Wii U is Sweet!

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Penal Stingray, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Well looks like u dont know nothing about cpu which is pitiful lol. again before u post plz back it up with a valid proof. here is the specs for wii u cpu is based on IBM PowerPC7 it runs at 3 GHZ not 800 mhz lol.

The Wii U CPU uses most of the features from the POWER7 architecture.
    4 CPU Cores and 2 MB shared L3 cache
    3 GHz clock speed
    Multi-threading: 4 threads per core, 16 threads in total
    45 nm process
    Advanced power savings features and design
    256 KB L2 cache per core

Well it used to be 4 cores but it was dropped to 3 cores to save cost and energy but still each cores can still do 4 threads at at time.

I took this off from article

The IBM Power7 architecture is rated at maximum 33 GFLOPS(Giga FLOPS) per core with the full amount of cache available at max clock speed. Per CPU, the maximum performance output is over 260 GFLOPS, albeit this is based on a fully specced out 8 core chip at 4 GHz. Realistically, the Wii U CPU power output could be at around 50 GFLOPS, with 4 cores at 3 GHz. This would make the Wii U CPU over 20 times faster than the old Wii Broadway processor, and twice as fast as the PlayStation 3 Cell processor, and 2.5X as fast as the Xbox 360 chip."

now this is where people get it wrong thinking wii u cpu is slow well it is slower in clock speed. 360 cpu runs at a 3.2 Ghz with that can handle 6 threads 3x2 and wii u cpu runs a 3 GHZ than can handle 12 threads 3x4 but it can do more threads twice the amount of 360 cpu and can output more GFLOPS, and it has more cache. which means its faster.

http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-cpu/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB

:grin:

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah i doubt very much ninty would be so thick as to have a cpu almost the same speed as the Wii.....and considering the WII U is shifting HD images round this time i doubt that speed quoted is anywere near what's going to be in the Wii U.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just not excited about the Wii U at all so it'll be the first time in over 15 years that I haven't bought a new console at launch. Part of that reason is because I thought the Wii was massively underwhelming once the buzz of the Wiimote controller had worn off and I realised that there were very few great games available for it. The multiformat stuff never interested me, doesn't on the Wii U either, as I having a gaming PC for those and with few exclusives it makes justifying a console purchase all the more difficult.

Then there's that controller... Yes, it looks intriguing, I'll admit, but also oversized and unweildy for long play sessions, granted I can't know for sure until I actually try it. I realise there's also an optional Classic controller at extra cost (of course!) but strip away the "tablet" controller and what's left looks barely different from the PS3 or Xbox 360, neither of which I use much these days either, except for the odd exclusive (Forza Horizon and Halo 4 for example).

I have a feeling that the Wii U will not be as successful as the Wii because the controller, with its emphasis on buttons, will not be quite so appealing to casual gamers as the Wiimote was and most hardcore gamers will likely opt to wait for the technically superior hardware of the PS4 and Xbox 720 in a year's time. I know I am. In the meantime, I have a PC that is used for 90% of my gaming anyway. There's just no real reason for my to own a Wii U at this point in time. Logic tells me it is best to wait 18-24 months with Nintendo consoles so see what games are going to be available for it and whether they're worth buying it for. Being an HD Wii just is not enough I'm afraid.

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
  6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Will wait for the new Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy to drop before I make a purchase, should be pretty cheap by then

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im gonna wait untill a 3d mario, zelda, metroid, donkey kong or mario kart comes out for it. dont care for the multiplatform games. (unless the wii u version is superiour with its tochpad and added DLC where in other version you have to pay for). the resolution is 1080p anyways.
    then she will be mine :)
    the exlusive controller looks great , a nice change from the crap we got now wiht current consoles and pc.

for instance in fifa you can change tactics and change players while playing the match. so no more pressing start and waiting for people to finish :banana:

if they can impliment the features of a on the controller things shall be awesome

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    And white 3rd party games will not be upscaled versions like the one on 360 and ps3 console it will be using native 720 or 1080p on wii u also multiplatform games should look better not by much since developer wont prolly focus on just wii u but exclusives like zelda or the upcoming metroid prime, starfox adventures if they make a sequel and i have a feeling they will and more exclusives that will widen the gap since its gonna utilize wii u's hardware. i was gonna get the deluxe version but dam! all retailers are SOLD OUT! wth! this is not fair! ebay has it but then again the price is like 500 dollars forget it people just try to make money. i mean target is out, gamestop is out!, wal-mart is out!, best buy is out!, eb games is out! and malls like toysaurus are sold out and sears they said i better line up well one thing i know by the time i get there theres already people camping outside the mall. looks like im stuck with basic edition :(

if any readers in guru3d or members dont like the wii u deluxe edition and would like to sell contact me ill buy it off u.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I really don't get the hype for the machine. Glad Nintendo is doing well, but I'd personally sooner get a 3DSXL before a Wii U, after buying that ps3 3D display I've become a sucker for all things 3D.

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I suppose we are all different, I think 3D is a waste of time as it currently is and would never buy a ***** Quite interested in the Wii U tho. Guess we are all different

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm just uninterested in Nintendo 1st party. I won't say it's too kiddie, but...it's too cartoony and recycled. Great, Mario hits bricks with his head and saves the princes in HD now. Link saves Zelda from Gannon in HD now. Mario Kart runs through 18 courses in HD now.

Same sh*t better graphics. I think the controller is interesting, I think the graphics have potential to be better than what's currently out there when developed properly, but I just have no interest in playing the same games from 1986 with simply better graphics.

I mean the argument can be made for 3rd party games too, which is why I've been enjoying 3D, it adds something new to the experience. Maybe this controller can do the same. I dunno. I wasn't a fan of wii controls - got to be annoying after 30 minutes.

As you said, everyone is different.

I simply got annoyed at Penal trying to sell everyone on the system as being the best thing since sliced bread.

12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Based on the fact its been suspected for quite a while to be twice the clock speed of the Wii CPU, which was a little over 400 MHz.

Also, its also been confirmed the CPU is NOT Power7 based. This also matches my suspicion of a faster tri-core version of the Wii CPU, and not a major re-design built around a new architecture.

http://hothardware.com/News/IBM-Confirms-WII-U-Utilizes-PowerBased-CPU-Not-Power-7/

The Wii U CPU is slower then what the 360/PS3 already have. Period. No matter how much RAM and GPU power you have, that will put server limitations on what you can do. This will make it much harder to port future gen titles to the Wii U once the next gen starts, leading to the Wii U quickly being abandoned.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So Penal was wrong AGAIN lol. Oh man.

15. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    According to the date of ur article it is dated september 25 thats old news man this is the latest one from october 21

Ima take these of the article review

"The closest similar example is Intel’s Clarkdale CPU, however instead of QPI in the Wii U this is very likely to be HyperTransport based as both AMD and IBM are members of the HyperTransport Consortium. Given the CPU is IBM Power7 based [see Tweet below], it was never designed with a front side bus model in mind though, meaning customizations were applied for Nintendo"

"IBM Watson @IBMWatson 24h @Xbicio @BoostFire The Wii U is a custom 45nm #power7 chip. Same SOI design in #ibmwatson"

"Let’s face it, Nintendo has always been anaemic with its hardware spec. The Wii’s PowerPC core is a direct decendant of the GameCube, making the shift Power7 architecture in the Wii U a massive upgrade in itself"

"It’s unlikely Nintendo would greatly alter the Power7 CPU pipeline due to the cost and extensive qualification time, even though IBM claim it’s ‘customized’. As I stated above I suspect this customization refers specifically to how it connects to the GPU/northbridge."

lets summarize it. the second statement was coming from an ibm insider or someone that works inside the company that either design the cpu or part of team. Wii u is a power7 custom made cpu it is slower than the power7 u find on desktops or servers since it has only 3 cores. but its faster than the 360 and ps3.

article link: http://richardswinburne.net/unwraveling-the-tech-behind-the-nintendo-wiiu/

i stand my ground ;) let me tell you something there are a lot rumors around the net some of them are not true and some them are ;) if u know how to find them. and one more thing when u google most of the results are not even true lol which i think u did. Good luck on ur google man i dont think this article can get any more legit since i did not find this on google on some forums someone send it to me well i ask for it give ill give u a hint its one of my relatives and he happens to work for ibm :)

16. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
  17. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    well i was wrong if i didnt post that link that someone send me that actually works in ibm lol.

18. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    i was expecting more out of that display u recommended even on my backup rig it was too small coming from big monitors to a small one thats no go for me even my sammy 27 inch led looks sharper and clearer on text and has better proccessing engine which results in better image quality. first of all the screen was glary it was like a mirror, second of all is not the best 3d monitor my 50 inch sammy 3d blows it out of the water not even close. if i wanna play 3d again its gonna be on a bigger screen not no lil 24 inch man i was pretty disappointed i sold this 3d monitor to ebay and overpriced it a lil bit. it has nice lil feature called simulview technology i gave him that but overall im not impressed no wonder sony dropped it from 500 dollars to 179.99 on gamestop i think i know why. i learned my lesson not to buy stuff on ebay when it first arrived it had a broken screen smh i had to buy one on gamestop and the selller was nice enough to refund me the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221150721243?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So you've been wrong about everything in this entire thread and decide to attack me about something completely different to make yourself feel better? LMAO. I never told you to buy the 3d monitor, you said it was too small, you said you didnt think it was worthwhile, then 3 hours later you said you ordered one. That was your choice, go game on your 3d 50,000 inch screen then, not sure what you want me to say. I'm happy with mine, don't really care how you feel about it. :flip2:

20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Go tell your "buddy from IBM" that he's just as full of sh*t as you are. You sat here calling people idiots, being smug and cocky and you've been wrong with everything your said. You've had links and proof given to you to rebuttle everything you've said and you still don't shut up. Seriously, go away