GeForce 466.77 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    It's a lot of work, but have you tried a clean Windows install? It would at least confirm a driver vs Windows issue. Re: Previous post I don't use DDU only the Nvidia clean install option, and my 1080Tis are also MSI -- Gaming X Twin Frozr (sigh stupid marketing) -- they are the triple-fan air-cooled. The pauses are really weird and sounds like Windows is trying to resolve something. But the fact previous driver versions are fine indicates either driver or Windows issue. I use Chrome, Firefox, Discord, Steam and a range of games in SLI and don't get any pauses. If it means anything, I do a trimmed driver install and only install the GPU and HDMI driver, nothing else.

2. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    So many new drivers.
    Most drivers lately work fine for me.
    I tried MPO fix on some games thou but difficult to see difference on my 3090.

No OC on GPU except factory one, no OC on CPU except RAM at 3733 CL16 and IF at 1867 + custom timings.
    RAM and custom timings worked fine with a 3800X on a Asus X570 MB and with a 3900X on a MSI X570 MB so
    I did not bother change them when I changed to 5900X on the MSI MB.

No RGB software, overclocking software or fan control software.

Re-Bar on - HAGS off - Game Mode off - Xbox Game Bar off
    GFE installed and GFE overlay on (sometimes turn on monitoring Alt+R on new games to see that everything is ok)
    Update GPU WHQL driver with GFE or normal if HotFix
    (DDU only if something seems odd)

Apps running in background Logitech G Hub, Samsung Magician, Norton Security
    and some Adobe Creative Cloud background services (even thou I disabled autostart:rolleyes:).
    Also used for while Process Lasso (logging disabled) and recently Park Control (DC parking off)

Monitor is Asus XG438Q (Freesync 2 120Hz)
    < Settings NVCP >
    G-sync: On
    Res settings: 3840x2160 120Hz 32bit 8bpc RGB Full range
    Global 3D settings: V-sync on
    Program 3D settings: most games AF 16x and Max Frame Rate 116

Also use ReShade frequently when possible :)

Not sure it matter I use Nvidia HD Audio to a Samsung Soundbar (HDMI) with Dolby Atmos enabled mostly
    or Nvidia HD Audio to monitor (DisplayLink) sometimes.
    Sound card on motherboard is disabled in bios.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Hey good morning guys did anyone try these on Windows 11? Any preliminary testing on general/gaming performance on it? Looks kinda cool might install it later today. I would guess to use these or maybe the 470 drivers idk?

4. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    It wasn't the case before wasn't it?For example with driver 457.51 its not an issue even on optimal power.
    For now il stick to using 10bit since it seems to help+ there is no downside to using it.
    Maybe in future drivers they adjust whatever they did with the power option.

Bdw did anyone else explain why there's better latency with 10bit then 8bit?

5. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Tried doing global performance to maximum with 8 bit but I got this 7 mins in while playing. [​IMG]

Same test but with 10bit+ global maximum performance
    [​IMG]

Yea I dunno.8 bit is doing something that 10bit is not.I'm stumped.

Also how do you do your latency test?Just opening browsers?

6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Yea I restarted pc.
    Frequency should never drop below 1785mhz with max performance globally selected.
    Yea I thought I was safe with just max performance because I was 5 mins in with twitch in the background and it was fine.Decided to start WOW and 7 mins into playing I got it.

Tried going to 8bit/max perf and launched wow 3 times. Spiked again to 1.1k on one of the tries.
    10bit/max perf I get nothing.(max 350'ish)

Do you know if you go back some drivers if the issue comes back or you're not bothering to try?

7. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    have not yet.
    If I remember correctly a 3080 is already in msi mode by default so that would leave audio left.

There's no downside to 10bit right?Might just stay on 10bit/max performance tbh.Can't be arsed to ddu clean a gpu driver atm.
    [​IMG]
    Playing/twitch and all sorts of stuff in the background.It works with max perf/10bit.

8. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Its slowly becoming a moot point, as im doing a complete system upgrade as soon as i can procure a 3090/3090ti/3080ti.. If i have to live on the 457's so be it, they run perfectly fine, reinstalled them last night, zero issues. Manuel tweeted me asking about it, i replied. Something with the 460 branch is just borked with my configuration.. It could be a million things, motherboard, chipset, memory, blah.. the only thing i will say its not is windows itself because previous drivers are fine, every single one past 460 has had this pausing issue.. Its windows explorer that gets locked, games lock, browsers lock.. its random, but when it does it , it does it hardcore. Also only with SLI Enabled.

If i can somehow magically procure a new card, im all set with a massive upgrade (read #OblivionPC on twitter).. and should set me right. I more put this out there for those who may be running in the same thing. Thanks for the words tho, always appreciated.
    Also yes, i do slim driver, regular install, i have tried it all.. to no avail.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    sometimes when starting the netflix app. the driver resets when it starts playing previews of shows.

10. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    We do not use MPO in 10-bit color mode which is why it is not showing this issue. If you do not want or can't use 10-bit color, you can use the registry key from the FAQ below to disable MPO:
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/

Lily GFX, Cave Waverider and Granacks like this.

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    That explains a lot. Would it be possible to add an MPO toggle to the Nvidia Control Panel? On the driver level, I mean. 10 bit where you have MPO disabled by default still performs better than 8 bit with MPO disabled via registry for some reason.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    SerjRozov likes this.
  12. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Yea this.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The DPC issue with MPO's is likely not a driver issue, but an application issue that needs to be progressively weeded out of the applications being used,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...d3dkmddi-dxgkddi_postmultiplaneoverlaypresent

14. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I mean if you go back enough drivers it doesn't happen.(cough* 457.51) What else could it be if it doesn't happen in a much older driver?Something is getting introduced in the newest driver is what I mean.

Just my observation.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the old drivers don't have mpo

16. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I don't really know about DPC Latency spikes since I don't check that, but I do have noticeable stuttering in games that don't support full screen exclusive/don't have full screen optimizations disabled when I use 8 bit without MPO disabled (although there is a little stuttering here and there with it as well). If I set it to 10 bit in the Nvidia Control Panel, all the game stutter is gone. Now this may be related or not, but there's definitely a problem somewhere, and it seems to me that disabling MPOs on a driver level (like Nvidia did for 10 bit color) works best (since older drivers without MPO don't exhibit that problem), so it would be nice to have an option to toggle it on/off on a driver level in the Control panel at least. So even if it isn't a driver issue, it may be a good idea to add this workaround to the driver/control panel until the feature runs smoothly (Nvidia was able to disable MPO from a driver level for 10 bit color, so I'd assume a driver level toggle should be possible, even for 8 bit and maybe work better than the registry entry does).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  17. RKKA

RKKA Guest

GPU:
    Aorus RTX3080 EXTR
    I wonder, do the recent drivers limit the power supply somehow?

I have an Aorus RTX 3080 Extreme, with older driver (465.89 as I remember), and the F2 vBIOS my card was taking 430W (up to 450W enabled in vBIOS).. was still very cool with ~65°C and i had no problems running 2100MHz very stable.

now, I messed ob with the configuration and have updated the vBIOS to F6, using the latest driver 466.77 and overclocking gets very unstable, as I get crashes, when using the Flight Simulator. In 3D Mark tho no issues, fine results.

switched from Aorus Engine to MSI Afterburner, since the afterburner says if the curve is unstable.

My card doesn’t take more than 370-380Watts anymore..I guess this is the reason for the instability. I wonder what’s the reason.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Some new games next week...new driver incoming? :D

19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Gigabutt problem I guess. I needed to change thermal paste and thermal pads on 3080 xtreme to get it to no overheat the memory. Worst I ever seen. 3090 strix was way better with stock thermal pads and thermal paste

20. RKKA

RKKA Guest

GPU:
    Aorus RTX3080 EXTR
    I don’t have any thermal issues, on a standard day I usually have approx 65°C with 420-430 watts.

I had a deeper look now I the curves in MSI afterburner, as soon as 380W are hit, power limit bit sets to 1. So it seems there’s power limit indeed at 380W.

But the Aorus BIOS version F3 says power limit lifted to 450W.