AMD: We Are On Track With Steamroller Micro-Architecture in 2013.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Pill Monster, Apr 1, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    CPU temp readings explained here.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    They do report correctly but only at higher temps....well this applies to the core temp at least.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    With such large dies and the sale of their chipmaking business, AMD has a massive task ahead. So much so that they are already talking about putting ARM IP on certain products.

For us consumers the cheap price tag is appealing and makes up for the power consumption dimension, however from a business point of view they must be bleeding. They are selling too much silicon at too low a price which means if they keep this up for the next 5 years they won't last long.

AMD has strength with their graphics IP which will be more critical in the future, since SOC cpus are the way forward. They will either turn their x86 CPU product around or jump into ARM bandwagon which is pretty popular.

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Uh, what? It is explicitly stated in the very article you failed to link (probably because it says exactly the opposite of your point) that this shows that AMD is actually very well positioned technologically in the mobile space.

The quote you missed here:

Bobcat is on a 40nm process while the Snapdragon 600 is 28. That alone accounts for a good deal of the difference between the two platforms in power consumption.

Add in that Bobcat is back from 2011, and you start to see that AMD is actually, comparing current offerings, even better positioned technologically than Intel and has an excellent processor/GPU, despite the fact that it's over two years old, and on an older process.

It is perfectly competitive in the tablet space. I'm not sure where, at all, you are getting the idea that it isn't. AMDs issue isn't with the technology. It's that no one wants x86 in a tablet form factor.

7. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    I know thi is OT, but damn, maybe in a year or 2 a smartphone will have the same GPU power as my GTS 250 :nerd:

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    a gts 250 is like 4-5 times faster than an 8500GT.. Youre looking at maybe 4/5 years at best

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You missed my point, it shows how AMD has been targeting a completely different market that doesn't exist, while the market that does just went by it.

We know the near maximum performance is that it is nearly twice as fast as the Z-60 (which itself is far slower than the E-350). So I fail to see how it can compete comfortably when it is finally released sometime in the next few months. Especially considering that the Adreno 330 is supposed to be roughly double the performance of the Adreno 320 found in the Nexus 4, and that there will be Tegra 4 and the Mali-T6xx to deal with as well. This is ignoring the Intel juggernaut that is the HD graphic series.

The source:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well the GTS250 scored 88,278 in Ice Storm... And for further comparison sakes, a GTX680 scores around 190,000.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What exactly does the mobile market have to do with Steamroller being "on schedule"????

Steamroller is a desktop part....not mobile.

12. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    In 5-6 years max there will be no 'desktop' parts anymore (there will be but in a totally different power dimension). I don't understand how people are missing the technological convergence we are experiencing.

Offering parts at 300mm2 sizes (165mm2 on 22nm Ivy quad, 216mm2 at 32nm) is painful for AMD. There is not much more to add to this as its a huge problem which guarantees major obstacles for AMD to remain competitive.

13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    No. There are mobile versions of Steamroller. Mobile doesn't mean phone or tablet, but means laptop. It's confusing because so many people use mobile differently.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're still deviating from the thread topic..... The topic is about Steamroller being on schedule....not what may happen in the future....

The "mobile market" (last I checked) encompasses laptops, netbooks, ultrabooks, tablets, phablets and cellphones.....as they're all "mobile" devices. Only 2 of those concern AMD though....ultrabooks, tablets, phablets and cellphones have nothing to do with Steamroller at this point. What I was referring to though, were the posts at the end of the previous page in regards to smartphone processors.... AMD doesn't currently design processors for those products and is not trying to compete with processors used in those products.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Steamroller is an architecture, not a part. Kaveri is for desktops and laptops as that's the APU (as such, the "part"). The codename for the FX chips based on Steamroller hasn't been released yet though.

deltatux

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well, yes and no. There are quite a bit of people who refer to mobile only as phones/tablets, there are others who use mobile to refer to laptops/netbooks/ultrabooks/etc (like AMD). True use of the word, yes mobile refers to them all, and a place like here we would use it as such.

So yes they have a mobile part (desktop/ultrabook: SR APU design) and they also have another mobile part (tablets/netbooks: Jaguar APU design) but are missing another mobile part (or a Jaguar design that can scale power/heat down to phone/phablet designs). As Detalux pointed out we have had the Kavari codename for SR laptop APU for a while now on road maps. I doubt they will be ready for the fall back to school design wins. Servers likely toward the end of the year and Kavari to come out then and just maybe get enough to laptops for Christmas season.

17. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    How is discussing a design choice deviating from the topic? More so as the architecture sets the characteristic of the chip. In this case a chip which is too large in my opinion.