12 TB or bigger harddrive that is not noisy? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by dopus, Feb 14, 2024.

1. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    I am looking for reccomendations for a harddrive for use in mye bequiet 802 pc case with my gamingPC/media server. This pc is placed under my office desk in my living room (small apartment), I have today a failing 8TB and 2 6TB Baracuda drives, and the noise level is not to bad. I am thinking of switching out the the 8TB bad drive and one of the 6 TB with a new drive of 12TB or bigger.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? The big enterprise drives have a reputation of beeing noisy. (like the seagate xeos) Any feedback on noise levels would be nice. especially if it is just more "humming" or if it is click or similar sounds?

Ihave considered Seagate Exos, and ironwolf, Toshiba NE300, Toshiba MG07, MG08, MG09 WD RED /RED PLUS.

Any feedback on noiselevel from those drives are appreciated :)

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    WD Black are good on the noise levels. SSD are even better.

dopus likes this.
  3. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    I have wd black sn850x 1TB as a system drive, and an Adata xp8200 pro 512GB. But the bigger (like 4TB) NVME SSD`s are expensive, so not an option.
    I checked the pricing on 10TB WD black....they are expeeeeeensive. they are almost 5100NOK (around 480USD) in my country

4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Move your drives away from your living room or bedroom or wherever you keep your PC.
    There's no way around the HDD noise, with all the dampening of the case, it's just not silent.

The only solution is to have them in another room, via network (a NAS).
    Your gaming/work PC SSD only, like this:
    upload_2024-2-14_20-41-38.png

dopus likes this.

5. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    In a perfect world i would have done that. Problem is that only my living room is hardwired ethernet. A NAS would have to be in the same room (at least with ethernet connected and not WIFI) Then the whole point of having a NAS is gone, and the PC is better soundproofed then a NAS in the same room. So not an options unfortunatly.

upload_2024-2-14_20-55-4.png
    The 8 TB and the two 6 TB disks are of course not quiet, but they dont make clicking and buzzing noises, just the normal light humm. And not knowing how those new 12-14-16-18-20 TB drives actually sound in sound dampend pc case, makes picking one disk/brand difficult :) . The one with 26 percent health is the one I am replacing. it has 152 reallocated sectors on it. So I better replace it sooner rather than later :)

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have the Western Digital 18TB WUH721818ALE6L4 HE18, bought 2 years ago.
    Its very fast, quiet and cool running.
    There is a HE18 16TB version also, 1 less platter I believe.
    A surefire win if the price is ok.

I've been using HGST/WD NAS and HElium drives for over 10 years and not had a failure yet.

vestibule and dopus like this.
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    How much are SATA SSD's in your country?

8. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    WD BLue 4TB sata SSD ( thee cheapest 4 TB SATA SSD in my country) begins around the same price as an 16TB Segate Exos drive, so around 320 in USD

9. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    They Are available the 18TB HC550 cost around 40000 NOK ( around 320 USD)
    The 16 TB is around 20 USD cheaper.

Prices include 25 percent VAT, so mabye not comparable to us prices.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I had silent HDDs in the past and my current one is annoyingly loud. It's not the spinning that produces annoying noise. It's the access. Some drives are really loud. You can hear the head seeking from a mile away. It's like there's someone inside the case hammering away at stuff with a chisel. It's a Toshiba X300 drive. My previous WD drives were almost dead-silent when accessing them. You could barely make out it was seeking.

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I have 870 QVO 8TB SSD for storage and removed all hard drives from my PC. It was kinda pricey but man was it worth every cent. I don't have to listen to annoying HDD noises ever again. It also doubles as game install drive in case my main 2TB nvme boot drive fills up. I found that there isn't much difference how game runs between nvme and sata, despite what synthetic benchmarks say :)

Now I know some will say "but wait, 8TB is nothing". Well yes and no. I also had lots of HDDs but then I realized data hoarding is sickness. I freed myself from that and wish you all one day to free yourselves of this burden. Nowadays for me 8TB seems A LOT for storage (I have 11TB of SSD in my PC in total) :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    What benefits games is the really low latency seeking and loading, which SATA SSD's provide.

Glottiz and rflair like this.
  13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I have 10TB Seagate Ironwolf which I find fine, it has the initial spin up noise from sleep, but if you don't care about power you can get around that. I use it for my music collection and for games that I've completed, I move them from the SSD to HD, there is somewhere around 120 games on it I can fire up whenever I want.

Also have a 4TB HD which I use as a scratch drive, doesn't bother me either.

vestibule likes this.
  14. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    After doing a bit of research online I ended up ordering a ultrastar HC550 18TB harddrive. After reading userfeedback that this is one of the better ones regarding noise, of the big drives.
    Speed is not that improtant, as the disk will serve as storage for media, pictures, and persoal files....nothing that requires a lot of bandwidth/speed. I have my SSD`s for windows and games.
    The disk will probably be deliverd to me tomorrow :)

Mufflore and vestibule like this.
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You'll love it, so quiet and cool running.
    When empty mine operated @ 280 to 160MB/s (start of drive to end of drive).
    = 270MB/s at the start increasing to 280MB/s after 80GB. End partition speed test was last 2.3TB (86% of size) with no data on it.

16. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    The disk arrived yesterday, only to be the wrong size. The barcode sticker put on by the supplier showed a partnuber in their webshop for a 18 TB drive, but the drive was clearly marked 16TB, and was in the factory sealed antistatic packaging. I have contacted the supplier to get them to send me the correct drive, and to get a return label for the one they sendt me. Also made them aware of the wrong warehouse partnumber labeling of the drive.(Probably for a hole batch of drives, that are wrongly labeled with a part nr /qr code for a 18TB drive).

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They probably know, at least you spotted it :)

18. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    According to their support staff, I will have to RMA it, and send it back. They will probably have to reciev the disk from me first, before sending out a new one with the correct size.
    Probably gone take 5-10 working days...but I am not in a hurry. The old drive is holding steady at 152 reallocated sectors,so it has not degraded more in the last two weeks. It will probably be okay until i get my replacement drive.

19. If having 18 TB isn't a deal breaker you could also keep the 16 TB drive and have them refund the difference to you.

The thing with failing drives is, they might degrade slowly at first, until they just die. At least backup everything important from the old drive if your gonna wait for the 18 TB replacement.

Mufflore likes this.
  20. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    Already done.