Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Motion Blur is disabled, as it should be in every game! I can try with TAA on medium just to see if it behaves any better. There doesn't seem to be any control over DoF in the settings? Will any of the settings affect DoF?

You do agree that my game is blurred, it's not just me going crazy? I have a hard time understanding how people are able to post screenshots and stream the game and not have the same amount of blur... Disabling TAA makes it go away, but then you have shimmering and aliasing like crazy so it's no real option. Still people are posting screenshots and having streams where they have less blur and no shimmering, how is that possible..

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Looks fine to me.

The image looks good when viewed full resolution on my work screen. Doesn't look blurry at all to me except in the distance which is just the depth of field.

Why do people want everything to look ultra-sharp anyway? It just makes games look unnatural IMO.

doktor1 likes this.
  3. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I'm picky, but that's why I pay top dollar for top hardware and expect great results.

My problem is the amount of DoF the game is applying when enabling TAA. I'm okay with the slight blur you get on Arthur etc.. You need to sacrifice some sharpness in order to avoid aliasing and shimmering. That' the way it is. Otherwise you need to render at crazy resolutions but that is just not feasible if you want decent performance.

TAA is doing it's job and it's working okay, but you get way too aggressive and excessive DoF effect when you have it enabled. Things just a few meteres away from you gets blurred and out of focus because of this effect and it's just not any good if you ask me. Having objects look blurred when they are just 5 meters away from you only to look crazy sharp 2 seconds later when the objects is only 1 meter away from you is just too big of a difference. The difference is just way too stark.

And this behaviour is much better on the Xbox One X. Why is that? On the Xbox One X it seems like the DoF is affecting things that are at least 50 meters away from you. On the PC version with TAA on it seems to affect things that are 3-5 meters away from you. I suppose it's bugged, and why is there no settings to change the DoF?

It's not this excessive do to performance. Disabling TAA and you no longer have this crazy amount of DoF kicking in even on objects that are almost next to you and the performance does not tank as a result of the DoF not adding the blur.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  4. Forceflow

Forceflow Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Going to c/p a post I made on another forum, but it summarizes my experiences well:

Some remarks about the settings panel:
    • GamerNexus said in his video that the main settings slider (the one that let's you move between presets) is system-dependent. So your "slap-dash-in-the-middle-balanced" might differ from someone else's. I see a lot of people posting "I started from preset X, then put all the remaining things to Y". This might not be the same result. TBH, you should pastebin your whole config.xml to be entirely sure.
    • Changing settings in the main settings area changes settings in the "locked" area. I get the impression that for example "particles" is a preset in itself for different configurations of the advanced particle settings. Have not been able to test whether or not there is an additional effect, but they are most certainly not independent.
    Then, my findings. System: i7 6700K with slight OC, GTX 1070 TI, 16 GB RAM, Win10, RGS version of the game, latest drivers of all, of course.
    • I was spared from any launch-crashing bugs. I wish I could help the people who struggle with that. I've got no antivirus except the default Windows Defender, and my BIOS updates on my - not so recent: 2.5 yrs - motherboard are up-to date. I did not have to run the launcher or the game with admin permissions.
    • My suggested defauls (preset slider in the middle) are a weird combo of medium/high, with textures and shadows on ultra, but Anisotropic Filtering only on 4x. With this preset, I get about 64 fps average in the benchmark.
    • Haven't run through the game much, but the first snowy section (both in the benchmark and in the actual game start) is definitely more taxing than the rest.
    • Switching between Vulkan and DX12 doesn't change much for me.
    • I can only run the benchmark once, after that every new attempt loads and then just goes straight back to menu
    • To have my G-Sync monitor mod engage, I had to put in-game vsync to ON. This might be Vulkan-related, I don't know.
    • Fullscreen / Borderless didn't make much of a difference for me. Note that alt-tab and tabbing back in puts the game to borderless automatically
    I've got a new GPU (2070 super) arriving today, so I'm gonna hold off on benchmarking some more until I've got that in.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Ah, forgot to upgrade sorry for mistake. I have 5700xt, anyway it seems to work OK, but it is quite blurry now. I'll need to play a bit with TAA and sharpening to get something sensible.

Mostly got everything to ultra and some settings on high at 1080p have about 80 fps on average, although I didn't get out of the snowy regions yet.

6. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Ultra @2560x1080 + Radeon Image Sharpening

[​IMG]

7. ^ Yep, as I said a few times already I'm not a fan of sharpening filters, but the RIS is actually pretty good. Devs should implement that directly to games to avoid unwanted sharpening on some elements(like UI) though.

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's interesting as I saw a post on the GeForce.com forum from someone with the same ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q monitor as me saying that G-SYNC wasn't working for them.

However, I thought it was working as the game still felt smooth even at 35-45 fps and not jerky like sub-60 fps tend to feel otherwise.

I have the in-game V-Sync setting off plus Triple Buffering is off too as it isn't needed for G-SYNC. V-Sync is On in the NVIDIA Global profile.

I will check later by enabling the G-SYNC indicator in the NVIDIA control panel.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Beta testing = PC gaming, where have you been?

serbicu, cerebus23 and angelgraves13 like this.

11. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I just experienced the most annoying bug.. All the markers on the map floated out or inwards when you zoomed in or out and never in the correct locations..

12. I took some PS4Pro screens from latest version 1.14 so you can compare to PC, but I'd say the difference is pretty obvious.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Serotonin likes this.
  13. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    I'm gaming 4k with resolution scaling 0.800 something, textures high (weird limit in game, it will not allow me to apply settings if i overcommit the vRAM) and mostly high settings with some medium for shadows. Vulkan is most stable, DX12 texture popping is allover the place.
    Lowest i've seen was 32fps, but most of the time is 38-42fps which is perfect considering my rig.
    For me HDR is missing from settings. Vulkan or DX12, no HDR.
    Other then that i have to disable Avast so it wont crash at startup which is retarded tbh.
    Game looks beautiful, around 20% better compared to the PS4pro version for me running at my current settings.
    Running latest driver, i've spent 8 hours today in game, no crash or other weird issues.
    [​IMG]

14. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I agree here.. Vulkan is the most stable, DX12 had a lot of weird artifacts and texture glitching. I was indoors and the light through the glass windows was glitching and flickering on DX12, on Vulkvan everything was normal.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Is any Nvidia user interested in taking a go with Vulkan using the latest developer driver? It was released two days ago and says there's some various minor performance improvements and improved behavior when low on memory
    https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

16. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Seems like there were more people using AMD having problems and that updating AGESA has fixed it.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Didn't you spend the last week dogging this game out? You bought it and then compared it to a previous copy you also purchased? I laughed out loud for real. Just giving you some crap. All good. I may still buy it myself.

EDIT:
    I hope next gen brings better foliage. Leaves on trees and blades of grass look so flat and unrealistic in so many other wise photo-realistic games.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I've been testing quite a bit now... and i have come to the conclusion that i am not going to play this game till i can play it at native 4k. The resolution scaling is horribly bad in this game - at anything other setting than "off", it becomes a blurry mess.

Native 4k
    [​IMG]

4k with 0.66 render res (aka 1440p)
    [​IMG]

I also tested vulkan, and Vulkan marginally increases fps, but is way more stuttery for me, aswell as more blurry than dx12 somehow.

Vulkan
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Of course it will, in 4K 30fps glory :p

Serotonin likes this.
  20. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Was playing yesterday with MSAA+4 for a couple of hours and had only slight hiccups. So today i though i'd try TAA and put textures quality on ultra and all that.

RDR2 stopped working after 2mins LMAO.

Might try the latest Nvidia drivers i guess. (I'm on Win7 and use DX12 ingame)