The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    I did that little Tesselation trick putting it to 8x, and I finally managed to get the game to run maxed out at V-synced 60fps. Although only on 1080p, had to go down in resolution a bit I haven't tried the 1440p I usually game at. And with Hairworks and AA off.

But I still have 2 major problems, if someone can please tell me how to solve.

Aside from shadow flickering at times which is annoying, bigger problem would be I have really bad texture pop in, and when I say bad I mean on a regular basis there are people appearing out of thin air literally not 10 feet away from me.
    And just as bad is the dreaded crossfire V-sync Microstutter, I've never managed to find a legitimate solution for this issue in any game I've ever played, just deal with it... I only play a handful of games, but it happens to me in all of them, no matter the driver or game version.

I ALWAYS GET CROSSFIRE MICROSTUTTER :bang:

By crossfire stutter I mean that tiny little hitch that happens when you put on V-Sync, in Witcher 3 for example it happens once every 2 seconds. The FPS dips for a millisecond from a perfect 60fps to 59fps, so you get that small hitch that pretty much kills that smooth constant 60fps feel especially because it happens every 2 seconds or so.

2. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well aside from the crossfire issues, the texture/npc popping and shadow flicker is an issue that should be addressed in the upcoming patch maybe tmr. I advice however to refrain from playing the game in the mean time due to the xp bug. At times you don't receive experience points after completing a quest. The 8x tessellation trick while it boosts fps when enabling hairworks, it lowers water tessellation, making it look less wavy. If your monitor always higher than 1080p resolution, i would play with that resolution and disable hairworks. The effect is in no comparison to that of the tressfx from tomb raider, and only noticeable when really turning the camera close to the hair. Anyways, even with my single gpu, i have alot of stutter, and the we just have to wait for the next patch.

3. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    ^ yea I decided to just do my first play through sticking with the main story line, that way the game has some time to get ironed out by both game patches and AMD drivers.

I mean that way whatever I missed my first way through, would leave me with new content I haven't seen or played before.... I can replay it all with all the DLC and all the issues worked out by then.

So whats the deal with crossfire microstutter, I really feel like making a thread for it, it's something I've never been able to solve

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  4. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Odd. Frametimes seem the same for me using RTSS capped @60. I really get very little variance in frametimes to begin with so I guess I'm just lucky?
    I get no perceptible stutter in W3 with the config mentioned. FC4 on the other hand... :)

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I get a weird judder with framelimiters, as if parts of the screen are rendered in a later time. I'm not even sure if it would show in a frametime graph. The camera movement itself is smooth, the presentation of the scenes is not.

6. Kurg

Kurg Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II
    Anyone get random game crashes and exit to the system in win 10 TP Build 10130? or just me?

7. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I haven't tested The Witcher 3 with Windows 10 10130 yet. What drivers are you using?

PS: Could you update your PC Specs? What AMD card do you have?

8. Kurg

Kurg Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II
    Updated!! the drivers are 15.20.1036-150522a and the card an Asus ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II.

The fps are good with high settings, but the game crashes randomly, the card isn't overclocked, it's just to know if is an OS fault or the game.. i haven't any problems with other games

9. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I updated my drivers to 1038, with my setup at high settings with "Pantene" OFF / tessellation x16 / SMAA forced with Radeon Pro. I'm getting arround 45-60FPS.
    I'm having some stuttering when I travel with the horse, any advice ? moving the game to a SSD can help solving this issue ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Still playin with 15.5 + 1038 dlls...no issues for me so far (didn't noticed). FPS seems to be high...im good I guess.

11. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    did the 1038 dlls improve upon the 15.5 update?

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    After a small playthrough, 1023.5 is THE driver for the Witcher for me. I literally got 10 more fps.

13. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @nevernamed,
    Kind of...having lower fps higher in town areas...but i'm sitting on dual core :)

Will try it...

14. razorbackdb

razorbackdb Member

GPU:
    AMD R7 260x 2GB
    Weird radeonpro doesn't work with the game after installing 1023.5, other games work fine.

15. hansguru

hansguru Guest

GPU:
    7870@1.3
    I tried them. Also improvment on my 7870 over 1036 on top of 15.5 drivers.
    Frametime much more stable. But i didnt notice significant fps gain.

16. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Did you just make use of certain DLL files thrown into the Witcher bin folder or was it a driver you installed? Also, I'm probably gonna be labeled as a " moron " for asking, but when you say 1023.5 driver, which one is that exactly?

EDIT: Right, think I just found the answers to my own question by doing very little research actually. Some " investigation " took me to this guru thread: AMD Driver DLLs Repository and Performance Survey from there, I just followed the link and downloaded the folder " DirectX 10.0-11.2 ". Within that I took the mentioned 1023.5 and threw into W3. If it makes a difference, I'm using 14.4 driver. Not 14.5

17. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Well, I tried The Witcher 3 last night using unmodded 1023.5 drivers for Windows 10 (build 10130) and I had no crashes at all. Game version 1.04.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The NPC pop-in is a game engine thing, it has nothing to do with Catalyst. As for the microstutter, have you tried framelocking the game @ 55fps or lower through RadeonPro or RTSS?

I have it on an SSD, and it still hitches a bit when assets are being loaded (which is normal), after a bit of gameplay it is fine, unless I enter a place with very different assets, where it will hitch for a millisecond and then it will be fine. I believe it matters, if you can, install it on an SSD.

Here it does.

Note: I have 1023.5 installed completely, I didn't use the DLL method. With it I have managed to have 40fps locked in the game now, compared to 30fps locked previously.

19. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    1023.5 dll's are the go-to to try then eh?? i'll have to try this in the game folder using the 15.5 beta release!

20. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I can't start the game if the 1023.5 dlls are in the witcher3.exe folder. Is the r9 290 not support or what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: they don't work with windows 7, do they?