ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme; spins briefly but no output... DOA?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Civrock, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Civrock

Civrock Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming
    Hello fellow Nvidia users... I need some assistance. I couldn't find anything helpful online that matches my situation so here I am.

I got a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme delivered from Amazon the other day and immediately went and installed it, but no display input. I tried the other DP ports as well as the DVI and HDMI, but nothing. I can hear the Windows login jingle so the motherboard etc are still fine.
    This 1070 is replacing a 970 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming), and when putting the 970 back in, it works fine.

The 1070 spins for a moment when the PC is turned on but stops, which I assume is fine since it specifically says that the fans will stop at low load, but the card gets warm so I assume it is getting power and is running (except for no video on either of my monitors...).

Anyway, like I said, I tried all the different ports and with various peripherals disconnected, such as with just one monitor... but nothing. If I connect the 970 together with the 1070 (not SLI), it boots normally and I can even see the 1070 in the Device Manager, but it shows Code 43. I completely removed drivers using DDU and reinstalled the latest drivers but same result.

Before I give up and call this thing DOA, and get a replacement shipped from Amazon, is there anything else I can try to get it working respectively confirm for certain that its video output is "dead"?

As mentioned, everything works perfectly fine without the 1070 so that pretty much rules out issues with the motherboard, monitors, cables... and I don't think it's the PSU output either since it's supposed to have 750W (pcpartpicker shows a max pull of about 460W with all components, and peripherals I don't think pull much on top of that). On that note, I even tried other slots on the PSU with new cables to see if that helps... but nope. :(

BIOS is the latest version just released a few days ago, I updated it in hopes of it being a compatibility issue but still no video. As far as BIOS, I can't even get to it if the 1070 is the only card connected, but the code indicates that it's getting to the BIOS... except that, once again, there's no video output to my monitor! Only if I connect the DP cable directly to the motherboard or use the 970.
    I also attempted it with Fast Boot disabled, as well as without UEFI or Secure Boot, to rule out any MOBO compatibility issues there.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 144Hz Monitor

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Not really techie any more, but a couple of things spring to mind -

1. Have you connected the 6pin/8pin PCI-E power cable to the card properly? Sometimes unless it clicks, it hasn't made a proper connection.

2. Secondly - is it perhaps your monitor? Is it switched off, or the connection has worked loose with you plugging or unplugging it at the other end?

Sounds very basic, I know, but I pulled my hair out thinking that my new mobo installation was blown when it turned out that I'd forgotten to flick the little switch to turn my PSU back on!

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess it's a faulty card, since it is recognised with an error code (driver responds that the GPU has reported an error), and the 970 still works. I'd grab a replacement by amazon, if you enter their chat, you might have a replacement sent right away, before your's gets back to them (if they got stock).

4. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    wow that sucks. i am supposed to be getting my ASUS strix 1070 today.. i hope mine is not DOA... ive waited too darn long already. best of luck to you m8

ALso real quick, if you were like me and where using your on board gfx while waiting for your new GPU, maybe try quickly plugging the HDMI cable into the IGPU output on the mobo, then powercycle, then replugging it into the 1070's HDMI output AFTER you restart your PC. (i had a similar problem with my 980 after using my 4690k's igpu. and this solved it)

5. Civrock

Civrock Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming
    Yep, even tried other ports and new cables on the PSU (modular) to rule that out. The card has a green light above the two 8-pin ports that doesn't turn green unless both cables are securely connected.

Monitor is fine, I tried all ports on the 1070 with either of my two monitors and the same cables/ports work with the 970.

Got a replacement coming tomorrow... they give a month to send the old one back. The only problem is if the second one doesn't work either, because then I'll have NO IDEA what else to try other than a different brand 1070, I guess. Hopefully not some unidentified compatibility issue with the ASUS MOBO and the ZOTAC 1070... I wouldn't have the patience to wait for a fix.

Yeah... I tried that already with HDMI and DP on the MOBO, then on 1070. No video output from the 1070 even though it gets warm, so it's getting power... no clue what else to check short of assuming that it's 'dead'.

Thank you for replying everyone so far. :)

6. Civrock

Civrock Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming
    Just got the replacement and plugged it right up... working like a charm without any issues so far. Definitely looks like the first one was DOA. :)

7. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    This same thing just happened to me with an Asus Strix 1070 from Newegg. I couldn't find anything on Google, but your description of the problem fits mine perfectly. I just sent mine back this morning, but I was worried I missed something, so I came here looking for answers. Found 'em!

Just one more reason this forum is the best! I have never had DOA hardware before. I wonder how common this is for this series of cards...