Z68XP-UD5: GD2 Excessive overvoltage or overloading

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by [EXC]NaNthor, Sep 7, 2011.

1. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 8800GT G
    Hello,

I've build myself a new rig with the following parts:

Core i7 2600K
    Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5
    MSI GTX570 power edition
    Kingston HyperX 8G dual channel
    Crucial M4 SSD 128G
    Prolimatech mega shadow
    Corsair AX750

The first powerup is always the most exciting thing....It boots up, I see the Gigabyte logo, and then artifacts on the top part of the screen. And then nothing.....I see the following LEDS on the Gigabyte mobo:

The CPU VTT leds GD1 (green) and GD2 (orange). The latter means Excessive overvoltage or overloading.
    The CPU led on top of the socket is not on and the Phase LEDs are fully on (green, green, orange, red) which means there is a lot of CPU load.

I've tried the following:
    - decouple all other components -> no improvement. GD2-led stays orange and phase leds keep indicating full CPU load
    - i've tried the other 8-pins cpu powercable -> no improvement.

I've never had a Gigabyte motherboard, but does this mean my CPU is broken or the Prolimatech is too tight somehow or should I install the default cooler? I installed it very gentle and tightened the screws 1 step at a time.

Anyone else familiar with this problem?

Artifact:
    [​IMG]

GD1 led = green, GD2 LED = orange:
    [​IMG]

Phase LEDs are FULL:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

reset the cmos/bios settings with the clear switch/pin/take battery out. Then use the default heatsink/fan along with a single stick of ram just to discount all otehr possible issues, also try it without the 570 installed (the z68 allows the internal gpu to be used I believe).

3. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    I can't. The Z68XP-UD5 has a full hdmi connection, but I don't have a monitor which supports hdmi or mini hdmi....

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

well try it with a tv if you can otherwise you'll just have to leave the 570 in, or a lesser graphics card if you have one.

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    which prolimatech cooler? that mobo's chipset heatsink looks like it could interfere with the secure mounting of some cpu coolers, have you checked that its not preventing a secure mount on the cpu?

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check the PSU voltages with a multimeter with the PC in use.
    12V is the most important.

7. [EXC]NaNthor

[EXC]NaNthor Master Guru

GPU:
    12V = 12.17V

Prolimatech Mega Shadow.

I notice a bar which goes on the side of the socket covers 3 square things. Those are the powerphase chokes I guess, but it does not touch it or anything. But I will try the basic heatsink that came along with the cpu.

I left out the bar on the top of this picture:
    [​IMG]
    But the bar covers those 3 black blocks...

I've tried with the onboard GPU as well.....no result....
    [​IMG]

8. seeplanet

seeplanet Guest

GPU:
    Gagabyte HD 6870
    Hi, did you happen to find a solution to your problem? I have the exact same issues you are and I can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Dan