Headphone talk

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FULMTL, Feb 23, 2013.

1. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Well, a Grado would be a great choice for metal, they sound great at low volume and do not need to be amped, but they do benefit from being amped.

They also will give you that higher end on the treble......for some it is too much.

I love hearing guitar and for me the Grado really shines in this area.

It would just depend on how high up the Grado chain that you would want to go.

SR60i....$79
    SR80i...$99
    125i....$150
    225i...$200
    325i.....$295
    RS2i....$495
    RS1i....$695
    PS500...$595
    GS1000i...$995
    PS1000i....$1695

The above prices are pretty standard and you do not find too many sales on Grado headphones, however you could find a store that offers a certain percentage off of what ever you buy, and you could apply that to help cut down on cost.

You could also buy them second hand and save a pretty nice amount.

If you could hear them first you would have a better idea as to if you liked the sound or not....the same sound signature is present pretty much through out the line.

Good luck in what ever you decide and whatever kind of headphones you decide to get.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If I was going Grado in boom12a's position, I'd probably grab some MS2's or 325i's second hand. Don't think I'd bother otherwise.

3. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Sometimes it is just worth getting the SR60i.....that way you are not out much in case you do not like them.

Then if you do like them, you can sell the 60's and move up the chain.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd agree with that in most cases. For my being in the UK my only option to 'try' them was to get the MS1's, which actually turned out cheaper even after delivery from the US than to buy the SR60's in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-SR60i...F8&qid=1370121910&sr=8-2&keywords=grado+sr60i

£110 new compared to the £75 it cost me to import the MS1's from the states.

If you're in a country and position where returns are easily possible, by all means. But he wants an 'upgrade' from what he's currently using, not something that's as good but offers a different sound. I'd lean toward the 325's or MS2's in that scenario.

5. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I sometimes forget that the prices are higher outside the US.

I agree that the 325i is definitely an upgrade, plus you get the leather headband and metal cups, so the build quality is better.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Yeah. That's why I suggest it, you get a real feel of quality with it. Really nice bit of kit.

7. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    Would there be a noticeable difference in sound between the 125, 225 and 325 series? I'm not sure I would want to spend this much for the 325i without ever hearing any Grado, but maybe a little less for the 125 or the 225 to try the brand like mentioned by gridiron whirlw.

I also was looking at the Denon ah-d1100, but some people found them flimsy, I'm not hard on my stuff, but do not want something that will break just by looking at them.

I'm wondering about the difference in sound in the Denon compared to the Grado.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Your CAL's are very similar to the Denon ah-d1100's, give or take. That's why they're so good. They're actually a Denon design, the d1001 to be exact. If you're really unsure I'd say get the MS1's to test the waters. Or save some and get the MS2's or 325i's. If that is what you've settled down with anyway.

9. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    Yes, now that you mention that I remember reading that about the Cal's, I will have to think about what to get. I do appreciate the insight you have all given me.

thank you very much for your help

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Any questions or considerarations, just ask. You do not "have" to buy Grado, or any specific brand. After all, we're trying to find what is right for you.

11. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    Understood, I did learn a lot just reading thru this thread a few months ago and again today. I will most likely ask before I buy. :thumbup:

12. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    we don't have many decent headphone shops over here (at least not that i'm aware of), best one i know is all the way on the other side of Australia (Perth), so have to rely on reading people's reviews and opinions on what it sounds like, granted the Perth store has great policy in that i can return it for full store credit (i pay shipping) should i not like the headphone

atm sporting a pair of Shure 1440's, coming from Alessandro MS1's (my first good pair of headphones), would love to eventually get the Alessandro MS Pro, which i think will be end game for me :p

13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I would not have a problem of buying the headphones in the u.s.a. and shipping them to you guys, wherever you are located for just the cost of shipping....if that would help anybody out.

I am just not sure how much the shipping cost would be.

@ boom12a1......the difference in the 125i....225i and 325i

125i ...Has vinyl headband - S Cushion earpads - Plastic cups

225i...Has vinyl headband - L- Cushion earpads (These are better) - Plastic Cups

325i...Has leather headband - L-Cushion earpads - Metal cups - thicker cable....best of the build quality of the three....some say brighter highs than the 125 and 225.

The sound signature of all three would be similar..just a tad more detailed as you move up the line.....may or may not be worth it to you.

Like Darkest said, don't feel you need to buy a specific brand , as there are many great headphones to chose from, with Grado just being one of them.

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    top bloke :thumbup:

15. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Head-fi.org finally makes a new members section. I was trying to tell them for a long time to prevent new users from making a thread until they've made at least three posts. That would give users enough time to do some homework before asking. Most of the time a headphone suggestion could be found within the first few pages.
    The repeated threads were really getting out of hand, and I took a half year(?) break from headfi. I've been going back in the last few weeks because I'm itching to buy something...

On a side note, I just friggin realized my headphones I ordered is being shipped to my old address :( At least they weren't that expensive, but I feel really stupid. I went ahead and took off the old address from Amazon address book.

How can I order a dozen things to my current address and somehow randomly ship to a previous address....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Call the service that is delivering the package and tell them, that they're been a mistake. You could wait outside your old address, but then that prolly wouldn't end well for you.

17. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    haha that's OKs since I'm on the other side of the US now. I did email the company that I bought it from, they said it was already too late. Ah wells, my lil sis can have them.

18. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    What headphones were they ?

19. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Just my project headphones for another driver swap. They were the white version of the Philips Oniel Stretch.
    Went ahead and bought another black version for $35 :) Well now I got twins, but I have to distinguish them somehow. One of them is SRH940, the other AKG K167.
    [​IMG]

Unbreakable headphones + quality sound FTW.

I still don't know what headphones to buy next. I wish Shure made some new closed headphones, either studio monitors or DJ headphones. Their open headphones are really out of my price range. I heard them when I was overseas. I couldn't really enjoy the open headphones in a loud store ;/

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  20. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Nice.

Just put a white dot on one of them to tell them apart.

What ever you decide to get next, please post what you get and how you like them.