GeForce 461.40 WHQL drivers: download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Alberto_It, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    This driver works fine but i do noticed i have sometimes sound popping while watching video,s on edge, dont have these sound popping in gaming very strange.

SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  2. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Thanks for the links buddy ;) I'll be sure to read up on this info. I've recently embraced freesync for the first time (opportunity rather than choice) and it's been a revelation I can tell you :eek: but man it's a mash of conflicting info with regard to the correct settings :confused:

3. Robert84MK

Robert84MK Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti StrixOC
    G-Sync and G-Sync Compatible/FreeSync require V-Sync (V-Sync or FastSync) Enabled to works correct.

4. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    You're absolutely right, I relaunched the game with Gsync completely disabled, the mouse cursor moves fine again, cheers.

Just a random question if you don't mind, Is it normal for games running in dx12 to ignore the Gsync fullscreen/windowed setting in Nvcp? After setting Gsync to fullscreen only, when I change a dx12 game to a window, Gsync is still active (it should be disabled). I have so far reproduced this using driver 461.51 and 461.40 (using DDU).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Try to toggle Right click on Desktop->Display Settings->Graphics Settings->Variable refresh rate and see if that changes anything.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    fluidz likes this.
  6. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    @Robert84MK

V-Sync is a requirement without a doubt. Fast Sync not so much due to the way it achieves sync. V-Synce prevents the GPU from rendering frames above the monitors refresh rate. Fast Sync allows the GPU to render frames at its maximum capacity but then prior to sending it looks at the monitors reported EDID refresh rate and trims the rendered/prepared frames down to match the reported refresh, disgarding what is not needed. I believe it's this change of behaviour between the two that dictates which is to be used with G-Sync/FreeSync systems.

@Martigen

Again, thanks for those links dude. Now re-educated myself with regard to why FRTC is used along with V-Sync.

I think the misunderstanding with regard to V-Sync + FRTC arises because when they are both recommended together, it is never explained why this is done, as on the surface the Function of V-Sync should negate the need for FRTC. What is not explained is the fact that V-Sync does not provide a definitive guarantee that frames will not exceed refresh rate. This is due to issues created by variance in frametimes that prevents the native system making accurate judgements that can result in the frames exceeding refresh rate on occasion. to pre-empt this behaviour FRTC is engaged as a second line of defense against frames exceeding refresh rate should the system drop the ball so to speak.

Very enlightening...

7. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Hi, they removed that setting a few drivers back.

[​IMG]

Cave Waverider likes this.
  8. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Odd. It's still here for me in any drivers up to 461.51 (Standard) on my RTX 3090 desktop and on my GTX 1080 laptop. I use DDU before every display driver install, by the way, so it isn't an old setting that's carrying over. I'm on the latest release build of Windows 10, though, are you using an insider build or something?

fluidz likes this.
  9. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Standard version, Windows 10 pro, 20h2. Clean installed a couple of days ago.

[​IMG]

I just ran DDU in safe mode and this time let Windows install its own driver, 456.71 dch. This driver does not have the same issue as 461.40 and 461.51, Gsync fullscreen is back to working normally.

10. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Same version and build here, also did a clean install last week or so on my main PC, the laptop is just upgraded to the same version. It's really curious that the windows option is missing for you and not for me.
    I just checked and for me with the 461.51 drivers, if I set G-Sync to full screen only, G-Sync Compatible/G-Sync laptop in DX12 turns off properly when in windowed mode, just like it behaves fore you on the 456.71. Maybe the issue is only there for 2xxx cards but not 3xxx and 1xxx?

By the way, changing the aforementioned Windows VRR option doesn't change things either, everything is working fine here. It's still curious that the option is missing for you, which might indicate something not being detected properly between your video card, Monitor, drivers and Windows.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    fluidz likes this.

11. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Mind boggling hey :confused:. I just reinstalled 461.51 (standard) on top of 456.71 dch (choosing clean install), not ddu this time, issue is back again. I'm going to test some older drivers, working backwards from 461.40 and find out at what revision this issue starts.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    can you check if these pops coincide with a dpc spike?

DirectX 12 doesn't have a context that makes it behave like full screen exclusive, the behavior is always the same as if you were applying FSO to a FSE title, its all it knows so FSO and D3D12's native DXGI context (Which is DirectFlip based) are controlled by the Full screen gsync controls rather than the windowed version.

For the most part, you're just making life more painful for yourself by using Windowed modes on 10, the FSO behavior is pretty well implemented now and I don't think anyone can even prove that a crash or performance issue applies these days where it doesn't actually stem from things like double buffered vsync enforcement.

13. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I tested drivers 456.71, 457.51, 460.89, 460.97 - they do not have this problem. Drivers 461.09, 461.33, 461.40 and 461.51 do. Something changed after 460.97 that led to this happening and as far as I can see it isn't mentioned in the changelog. Its not that I play in windowed mode, I mostly play in fullscreen mode, but the reason I brought this issue up is since 461.09 dx12 is not respecting and adhering to the Gsync fullscreen/windowed setting in the Nvidia control panel. Is this not seen as being a bug? o_O

Driver 460.97 (last nvidia driver without this issue)

Driver 461.09 (dx12 ignoring Gsync mode issue)

Complete list of drivers tested, 456.71, 457.51, 460.89, 460.97, 461.09, 461.33, 461.40 and 461.51

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTgrTWERDYktWyXlMypSv2w499FdTGIoa

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Aragorn and SatsuiNoHado like this.
  14. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Weird things with this driver 461.40 whql, mouse moving on it's own, gamepad disconnect disconnect, windows start flickering, wtf :confused::mad:

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all things that the display driver cannot do

16. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Maybe, but when i installed 461.51 all ok now, so how come, and some people also complains about mouse shacking not just me :);)

17. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    dont wanna create a new topic so does anybody know what is this "DXGIAdapterCache.exe" and there is a task created in task scheduler under DirectX ? i got famous crashes back with this driver in every RE titles using RE Engine HRESULT=0x887a0006 swapChain.Present()failed (%x) with/wo using ReShade .. and yes already reported to nvidiafeedback with crashdump file.. thnx

18. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Anyone actually getting a smooth experience with their 3080?Pretty much every game I play has some form of random micro stutter(Ranging from once in a while to kinda frequently'ish) I play apex/black desert online/Wow and Rust.Yea it also doesn't help bdo/apex aren't exactly the most optimised but still and its mostly very random.I tried multiple ddu clean drivers/clean install of w10 with no success.

My old 1080ti had more stable frametimes then this and I'm kinda regretting even getting this thing at this point.
    Also looking up the Nvidia forums there's ppl with similar unexplained micro stutters.

Rig:3080/9900k/970 evo/16gb 3200mhz/rog maximus XI hero/rmx 750W PSU w/1080p 144hz g-sync monitor (w10 20h2) Currently using driver 457.51
    Bios:disabled speedstep/speedshift and c-states.

Tried latencymon with twitch up as the main thing taking monitor space.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Technically getting no warning but still seems kinda high.The highest dpc routine was actually lower before I clean installed w10 (same driver)

UPDATE:Ok if twitch is in the background it seems like the result is much lower.I can have music on youtube and the same twitch stream (in the background).I wonder if it's all the emotes/chat causing the higher then normal result.(especially a streamers with alot of viewers)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  19. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    Not related ^ But here's my system(s) set up

GPU : Nvidia 980 GTX
    Motherboard : z68xp ud3p ( Latest Bios )
    CPU : I7 2600K
    Sound : Asus Xonar ( Latest Low Latency Drivers ) : Nvidia HD Audio Disabled
    OS : Windows 10 ( All updated ) : High Performance Mode in Power Options
    Drivers Issue : 461.06, 461.33, 461.40, 461.51 - High Latency : Sound Popping/Cracking
    Drivers working fine : 432.00,457.51. 460.79.

GPU : Nvidia 2070 RTX Super
    Motherboard : MSI Gaming 5 ( Latest Bios )
    CPU : I7 4790K
    Sound : Asus Xonar ( Latest Low Latency Drivers ) : Nvidia HD Audio Disabled
    OS : Windows 10 ( All updated ) : High Performance Mode in Power Options
    Drivers Issue : 461.06, 461.33, 461.40, 461.51 - High Latency : Sound Popping/Cracking
    Drivers working fine : 432.00,457.51. 460.79.

Try it yourself, load up Warzone for example with LatencyMon enabled, and compare the latency from the 461.xs to any driver from 432 - 460 :)

SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  20. Guru3Dmember

Guru3Dmember Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT
    Why did they remove functionality with DisableWriteCombining?