[Zen2] These weird temp spikes, will we ever get rid of them?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Netherwind, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Since I got my CPU I've had these spikes up and down while idling in Windows which normally aren't noticeable and I've set my CPU fan curve to not react on them.

Still, this bugs me and I'm wondering if it normal behavior or if it will ever get fixed. Some say it's a background process in Windows doing it, others say it's boost behavior. Sure, it can be mitigated by setting Maximum Processor State to 99% in the power plan but that also prevents the CPU from boosting altogether.

It's been a while now since Zen2 was released so I was wondering if there is any new info.

[​IMG]

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    That's some software you run waking up the CPU every second... you clearly have some background CPU usage there.
    RGB lighting controller ? Some game marketplace (Steam doesn't do that, so... something else) ?
    If it's a driver, you won't see it in task manager, but it still wakes up the CPU continuously.

It definitely doesn't happen when the system is truly idle.

I'm quite careful on what runs on my PC, and I don't have anything like that. The cores go to real IDLE most of the time, as visible in Ryzen Master, all my 8 cores show "Sleep" until I move my mouse.
    Temp line is also perfectly flat.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    Hi, is that afterburner, i get the exact same pattern, if you scroll down to cpu clks its just as pretty lol, afterburner shows all my 16 threads on my 3800x doing the same thing, my cpu usage goes consistently up and down from 2.7 to 4.4 in idle state.

Netherwind likes this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Observer effect.
    I started afterburner and suddenly my idle temp is no longer locked at 41 degrees, and Ryzen Master no longer shows "Sleep" on all cores, but instead shows random usage left and right.

Afterburner itself is waking up the CPU, it's literally measuring it's own measurement !

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thank you so much, this was driving me crazy.

I did try GPU-Z just to see what happens and although the spikes happened a lot less frequently they're still there (even though I closed all programs) so indeed there must be something in the background making some kind of activity. Yes, I do have LED keeper and things like that but not an excessive amount.

(Check right of the red line, before I had programs opened)
    [​IMG]

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you will if you enable kernel times.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Wrong. Ryzen Master is the only monitoring software that is simply hiding those variations by _averaging_ monitored values with rolling window. It is showing you what you expect to see and purposely hiding something that can confuse you, nothing more, nothing less.
    That jigsaw temperature patter is pretty normal for Zens.

jura11 and Astyanax like this.
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    My idle temps are also around 38-40C :) Yours sound quite low indeed. Don't know what it could be in all honesty, I've got a Dark Rock 4 Pro which is a huge cooler and am running the fans at 70% in idle mode. The case airflow couldn't be better. Sure, I've got an ambient temp of 24C at the moment, that could affect temps. Still, I've always had my idle temps around those values.

Glad to hear you also confirm this.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Earlier this year I bought a 3600 with B450 board when I thought my 6700K had died and used the same windows install on it.
    CPU use at idle was silly, constantly jumping high on on the graph on a few cores despite showing 0% use, yet my 6700K did not do that (and still doesnt).
    I applied a bios update to the mobo which helped a lot but it still happens.
    I think Zen2s threshold for jumping out of lowest power states is very thin.

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    The lowest ive seen my 3800x idle is 39c, i think part of the problem may be....the little programs we have running in the background keeping an eye on our systems , more so the ones that poll the system every second rather than every 5-10secs, but not so much the back ground programs running but the services attached to those programs, unfortunately its programs like Asus ai suite, armor crate, after burner and icue that have the biggest effect on background activity....most of which we could probably do with out, but without them how would we know what is going on, then there are other services like Epson back ground services attached to printer drivers and phone sync apps.....the list could be endless so.....

Short of turning in to a paranoid idiot i`ll take it for what it is and just panic when my max idle temp is above 90c.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    3700X

The "high'ish" idle temp is that I run the fans at minimum RPM at idle, with a custom curve that only starts to spin them fast once it crosses 65.
    I like my computer very VERY quiet if possible, as I work on it 10+ hours a day and don't need my PC to drive me nuts with vvvvvvsshhhhhsssshhhvvvssshhhh.... all day long.

Watercooling would be an alternative, but since pumps can be noisy too, plus the complications of tubing and everything, I'd rather have higher-end fans (Noctua) spinning slowly and only fast when needed than all that mess with tubing.

For me, not even that, only ~78 or so during full load all 16 threads, as the fans are set to go all the way to 100% after it crosses 75.
    With the steep curve that I've set, everything is whisper quiet ... and then suddenly.... JET TAKING OFF when I run stuff like rendering ;)

12. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Regarding the temperatures, my 3900X is idling at 29-35°C and max load temperatures are in 68-72°C, literally max temps I have seen on 3900X is 76-78°C in 26-28°C ambient temperature in Blender render , right now idle is in 29-32°C

I'm running Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570, background apps like MSI Afterburner, SIV64, HWiNFO, Aquacomputer Aquasuite are running all the times

Running constant 1.30v and 4.35GHz on all cores and no issues

I wouldn't be worried about that there, my CPU idles sometimes at 29°C then is in 32°C and then again is in 29's

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

13. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    @AsiJu My 3800X is currently running a static OC : 4425MHz all-core at 1,332V
    Idle temp : 35-38C
    Gaming temp : 48-60C
    CB20 temp : Up to 75C

Your 82-85C bench temps sounds really warm tho :eek: