PS4 Hardware.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Strikerx80, Nov 17, 2012.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I think an AMD APU is a good choice for a console and can definitely see why they would consider going that route. Good for AMD! This would garnish them some good business and revenue.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    For me the point in consoles always was that it was much cheaper than a PC.
    Unless they can offer a console that offers much better performance than a PC for the same price I'm not going to get anything, my PS2 still works fine haha.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still love the consoles And the fact I can play my games on 32" or higher HDTV with game pad, and not worry about the game pad not working on the pc verison or hard to read on 32" pc version on hdtv.

My problem with consoles is simply the fact None of do real 1080p and most the times none the games do 60fps hell most of them barely do 30 fps with out frame drops and AA is hit or miss on them.

I like to be able to play my consoles game without my eyes bleeding from how terrible they look cause lack of AA and lack of true 720p and 1080p I can forgive frame drops but Fake 720p/1080p and no AA i can not Just cause you HDTV says 1080p/720p dont mean it really that res its just upscaled, and we all know upscaling is not the same as target rendering of game. Down scaling from something that 1.5~2x better then 720p/1080p works great for jaggies ,but upscaling is and has always been crap

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That is exactly what consoles do not specialize at.

PCs can manage the high-res, high-fps, lots of AA stuff you seem to prioritize.

Unfortunately, PCs are actually quite bad at rendering the scene itself, comparatively. PCs require substantially more capable hardware to achieve the same scene as a console. Console developers have more access to the hardware. PC developers have to go through multiple layers to get to the hardware. It's a huge performance impact.

When I say scene, I mean the actual things, like lighting passes, shadows, models, etc.

Think about it. Those 360 games that come out? Sure, they don't look as good as a PC, but they're close, and they're running on a modified X1800XT (with modified elements of a 2900XT). I have an X1950pro on my shelf. If I try to use that, I can't play anything even remotely new.

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Console has an advantage since its purposely built for gaming developers can utilize each hardware like cpu, memory and graphics to the maximum on the other hand PC since there are so many dam configurations poppin out on in this planet called earth its kinda hard maximizing the hardware without people complaining "Hey this runs crap on my PC this game is not Optimized hahahah!" but overall PC will always be superior Upcoming PS4 and 720 is already outdated when compare to High End PC hardware just look at it you have a GPU that uses 4 graphics card ATi in Quadfire and Nvidia in Quad Sli i mean that alone already obliterates what console can do.

6. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    Just jumping in here to state that well, the PS3 definitely does have more power than the 360. When it comes to multiplatform games they're usually built on the 360 then ported to PS3 which is why they run and or look better on the 360.

But when games are built to take advantage of the hardware I think the PS3 definitely wins. This is coming from a PC gamer of 10 years and someone who got the 360 around launch. I just picked up a PS3 a few weeks ago and some titles like Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 have even made me just stop and go "wow, that looks incredible." and I can't believe it's not running on my 2 x 7970's lol.

7. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Yeah, PS3 is much more powerful, but the Cell is VERY hard to code to properly. The entire thing is DMA for memory access, so keeping the CPU's at work is not a trivial task. The lack of RAM (256MB) is another problem, as this limits texture size compared to the 360. But in terms of pure theoretical max performance? PS3 wins. Getting that performance is the problem however.

As for PC's, emulators can already emulate the PS2 at double/triple its native resolution at close to 60 FPS in most cases, where the PS3 80GB model (the one with SW emulation) can only do this at hte PS2's native res. Kinda shows the power difference the PC has.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3

9. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
    whether its in this one or the console after its not a smart move

http://uk.game spot.com/news/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games-6401992

Remove the space.

this is so silly especially when games are far more of a gamble as the quality is so dire recently.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This was always gona happen, Ever since the invention of Online consoles. and Retail stores selling the same game over and over for a profit that the game maker never see's after the intial sale.

I kept saying for years a Steam like DRM is gona happen on consoles. And needs to happen. People need to get over it you dont see people complain about Steam? yet cause consoles haven done it yet and might they will.

Something likes this was always gona happen, you can thank the consoles going online for this becoming possible. Personally I think its a good thing and should of happend long ago. Im sure I will get flamed or attacked for saying this.

The whole issue would never be an issue if consoles never went online, but they did so it was inevitable.

11. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
    it was going to happen but only for greed. the thing is retail is not that greedy compared to the console CEO's and the consoles makers who are just a little less greedy then publishers.

the dif between pc and console though is the pricing and the sales. dont forget on pc you have choices though, you can buy some DRM free games, also cracks are easy to use to bypass DRM but its not looked at that much.

as soon as that console DRM is bypassed watch the fuss like what happened with holtz.

the worst of this is, it wont help the gamers or the devs. dont forget when the game goes gold they have been paid, the rest goes to CEO's and publishers for big boats and not for innovative IP's.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

I doubt this will ever get off the ground for consoles, unless Sony have a way of writting to the actual game disc how would another system know the game had alreay been played on another system.......plus what about a household with more than one console in the house....why should they not be allowed to play their games on their hardware.......what about rental games....what would happen if your console died.

But the main one would be how do you make non writtable media not run on another system.

And i doubt i'm the only one here who would not touch a system or its games if they were all linked to one consoles only.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No there is no used game section for pc and hasnt been for years simply cause all games are CD Key or locked to an account. Consoles used games sale make more profit from sell them used game over and over, which most likely has more profit then the selling the game new will ever make. that the makers never see a dime from, Which one morre excuses to make games more expensive to buy initially cause there losing profits from the retail stores selling them used over and over letting them make out like bandits.

And because DRM is alot harder to by pass on consoles that is more reason as to why this should of happend long again. Which would stop the used game sales. which is main reason why this is happening and should of happened long ago.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think introducing Steam like DRM on console will do nothing but reduce game sales on next gen consoles.

I know many people who buy just about every single console game that is released, not because they have more money than sense, but because if they don't like it, or finish it quickly then they can trade it in or sell it.

Take away that safety net and I can see a lot less people taking risks on games.

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The gaming industry sure whines alot. Cars, movies, books etc all have a second hand market, why the hell should games be different?

16. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    In this industry all is about money, in the beginning the games had brilliant game play and story's , but the games were just for fun now is all about the money so the rest is second.
    :bang::banana::pc1::puke2:

17. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Exactly. Ultimately this would kill the market for used games. Getting rid of the used game market would seriously hurt the industry, take power of choice and freedom away from the consumer, and murder small business when it comes to gaming. All around, that is a BAD idea. I am not sure I would want to game in an environment that I am not free to buy, trade and sell my wares either in a local retail store, or online on a site like eBay or Amazon.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Steam like stuff coming to consoles? I'm not surprised at all given the whole online pass thing going on these days but with patches, hardware failures, firmware updates, lots of DLC and now accounts .. it makes consoles a lot less attractive for me. Don't EA and Ubi have their own accounts in game these days though not to the extent in PCs? EA even has origin in my iPad games.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  20. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Good. Awful controller.