Hybrid scanline sync

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by bt_sam, May 2, 2024.

1. bt_sam

bt_sam Member

GPU:
    I had posted this in the development thread in error (sorry) so thought i'd repost here for some advice, hope you can help.

with reference to unwinders original poest regarding hybrid sync - a scanline of -100 is set

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-163#post-5951576

i was hoping for some clarification as to how best to finetune this if needed and whether front or back edge sync is the prefrerred method for hybrid mode - if i've read correctly front = better frame pacing but more latency?

thanks so much - sorry to pester

sam

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  2. You just need to find the value that works for your display, it can vary from game to game too.
    Negative values are easier to work with as you don't need to input exact scanline numbers.

Don't think it matters much which sync mode you use.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Front edge has a more stable tearline, but sacrifices some input lag in order to achieve that. Back edge has a tearline that kind of "flickers" a bit and is more like a "tear bar" than a line, but has a bit less input lag.

Andy_K likes this.
  4. A.Wesker

A.Wesker Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    is there any other method that gives less input lag other than scanline sync without tearline other than gsync/freesync? it seems it is the best option.

Last edited: May 3, 2024

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Fast sync. But you need very high frame rates (at least 2x your refresh rate.)

And of course g-sync, which is the perfect solution. You get the same input lag as vsync OFF at frame rates that are lower than refresh rate, but without the tearing.

6. Il Rah

Il Rah New Member

GPU:
    RTX 7800 XT
    Sorry to butt in the conversation, there aren't many hybrid scanline sync discussions.

Is there a better method than hybrid scanline sync for maintaining the ratio of strobe rate = frame rate = refresh rate in GPU heavy games?
    I used it mainly for Apex Legends locked at 180fps since I can 99.9% keep that in fights and normal gameplay except in the dropship (which doesn't matter).

I've tried low lag vsync before, and despite my admittedly non-sensitivity to input lag I could somehow feel the game sluggish/slow with my mouse swipes feeling odd. There's a chance I didn't set it up correctly, but I followed the blurbusters' tutorial as best I could.