Thief 4 First Screenshot

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    and this crap

The vertical slice doesn't load inside Thief's current heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3.

Common dont be U3E, please please.. We all saw what turned out of Aliens Colonial Marines.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Guess we should just ignore all the other games that use the engine...

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For one it wont make any fancy visuals, U3E is old, look at bioshock inifinte - its to cartoony, just like Aliens CM. Unless they use something like by Samartian demo, but i doubt it judging by those screens posted earlier.

Other games based on this are also meh, the only game that looks decent is the new Batman, but you can still see U3E limitations/flaws or poor lighting and whole atmosphere looks bland..

Last edited: May 2, 2013

5. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Well... it's UE3 :p

Old engine but probably cheaper than the alternatives and likely easy to work with, which is why so many devs seem to gravitate towards it.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    U4E is apparently even easier and if Thief4 is suppose to be next-gen then idk, imo there is nothing next-gen by U3E. :)

Good that U3E has trouble with AI scripts, at least this will make them think again and hopefully use a different engine :p

7. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Guest

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    It's time to move on. Waaay past that time.

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I quite like the U3 engine, looks very good and runs awesome.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's a matter of opinion.
    Yes, BioShock: Infinite has a cartoonish look... but that's not an engine design. That's a style decision by the developers.

Mirror's Edge is still one the best looking games out there IMO. And it's because of a solid art direction. UE3 is coming up on the end of it's run...

But, the argument that it shouldn't be used to Thief 4 because of how A:CM turned out is just ignorant.
    It's not the engine. It's what the developers do with the engine.

10. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Guest

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    I think once you guys with decent rigs play a proper game using U4, you will eat those words. You just don't realize what we're missing. Not that I disagree with what you've said.
    I find those with low end rigs to be the largest proponent of graphics stagnation. Probably because they don't want to be left behind.

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    The same could be said about people doubting UE3. It's never been used to it's full potential in a game, and many of it's naysayers would eat their words if they saw it fully utilized. It simply has a bad reputation since it's so widely used in rather unimpressive ports and multiplatform titles.

12. Smartino

Smartino Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Exactly, well put! It's actually a very good and technically impressive engine, but like you said sadly only a few games come close to fully utilizing its' power.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You're the one who's ignorant defending old stuff. And yes its the engine, U3.5E is the max it can handle, if you want to do more you need Samaritan U3.9E thing going on and no one is willing to push the envelope just yet, kinda pathetic.

@F1refly
    Its fast because it doesnt task gpus anymore, its like U2E all over again.. Same thing by visuals.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    What exactly is it not capable of doing that makes some of you guys think it's crap exactly?
    And what games are using those specific features that U3E lacks that you think makes such a dramatic difference.
    Cause so far, I don't see any game that is showing dramatic differences between engines, only art direction. Tech demo's are just that, I'm still waiting to see games today that look half as good as some tech demo's put out several years ago.

15. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Guest

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    I don't think anyone is calling it "crap", but this feels like a conversation you have with your grandparents trying to convince them that it's time to move on from their DVD player to Blu Ray.

It gets the job done and in a few cases it's used well, but the majority of the time it isn't and it's age shows. And if we don't push for a change, companies will continue to use what ever is the cheapest and most profitable.

Last edited: May 3, 2013

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's as if you're determined to not "get" what I'm saying.
    Making a blind statement that A:CM ended up as it did because it was using the UE3.

It's that true how did so many other games use the engine and turn out so damn great?
    You're also making it sound as if Thief can only be good if it's on next gen technology. Yeah, solid gameplay and a tight art direction can't make a good game. It has to be fancy new technical features. :rolleyes:

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    There's no UE 3.5 nor UE 3.9. The samaritan stuff can be found in the current UE 3 and UDK.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes there is, UT3 got updated to U3.5E with that Titan patch.

Current, but not in UDK released 2 years ago and most who use U3 engine for some time end up using older code of it..

And since Thief4 is apparently for 4years in production, Im sure they are not using the latest and the greatest, those screens proved it.

Yes because its the truth.. U3E has its flaws, ther biggest is poor baked lightning and plastic (reflections) feel to it. Every U3E game has this vibe to it., including Aliens CM which is really bad btw, even Bulletstorm has it better but not much..

And why promote somethig next-gen and then use old tech for it?

Anyway Idc anymore because i see they will drop it - poor AI scripting and good thing its bad so we will get something better. :]

19. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Spent a long time roaming around in the first one. Mostly to explore the towns. The gameplay was interesting of course. Not playing it anymore because I guess since gaming graphics have leaped way ahead it's hard to go back sometimes. Even with the play style many of us liked so much in Thief.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Thief3 still looks and plays good imo, but only if you use John P. texture pack :)