Zalman Reserator 3 MAX review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we test the Zalman Reserator 3 MAX cooler. Compatible with most Intel and AMD platforms, including Intel Sockets 775, 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011; and AMD Sockets AM2, AM2+, AM3, A...

Zalman Reserator 3 MAX review

2. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    "Nanofluids?" Oh please...

But besides that, what's the point to going for liquid cooling when it has a radiator the size of an intel stock heatsink, with a noisy fan to boot?

3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Zalman is trying to stay relevant in the market.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If you wanna stay in the market let people decide which fans to use in the first place.

I personally found my home with Noctua for CPU Cooling and Case Fans. And Arctic for my Videocards.

5. eXXon

eXXon Guest

GPU:
    GTX780 SLI
    Hmmm, Zalman are a little ambitious with their pricing for this cooler.
    For that price, you can get an H220 which is expandable and much better at cooling.
    Plus, as stated above, why can't the fan be replaced?
    But Kudos for the design and using Copper.

Who is the OEM btw ?

6. kroks

kroks Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    anything above 1000rpm is noisy to me
    they should go back to fanless wc...

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very well said. Even Corsair allows you to put custom fans on their water coolers.

8. SquirrelBoy

SquirrelBoy Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX770 Jetstream
    It would have been nice to have the stock cooler in the charts, for comparison. (obviously not in the OC charts, you'd have baked chips for dinner)

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If they want to stay relevant, they should start with a design that will actually work.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I've got one of these coolers, going on about 6months of use now.
    While I could have gone with an Hxxi series cooler, I liked the look of this one. I agree with the review, that it's not the best cooler around, but for mid-level overclocks it works fine.
    Using Silent mode in the Bios, my FX clocked to just over 4GHz rarely gets above 30C while gaming - usually in the 15-24C range, according to HWiNFO.
    I have 2 Cougar Vortex 140's in the front of my case, and a Cougar Vortex 120 in pull behind this cooler, all PWM. The Zalman & the 120 are both using the CPU_fan header, using a PWM splitter cable. Max speed I've seen is around 1600RPM. It's really as quiet as my 140s are, and they're spinning around 800RPM.
    But, once this cooler reaches 1800RPM you really start to notice it.
    After reading about all the issues surrounding Asetek-based coolers and their legal claims, I have to admire Zalman's forethought to an alternate design.
    For a small 120mm design that will fit almost anything, it gets the job done.

11. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Guess my NH-D14 can breathe easy for some time, then! :)

12. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    In what room do you game?
    Or which readings are you looking at? As those temperatures are anomalously low. They look more like the temperature in your case than CPU temp.
    I've never gotten my cpu as cool as or cooler than ambient temperature. Which is usually around 18-20°C in my home, my cpu is 25°C idle, around 50°C when gaming)

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Hope this link works. This is about 20min of playing in BF4. Just got the game installed so still learning it. Normally I'm playing Tomb Raider, Diablo3, World of Tanks & a little Bioshock Infinite, all with High settings or better.
    I was wondering about my temps before, so I did some searching. The ITE chip is one of the motherboard controls. Core Temp (not installed currently) always gives me the same readings as the CPU [#0] reading.
    I custom labeled the fans. Radiator fan is the Zalman 120mm fan & CPU Pump is the pump attached to the Chas_1 fan header on my motherboard.
    Chas_2 is one of the two Cougar Vortex 140mm.
    Using an industrial food temperature gauge (borrowed from work) my ambient temp is 63F - it won't let me switch to Celsius.
    I do know that FX chips give very inaccurate readings when they're at low temps, but I've never seen it above 35C since I've had it. I first had a Hyper 212 Evo on it, and that was only a few degrees higher then this is. (Amazing air cooler, btw.)
    [​IMG]

14. gaul

gaul Active Member

GPU:
    eyes catching, strong fan perform, nice build quality

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  15. gaul

gaul Active Member

GPU:
    nice review as always, but i look forward for DUAL