Far Cry 3 VGA and CPU Graphics Benchmark performance test V2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2012.

1. IamEzio

IamEzio Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE AMD HD6850 1GB
    Nice work on the benchmark , but IMO it would be nice to do one that don't use MSAA at all, without MSAA my HD6850 with OC do 40-50FPS on 1920X1200@Ultra ...

I agree ,could be nice to see i3 in the benchmark too, but i5 would IMO score close to the i7 ,so its not really needed ..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    It would be nice, but as soon as you start switching out more and more components the results become more and more unreliable...

Plus at the resolutions that actually matter the game is totally GPU bound anyway.

3. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    what are the temperatures are you folks running at? I find that running with Vsync off really heats up the cards. I hit to the 80's Celsius range if vsync is off. but if Vsync is on and forced to 60fps i only hit like 72C. What are your experiences like?

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I don't mean to be an ass, because the information in these benchmarks is really, really handy and gratefully received, but the typos and English are diabolical.

For such a big website I'm genuinely amazed no proofreading by a native English speaker has taken place - and if that was composed by a native English speaker, then I'm really surprised.

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Awayan'boilyirheid

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Is this a negotiation?

7. DigitalKilla_FL

DigitalKilla_FL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Just an idea: Could Intel's lead in games be dude to the fact that AMD motherboards do not support PCI Express 3.0?

I wonder what the numbers would look like for AMD with 3.0 :)

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Not bothered to look nor really care about the results of pci3.0 but i do believe that the census here at G3d is that pci3.0 is the bandwidth equivalent of choosing to breath through your nose over breathing through your mouth. Not that much of diff.

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    The general concensus here too is that ivy bridge is pants ( a lesser cpu to the godly sandy), 1.6ghz ram is same as 2.6ghz ram, 4gb ram on a single card is a waste of money, and any game devs that break new ground with such effects like PhysX are a fail from the get-go, their games are never more than ports.

Ivy Bridge PCI-Express Scaling with HD 7970 and GTX 680
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

10. seligkram

seligkram Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    Radeon HD 7770 why so low?

Thanks for tests, but could someone please tell me why the results for Radeon HD 7770 are so poor? I was thinking of buying one second-hand as a boost from my old nvidia 8800, as it seems to be good value around £50.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cheers for that, finally got the game :)
    Thanks also for the CPU performance chart, handy when recommending the game to others.

Yeah, just found that myself.
    I can run max settings (+ HDAO, Alpha enhanced)at 1080p.
    Dont ever notice the lack of AA.

With no GPU overclock, it occasionally drops below 45fps, mostly above 55fps, occasional small stutter but very playable.
    With GPU overclock, it almost hugs 60fps, very occasionally dropping to 57fps, is very smooth always.

A little bit odd considering the max performance increase from 44 to 57fps is 29.5% higher, yet I'm using a GPU overclock 19.1% higher, 15% higher memory.

Even odder, just tried enabling 4xAA and I get just as good performance, it almost hugs 60fps, I saw one momentary drop to 54fps during a battle.
    [happy shrug]

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Because it's a new and demanding game and the HD 7770 is an entry level gaming card. If you play at reduced settings and a lower resolution then the game will be fine for you - just don't expect High/Max @ 1080p.

13. seligkram

seligkram Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    thanks for response - I didn't explain properly what I meant - the 7770 seems to under-perform many other lower-numbered cards, eg radeon 5850 and 6850 and 6970, which I find confusing. I need to upgrade my old Geforce 8800 GTS, on a very tight budget, and I want something second-hand that might do the trick.

Which of those Radeon cards would be a good second-hand purchase, please?

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    The HD 7700 is a weaker card than all of the ones you mentioned. It's the successor to the HD 6770 which was identical to a 5770... it's better than those two, but still weaker than the HD 5850 and 6850, let alone the 6970. For AMD the second digit in the name is usually the one that indicates it's gaming power and potential.

You might be able to find an HD 6850 or 6870 for ~$100 or less used on Ebay. My wife has a 6870 in her computer and she can play FC3 on High with no AA just fine @ 1080p.