Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I've reached the "I need a break" point..

Main quests all completed.. 88% completion, 64hrs in.. I'm burned out.. The ending was probably one of the most anticlimactic endings to an AC Creed though... It just sorta ended with a fizzle and off to grind again..

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Tbh i haven't really found the story very good in any of the assassins creed games, but the gameplay, setting and atmosphere is very enjoyable, so it's fine for me.

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I agree with the latter, hence I still paid for the ultimate edition because I knew I was going to get my mileage out of the game. Origins and Odyssey were extremely well supported WELL beyond the launch.. I know people love to bash Ubisoft but the hell if they didn't learn how to continue to make both games shelf life extend well beyond expectations. So I knew Valhalla would be too.

That being said I though the story arc, and ending to both Origins and Odyssey both had a satisfying conclusion. Maybe Valhalla will in DLC in the future but it literally just felt like any other quest ending before returning you to grind out the rest of the stuff left..

4. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    The Origins story was widely beloved by critics and fans for many reasons, it definitely drew me in more than usual because I'm a father of a young boy just like the protagonist Bayek.
    I replay Origins once every 6 months and always find something I missed before, I recommend you give it another go yourself.

And if you pay close attention to the nuances you'll find the relationship between Bayek and his Wife is really an amazing piece of writing, the writers and actors did an excellent job, it completely captured the complex nature of a husband and wife mourning the loss of their son on their own terms along with the complexities that come with a tragedy of such proportions.
    There was no "cookie cutter" story arc there, to me it's probably the finest piece of writing I've ever seen in a game, I've never had any other game suck me into it's world like that one did.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I just finished origins a couple of weeks ago, and i disagree.

The relationship between bayek and his wife, it just made no sense... out of the blue she just leaves him, and he is just like "ok". Having recently been left by the love of my life myself, i can't see ANYONE reacting like that. If they do, then they don't really love that person, otherwise they would get devastated...

And let's say that was decent writing, that's just a very minor plot, which the witcher does much better, and so much more. Witcher 3 is just worlds beyond the story in origins in every single way.

Origins is fun, don't get me wrong, but that story line was just... meh... as in all other AC games.

Passus likes this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I've been playing Unity and to be honest I'm not even sure what the story is, just go here, kill this person, go there, kill that person, then a climbing puzzle... then more killing.

maybe I'm just oblivious......

It's kind of sad when you think about it..... I mean it's something you paid full price for, you would expect the content in it would be available in it after having already paid for it.

Different title but still Ubisoft, good example of the crap they are pulling with these stylized interactive shops... I mean "video games".

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  7. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero

Actually if you look at statistics a lot of couples separate after losing their only child, it's a fairly common occurrence, I think that's why they went with the realistic angle on that story arc.
    And it may seem it's a minor plot, but Bayek and his wife actually spend pretty much the whole game seeking revenge for their son, only toward the later missions does Bayek realize they may be deviating from that path, around the Cleopatra story line when Bayek realizes they're being used as assassin pawns. But at that point Bayek's wife doesn't even care,she just wants endless blood on her hands and convinces Bayek to follow her.

And Witcher 3 has it's moments definitely, the Baron storyline gets a lot of attention, but there's way too much filler in that game making it hard to focus on anything specific.
    I am however waiting for the next gen Ray Tracing update before I replay it again, as I've only finished it once.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yup.

I mean it's nonsensical:
    Hey kids, here's a compelling game with open world and RPG progression systems but the best part is you can skip all of it! For a price.

Besides video games have had a free solution for skipping progression since forever, called cheats.
    If you want to enable the player to skip something then allow a corresponding cheat (in SP games, obviously).

Yes, I know, the cheat wouldn't net in any money. Radical concept anno 2020.

Backstabak likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I know that most women withdraw from the man after losing their child, the issue i have with it is how it just comes out of the blue in the game, and how bayek is just "ok" about it. Cause up till the splitting point, the game makes a big effort in showing that his wife is the love of his life, and the most important thing to him... and if that was the case, then he wouldnt just be "ok" about his love leaving him.

Passus likes this.
  10. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    If anyone is annoyed by the day/night cycle changing too fast and you want more daytime, or more night then you can just meditate with the G key (default.) And after about 15 seconds of a meditation panning cutscene it goes from night to day, or the other way around. It's not a longer daytime but you get more daytime by skipping the night. Sorry if this is already basic knowledge here.

Dragam1337 and DocStr4ngelove like this.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Night time has some of the best atmosphere in the game so why skip it i'll never understand

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    That day / night cycle is indeed way too fast ! Imo the game spend at least twice as much time in daylight.

13. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    They introduced savegame 'hacking' via some ingame menu later in Origins / Odyssey(?), so altering day/night cycles might become a feature in the near future.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well being in Scandinavia in december, it's dark 24/7 irl, so it's quite depressing when the games you are playing are aswell xD

This is taken at 9.30 AM in denmark, and it's basically as bright as it gets in denmark during december... so being in sunny games is a nice get away from the depressing darkness IRL.

[​IMG]

cerebus23, Xtreme512 and Passus like this.
  15. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Looks like Germany atm. Welcome to the 'Vitamin D Suckers Club'. :D

Dragam1337 likes this.

16. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Same here in erm ... West Mercia lol

btw i'll message you later on :)

Dragam1337 likes this.
  17. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    That would require regulation. Anytime you ask for that, it invites a slippery slope. What you probably want is an organization closer to PEGI and the ESRB that can regulate online play. (I am aware they currently don't and that they currently only "rate" the content)

Passus likes this.
  18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's worse the further north you get though - but you are on the northcoast of germany i see, so it's nearly the same.

If you look at southern germany like munich, it has more than twice as much sunlight during the darkest winter days compared to copenhagen (1 vs 0,4)

https://weatherspark.com/y/70344/Average-Weather-in-Munich-Germany-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/74001/Average-Weather-in-Copenhagen-Denmark-Year-Round

Ofc could be even worse, could be like nothern norway, where they have 0,0 during the darkest days... aka no light... i'd slit my wrist... lol

https://weatherspark.com/y/84211/Average-Weather-in-Tromsø-Norway-Year-Round

Or it could be alot facking better, and be like southern spain, where they have 2,5 during the darkest days... im SO close to ignoring corona rules and going there right now... lol

https://weatherspark.com/y/35192/Average-Weather-in-Málaga-Spain-Year-Round

Passus and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  19. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    We should organize a Guru3D group holidays after the Virus pandemic is over.

Passus likes this.
  20. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    About the meditation and to past time:

It comes in handy if you need or want to use your raven to spot thing, etc. Especially when it’s foggy like often in the swamps area.

Or do some of the „mystic riddles“? where you need to shot down that thing so it clears up. They are always foggy and can be at night somehow difficult to spot how to reach them and be able to shoot them.

JonasBeckman likes this.