforward (how wrong I was). Quite simply the LG+DELL combination in NVIDIA Surround does not have a selectable option for 144Hz.

I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (497.29). OS is WIn10 (with latest updates). All monitors have the latest available stable firmware.

I have read the guide and tried using cru (version 1.5.1) to edit the settings, however, so far have been completely unable to get 7680x1440@144Hz working. Any changes made in cru only seem to lower the combined resolution displayed and or mess up the spanned display across the monitors.

My feeling on this is that the timing of the DELL which appears to be an exact 143.913Hz rather than 144Hz is conflicting with LG's @ 144Hz somehow, although this is the first time I've had 3 monitors and subsequently used cru.

Note: All three monitors are able to run @165Hz with the option selectable on the DELL monitor settings via the buttons and via overclock on the LG's so 144Hz shouldn't be an issue. I haver not OC'd the monitors though.

If anyone is able to help out with known working/ recommended settings for cru with 27 inch 144Hz monitors using NVIDIA Surround, please let me know..

Also if this is not the best place to ask, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you!!

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  15. vandenk

vandenk Guest

GPU:
    Geforece Gt 650 Ti
    3DTV Play projector (geforce)

For "3DTV Play" it only uses "TV resolution"...
    Whether "Detailed resolutions" or "CAT-861" which always works well in 2D as soon as I switch to 3D it takes "TV resolution"
    [​IMG]
    Is there a way to change them ?!

Last edited: May 1, 2022

16. Kulagin

Kulagin Member

GPU:
    R9 280X
    Where does CRU stores settings? I reinstalled Windows and now I have default resolutions on all monitors. I have saved the registry, ProgramData and Users folder, so I can probably restore it.

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    No idea, but, you can just use the export feature next time.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ Bandwidth starved? Try 8Bit and write Range Limits (It really help).

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    FYI: CRU is up to 1.5.2