Zotac 2070super mini, opinions thoughts?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Laughing Ma, Jan 6, 2020.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    In the middle of building a new rig just now. The rigs a fully air cooled, 3700x powered system sitting on a micro atx board inside a Thermaltake Lvl VT20 case. Wanted something smaller, easier to maintain (no water cooling this time round) and that wouldn't break the bank.

The last part I am needing, apart from an OS is a graphics card. I can go for a full length card however I have excluded going for the newer 2080s 9ti/supers) as the cost difference is nowhere near worth the very little perfromance increase.

Iam planning on running at 1440p and long story short I've come down to a 2070super as being the sweep spot.

The thing is I was looking at the Gigabyte tri force GPU, I had one of their 570s a few years ago and it was a superb card however the Zotac 2070super mini has caught my attention for a good number of reasons the biggest being that it is some £150 cheaper than the Gigabyte and just about one of the cheapest in the 2070super range.

It's also a much smaller factor and only needs a single 8pin PSU connector (slightly easier cable management.)

The thing is nowhere seems to have any reviews for this card. It ticks a lot of boxes but the price of it screams cheap so their has to be some compromise? The spec doesn't seem to hamper it as it more or less matches other 2070supers. I am wondering if anyone has any experience of this specific card. Is it quiet, does it run as well as other 2070supers and does it struggle with temps being a much smaller card?

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it should be a good investment if your goal is a small build

3. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    2070 super mini by Zotac is a bit on the toasty side, and tends to end up with coil whine often, as-per reviewers on Amazon. It was 489$ when I was shopping for one in the 1st or 2nd week of december when my rx 480 scrambled the desktop and crashed the 'puter (it had been going out for some time but this was the first time it BSOD'ed the machine). I ended up settling on an EVGA 2070 Super Black (I believe it's 'gaming black), if you can get it within ~30$ of the Zotac it's a good card, no audible coil whine and it's not loud except for 2~4 seconds at first boot. I don't really hear it in my case, though the case is sound-deadened. I recommend you read the newegg and amazon reviews well for the cards you wish to buy. There's a reason the Zotac is cheap, it's because it has less metal on it vs other cards, the cooler is 'just enough' to run it comfortably. If you have a lot of air on it I'm sure it'll be fine, but if there's just enough airflow I'd get something with a more substantial cooler (provided it will fit in the case). I only got the EVGA model because I don't have a case window in this full tower, don't want to pay extra for RGB disco-tech kid stuffs, and it was what's in stock and able to ship from Amazon (I gave up on newegg as they use UPS - United Package Smashers, many years ago I got too much damaged stuff so I got sick of it, your mileage may vary).
    Just remember, you generally get what you pay for. Regardless, the 2070 Super (by any maker) is a GREAT card, especially coming from an RX 480 / RX 570, there's little comparison, and it will run Quake II RTX at 65~70FPS steadily at whatever it's defaults are on 1080p.

Anything higher is a total waste at 1080p, but this will be tops for a good two years at-least if not longer, and should withstand the console launches (future next-gen console ports) well as it'll be on par graphically. Sadly I don't have anything else with RTX, but it's excellent and I MEAN A GOD SEND when doing modeling / graphic work as I can preview my textures and models in real time VS waiting for it to trace up. I hadn't even though of that part until I hit the buy button, but was glad when I saw it in action. I do lots of game content creation here for BeamNG Drive.

If it's a very cramped case I might almost recommend a reference card. They blow air out the back as they're designed to do, VS AIB cards that just dump heat all over the inside of the case, and a bit outside the chassis. If you have air coming in directly at the card and plenty of it, it shouldn't be too much issue either way, but again, if you have 'just enough' air, these are things to consider. If things get too hot, you can always stick Noctua fans in there to cool things down.
    If the Zotac card is the cheapest, and you know it'll fit in a small case, and you don't care about a bit of coil whine or it getting to 85~90C in some instances, go for it & don't worry too much. Just make sure they offer 3 year warranty.
    I have a 3700x processor here, too. Works very well I might add.
    --Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Caesar likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

5. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Was looking at the Gigabyte Windforce in white originally, that was the GPU I was comparing at the price point of £570 - £949 (from a ludicrous private seller) depending on where you looked, however it's looking like I will instead go for the bog standard Windforce x3. It's a black card so should fit with the look I am going for with the build, it's a no thrills, no RGB lighting or anything which is fine my current card doesn't have that I see no reason to have it now and other than lacking the RGB features the card seems to be near indentical to every other Windforce card but the best thing is it is near or around the same price as the Zotac card.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-2070-Super-WINDFORCE/dp/B07X51LTKK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1I822GXEE06BD&keywords=gigabyte+rtx+2070+super&qid=1578448901&sprefix=gigabyte,aps,191&sr=8-1

No idea why they have 6 different versions of the card, i get the RGB vs non, the white vs black and the auros but their seems to be 4 different black versions of the card ranging from £465 to £515 and other than RGB I can;t see much of a difference between them. Looks like I'll be going for the (entry level?) cheapest GV-N207S-WF3OC-8GD version fo the card.

6. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    The standard Gigabyte Windforce cards are also power limit locked.

7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Not so much of an issue I have no plans oin doing any OCing on my system, Just can't be bothered kind as fits with why I opted not to go WC with this build.

8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Found a Gigabyte 2070 super windforce x 3 white going for the right price so have gone for that. Thanks for the info folks.