High price increase on nvme and ssd drives coming soon. If you need storage buy it right now

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by chispy, Oct 7, 2023.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Samsung Electronics is reportedly planning a massive hike in NAND flash pricing, potentially in the double-digit range which would be applicable across all products.

"" Samsung Nand Flash products including nvme's and ssd's are going to get real expensive "" the rest of the companies will follow. I knew this was bound to happen soon as the prices of m.2 nvme drives and ssd's are at all time low right now and they need to get prices back to normal and/or higher.( Heads Up Everyone ) If you need storage buy it right now that is cheap before they go way up in price again.""

The cheap m.2 nvme/ssd low price bubble it's about to pop ...

Business Korea reports that the DRAM industry is experiencing an economic rebound, owing to the demand from server companies due to the ongoing rise in AI developments. Things are still grim on the consumer side, though. Samsung Electronics plans a 10% price hike, effective early next month. This may adversely affect consumer storage costs; hence, if you are looking for an NVMe, now could be the right time.

If we look at the current market share, Samsung Electronics holds most of it, leaving behind the likes of SK Hynix and Micron. Decisions by the Korean giant are ultimately implemented by the whole industry, this increase in NAND flash prices will also be put in place by other key players, which justifies the fact that things could take an upturn on the consumer side when it comes to pricing of NAND-based products such as SSDs and NVMe.

Sources - https://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=202901 and https://wccftech.com/samsung-electr...ve-nand-flash-price-hike-starting-next-month/

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I just loaded up on my needs of m.2 nvme storage a couple of weeks ago for good , no need for more storage for me for the next 5~10 years :p , got a super deal on a flash sale on newegg on a 4TB Addlink S90 Lite nvme 4.0 for only $169US Dollars with a newegg discount coupon code of $10US Dollars and a 2TB Team Group MP44L nvme 4.0 on sale for only $65US Dollars.

I knew this low price wave on storage during past months was bound to end sooner than later , and here we are.:oops:

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just don't buy samsungs failing flash storage.

JAMVA, chispy and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Solid info chispy and thank you! I was telling my friends that if they're going to build a PC, now is the time and hurry. I'm already noticing price increases at Micro Center. I'm gonna pickup some extra storage now. My head is spinning on how fast my drives are filling up. AAA games are getting larger and before you know it the space dwindles.

***EDIT***

@chispy

Hey man! You bought them all! :p:D:D:D J\Ks

https://www.newegg.com/addlink-4tb-s90-lite/p/0D9-00VZ-00023

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    chispy likes this.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not that I needed that much, but bought some anyway.
    Just a spare 1TB NVMe and 2x500 GB NVMe, all Crucial.
    The 2x500GB could be used as a RAID0/1 for caching or as OS storage. The 1TB is just a spare.
    Hope that prices will not increase that much and I'll end up feeling sorry that I bought too little.
    Money are better used on other things than tech and storage.

chispy likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Eh, I was hoping gen5 nvme prices to drop.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It seems PC memory Ram prices is about to get a big jump in price also :oops:

" Memory prices rebound due to reduced production , increasing demand ! "

Memory makers are witnessing increasing prices as production reductions lead to price rises in both DRAM and NAND segments. Companies like Adata, Phison, and Winbond are experiencing improved revenues in September and Q3, with an overall positive future outlook, reports UDN.com.

Source - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/memory-prices-rebound-due-to-reduced-production-increasing-demand

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What, some floods and fires are threatening the NAND and RAM plants?o_O:confused:;)

chispy likes this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Bought a cheap Crucial 1TB nvme last week. 45€. Just for secondary storage to take some pressure off my main nvme.

Cheaper SSDs and RAM has been nice while it lasted. Hopefully next time I'll need to buy more in a couple years, prices will be competitive again.

JAMVA, chispy and fantaskarsef like this.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TrendForce reports indicate a universal price increase for both DRAM and NAND Flash starting in the fourth quarter. DRAM prices, for instance, are projected to see a quarterly surge of about 3-8%. Whether this upward momentum can be sustained will hinge on the suppliers' steadfastness in maintaining production cuts and the degree of resurgence in actual demand, with the general-purpose server market being a critical determinant.

PC DRAM: DDR5 prices, having already surged in the third quarter, are expected to maintain their upward trajectory, fueled by the stocking of new CPU models. This forthcoming price hike cycle for both DDR4 and DDR5 is incentivizing PC OEMs to proceed with purchases. Although manufacturers still have substantial inventory and there's no imminent shortage, Samsung has been nudged to further slash its production. However, facing negative gross margins on DRAM products, most manufacturers are resistant to further price reductions, instead pushing for aggressive increases. This stance sets the stage for an anticipated rise in DDR4 prices by 0-5% and DDR5 prices by around 3-8% in the fourth quarter. Overall, as DDR5 adoption accelerates, an approximate 3-8% quarterly increase is projected for PC DRAM contract prices during this period.

Source - https://www.techpowerup.com/

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I already sorted my storage out. Stares at 5TB worth of NVME storage in his PC*

chispy likes this.
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Found the Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 for 40€ and the 2TB for 79€.Should I ?
    one or two units?

chispy likes this.
  15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's a really good price for an nvme with DRAM cache. Normally you get DRAM-less ones at that price range. Especially the 2TB version sounds good (800TBW). It used to cost over $200 a couple years ago.

chispy and anticupidon like this.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So,2x1TB or one 2TB?

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    One 2TB. I assume you don't have unlimited M.2 slots so that leaves you the option to add another nvme in the future. And the higher TBW due to the larger capacity is preferable.

chispy and anticupidon like this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I see. Thanks.

chispy likes this.
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Bought it, sometimes I feel that I hold on too much on cash, than when I want to buy something, either is too expensive, or unavailable.

chispy likes this.
  20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090