ZEN4 pin package shown, more PCIe lanes and possible higher TDP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    No more bent pins....on the CPU.
    However, although a rumour, I can see it happen AMD going for a LGA socket.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    28 PCIe lanes would probably be 16+4+4+4 (Chipset link) or 16+4+8 (Chipset Link)

I can see the chipset link going to x8, if the chipset is PCIe 4 capable, like X570 is.
    X670 might have more lanes, if they use a smaller process node to produce it.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I guess it is a logical step. Although, I can't explain why, but socketing an LGA CPU just doesn't feel as satisfying.

doorspaulo likes this.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    About time. I had a heart attack when I ripped my 3900X out of the socket not knowing it was still stuck to my heatsink. I've built more computers than most people ever will, by luck never had a build not boot up and never screwed anything up during the build process, and yet I'm still terrified of holding/installing a CPU with pins since I've seen how easily they can be damaged.

fantaskarsef and tunejunky like this.
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Doesn't the existing AM4 socket support more than 32 PCIe lanes anyway???

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So AM4 is a dead end with Ryzen 5000, and they're so expensive...
    I'd love to upgrade to a 5600 and call it a day for another couple of years.

8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    "not knowing it was still stuck to my heatsink"

Always twist an AMD heatsink a tiny bit before pulling it off to "break the seal"

ZXRaziel likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    A 6core will not last few more years so better wait at this point.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A 5800X or higher isn't going to be obsoleted so easily.
    Zen4 will most likely be better but even an 1800X is still capable of keeping up. Many of us overestimate how much we really need.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Only thing I've ever broken was LGA socket. Those pins you just won't twist back as easy as CPU pins. Neither of them feel safe to me tho.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    A 6/6 I believe is not gonna last, but a 6/12? It will be another 2 to 3 years before games pull from 8/16.
    I bought the 2600 for 135€ hoping to upgrade later, but prices just stayed high...
    5800X isn't going to get obsolete, but I can't afford or would need such a CPU for many years.
    By the time I would need the 5800X there would be cheaper and better CPUs, and DDR5, and PCIe 5.0, etc.

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 are bad in some games, specially those not optimized for them. I've played countless single player games that my 2600 performed flawlessly, but online competitive games stutter really bad. I know because my friend upgraded to 3600 and most of his issues are gone.
    I'm not overestimating talking about 6 core CPUs (1800X is an 8 core one), I'm talking about how Zen 2 and 3 improved specifically on games.

DirtyMiners and cucaulay malkin like this.
  13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that is correct
    that's why paying 100-150eur premium on 5800x for a couple of percent performance advantage over 10700kf is silly.
    current 6/12 cpus are more than enough for high refresh gaming,even a 10400/3600,not to mention 11400f is like 160eur and you wouln't tell a difference between that and a 5800x,no way when both achieve such high framerates easily.

Silva, chispy and tunejunky like this.
  14. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    ZEN 3 provides only 24 lanes, the rest are provided by the chipset (slightly lower speed/higher latency).

BLEH! likes this.
  15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Pretty sure it was known before Zen3 launch that AM4 was the final socket.

chispy, tunejunky and schmidtbag like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    @Silva You're missing my point:
    You said AM4 is a dead end. There are modern products for it, but as TheDeeGee pointed out, it was already known to be the last for the socket. If you get something like a 5600X as your final CPU upgrade for your current rig, it would be a dead-end, because 6c/12t is basically the bare minimum for modern gaming at this point. If you went with 8c/16t, you'll have something that lasts many more years. It doesn't matter if something is a dead end if it remains competitive and functional.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm still on the fence wether to upgrade my 4770K to a 11400 now or sit it out a little longer for Alder Lake.

I won't be upgrading again for 5-7 years when i do ditch my 4770K, that's why it's not an easy choice to make.

(AMD is out of the question, already tasted 5800X and Zen3 is running way too hot for my taste).

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

BLEH! likes this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    too hot? and you're looking @ Intel? just. wow.
    the heat you're referring is going to be worse on Alder Lake. i've been buying both Intel and AMD (since Zen) for years and i can honestly assure you there's not going to be much difference between Zen 4 and Alder Lake heat-wise. Alder lake will run every bit as hot as a Zen 3

Keitosha and Undying like this.
  20. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    The 11400 has a higher per core power usage at all cores load, then any of the AMD CPUes in the review here at Guru3d.

It looks to be less efficient then a Ryzen 1800x in Cinebench R20, more power and less work.

I am highlighting Cinebench allcore, because there is a serious problem with the cooling, if a Ryzen is uncoolable at gaming loads.

tunejunky likes this.