Raid 0 Trim support, intel RST 11.2

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Ouzo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SrengthOfLength

SrengthOfLength Guest

GPU:
    2x Windforce 680 - SLi
    Maybe garbage collection, but no Trim on windows 7 in raid-0, end of story.

2. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ti SUPER
    ...and you know this because...?

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure , got some proof , show me some data , real proof and tests that you have run yourself , and what kind of understanding you have of how the file system works in Raid0 Mode and How the new Filter in the new RST 11.5 driver works under ichr10 and intel chipset and what they do in W7x64 bit, lets get technical shall we :) please explain those here maybe you know something i dont , im awaiting your answers :).

4. medoomi

medoomi Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9600
    Thanks for the test you put the SSD's through--I've been following the results with interest.

It does leave me with a question though, and you may have the answer... Do you have any data on how your Samsung 830's coped with raid0 before you installed the new RST? I think you're proved quite well that some sort of trim or garbage collection is taking place now which is great. But can you differentiate this from what was taking place before you upgraded to a trim-capable driver?

I'm personally sitting with two Intel X25-M's (no garbage collection)--hence my interest :)

5. SrengthOfLength

SrengthOfLength Guest

GPU:
    2x Windforce 680 - SLi
    There is no trim support for raid arrays at all at the moment, this will not change until next year - on Windows 8.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh really :rolleyes: , You dont know what you are talikng about , end of story.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ti SUPER
    Source?

And I do not mean the part about Windows 8...

8. SrengthOfLength

SrengthOfLength Guest

GPU:
    2x Windforce 680 - SLi
    I have 2 SSD in RAID-0 I assure you if you prove me wrong I will be thrilled.

However you wont.

9. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Wow extremely confident for someone with NO information.

It does say in the release notes that RAID 0 TRIM is supported.. it is just a limitation of Windows 7 treating the array as SCSI.

10. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Im having some issues.

My 2x 60Gb OCZ Agility 3 that are in RAID 0 were going slow, 300mb read and 130mb write so i decided to follow the steps here and install the new option rom into my bios and flash it and also install the new RST driver. All this with a fresh install of windows 7

But my read and write speeds are still just as slow.

Do you think i just need to leave it sat while i sleep so it can do garbage collection etc and then see how the speeds are? What if that makes no difference?

They were fine when i first set up this raid0 a few weeks back :(

11. Fernando 1

Fernando 1 Member

GPU:
    Intel iGPU
    TRIM works within RAID0 under Win7

@ all:

The combination RST RAID ROM v11.5.0.1207 + RST(e) Drivers v11.5.0.1207 obviously lets the TRIM command pass through the Intel RAID Controller to the RAID member SSD's even under Windows 7.

This is the result of tests done by a German user named btester and layed down and documented by screenshots >here<.
    Here is a translation of his text:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Where can I find this RAID Rom?

13. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ti SUPER
  14. Addthefun

Addthefun Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    I want to try to update my raid option rom to this new one, but I don't know if I need to mod it in any way first since I have an intel dp67de mobo?

Also, how do you actual flash the raid option rom once you have the file?

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

16. Fernando 1

Fernando 1 Member

GPU:
    Intel iGPU
    Intel RST 11.5 brings Trim support for RAID0

Obviously yes, but not with RST11.2. What you need is the Intel RST RAID ROM v11.5.0.1414 in combination with the latest RST(e) drivers v11.5.0.1207.
    It would be fine, if you could edit the thread title. "RST 11.2" is misleading.
    Or here: http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208...6649-ahci-raid-rom-module-bereits-extrahiert/

All mainboards with an Intel chipset (ICH 8R/M or higher) are using exactly the same Intel RAID Option ROM file. There is nothing to change or to mod with the ROM file.

Here is a guide about how to do it: http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208...pci-rom-modules-of-an-ami-phoenix-award-bios/

Regards
    Fernando

17. Addthefun

Addthefun Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    I tried following the guide but opening the mainboard bios didn't seem to work in the cmd.exe as administrator. Is this related to your guide being for AMI bios's and mine being an Intel motherboard/bios?

I'm just not able to solve how to flash the raid option rom on my intel dp67de motherboard.

18. Fernando 1

Fernando 1 Member

GPU:
    Intel iGPU
    There are different BIOS structure standards depending on the BIOS type (Award/Phoenix or AMI). The structure of the actual Intel mainboard BIOSes may look quite similar to the AMI UEFI ones, but unfortunately Intel does not follow the AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS structure standard. That is why you can open the Intel DP67DE BIOS file named BA0079.bio by using the AMI Aptio MMTool, but you are not able to find and to replace the inserted Intel RAID ROM module. Maybe Intel just wants to prevent, that anyone is going to modify their BIOS the easy way.
    On the other hand users with an Intel mainboard may have an advantage: I am pretty sure, that Intel as a chipset/mainboard/SSD manufacturer will offer very soon new BIOS versions for their Sandy/Ivy Bridge boards containing an updated Intel RAID ROM of the v11.5 series.

19. Addthefun

Addthefun Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    Thanks for your response, you seem extremely informed on the topic and I'm glad you cleared this up for me.

As far as intel is concerned, they seem to only release raid option roms along with their bios updates, and it kind of stinks that they didn't release the newest raid rom with the bios they released just this week, but oh well.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    READ POST # 51 by Fernando Fernando , Myself and a whole bunch of guys at XS Forum and many other forums all over the net have been doing a lot of research and testing ourselves comparinfg and exchanging findings and information to prove W7x64 its using TRIM on a Raid0 array with new RST 11.5 and Bios Rom 11.5 intel chipsets , Now there's your answer and real proff , instead of going by what you think , why you dont do something useful for the community and do some testing to share results and compare yourself instead of Blabbing words , talk its cheap is in it ;) , End Of Story :thumbup:
    Who's Thrilled Now and who was right ;)
    For your Info i am a Storage freak :D , Thats my passion of hardware.

By Fernando:
    @ all:

The combination RST RAID ROM v11.5.0.1207 + RST(e) Drivers v11.5.0.1207 obviously lets the TRIM command pass through the Intel RAID Controller to the RAID member SSD's even under Windows 7.

This is the result of tests done by a German user named btester and layed down and documented by screenshots >here<.
    Here is a translation of his text:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btester
    I have tested this new Intel RAID ROM for SATA - v11.5.0.1414 + RST 11.5.0.1207 with my Z77X-UD5H under WIN7-64bit with 2 SSD's as RAID0. After having deleted the data the related sectors are empty again (showing just zeros).
    As long as I used older RST drivers and ROM versions I got these sectors with the deleted data completely full with YYYYYYY, now - with the actual v11.5 Drivers/ROM combination - I only see 0000000, that means the cells have been cleaned by TRIM.
    The same thing happens with a single SSD running in AHCI mode after having done a quick formatting.
    According to my knoledge TRIM is working now within an RAID0 array of SSD's.