Z-tweaked 91.28 review thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by Jelle Mees, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Nvidia driver settings -> Every setting on "Best performance" and 2XAA.

Nvidea NGO Optimized Driver v1.8456
    -> Highest stable clocksettings: 616Mhz / 1600Mhz
    -> Temperature: 52°C / 62°C
    -> 3DMark05: 6494
    -> bluescreens and/or computer/game crashes: Nope
    -> Smooth Game performance: Yes
    -> Good image quality: No

Nvidea Z-tweaked 91.28
    -> Highest stable clocksettings: 615Mhz /1600 Mhz
    -> Highest temperature 47°C / 62°C
    -> 3DMark05: 6472
    -> bluescreens and/or computer/game crashes: Yes
    -> Smooth Game performance: No
    -> Good image quality: Yes

I test drivers in "America's Army","UT2004","Trackmania Nations","COD2" & "Elder scrolls: Oblivion".

The image quality was better then on my previous driver, but it's probably because Nvidia improved IQ, not the person who tweaked the driver. My performance on the other hand decreased and COD2 and America's Army crashed with this driver. The only positive thing I can say about this driver is that the idle temperature is lower. I do not recommend this tweaked driver.

2. ubermann

ubermann Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS vmem+vgpu Mod
    Sorry but i have no problems with 91.28 in AA and its damn smooth.

You do not recommend this drivers to yourself you mean ?

Check what the other users get with Z91.28 its kinda opposite to what you get.
    And everything is based on 3Dmark05 for a "review" ?
    No IQ pics or games avg fps or something ?

Why does it feel like many ppl want to badtalk Z's drivers ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    I tweak my drivers, although when I'm lazy I just download NGOs and FWUs

4. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Can't you read:
    I test drivers in "America's Army","UT2004","Trackmania Nations","COD2" & "Elder scrolls: Oblivion".

And I don't want to badtalk Z's drivers, why in godsname would I do that?
    I test the drivers in the games I mentioned...not in 3DMARK05 only like you sad!

Read my friend....READ...

It is possible that the driver is better for other users, I just gave my review...
    Don't be pissed off at me for posting facts.

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I get it all the time Jelle....

Thx for you sharing your results though...since every PC isnt the same its still good to see how others result.

6. TheRealZepher

TheRealZepher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Thanks for the tests Jelle, informative as always. :)

To be honest I have found the 91.28 to be quite an odd driver; on some systems its rock solid and runs very well but on others it can be really really flaky. If I'd have tested it for a week or so I'd probably not have released it, I don't like releasing tweaked drivers based on ones that already cause BSOD. But having tested them on my systems and on a friends and all being good I didn't notice any problems, it was only after release that I read of crashes with the 91.28 drivers (non modded as well as modded versions). I can't say I tried any overclocking with them though, too scared of kill my nice shiny 7800 atm. ;-) I'd be interested in the results of an unmodded 91.28 overclocking wise to see if the BSOD are the same. I would be extremely surprised is any of the BSOD were as a result of any tweaks I added.

As for testing it against the 84.65 drivers, bah, that's not fair. :p It would have been a more even test using them against the z-tweaked 84.12 or 87.25. I hope nvidia release another 9x.xx driver soon, they do hope a lot of promise but until then I think the 84.xx are probably the best drivers around.

That said though, if you read around there are a few people getting some very good results from the 91.28 drivers, which brings it straight back to the unstable driver business.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  7. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    been using these drivers for about a week now, no BSOD's or anything

I have an issue with winamp's milkdrop visualization, where everynow and then (in full screen mode), the visualization will just stop while the music keeps playing, after a few seconds, the audio will skip a beat and then continue on its merry way like nothing happened

bad thing though, I cant remember if I had this issue before these drivers :bolt:

edit: sorry, no benchmarks, been too lazy lately for all that

8. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    i lose 200marks in 3dmark06

but i gain 20 frame in fear from loaded 91.28 z-tweaked

and ups frame in all my games :)

9. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    If it's true then WHY don't everyone install those drivers? Since everyone would gain 20fps like that, only retards would prefer other drivers.
    So I'm guessing that there must be something wrong with those, I mean all drivers have both advantages and disadvantages NO DRIVERS can ensure you that it will provide both high fps and no stabily-compatability issues.

10. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    people have diff things loaded on their sytems diff hardware

some poeple will find a increase some people will not :)

11. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    Sure but there must be a best driver for every specific gpu with minimali programs installed in pc.

For example can any one tell me which re the best drivers for the gainward bliss gs+ ?

12. TheRealZepher

TheRealZepher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Yes they can, the performance increase is offset by the reduction in IQ.

As a rule stability isn't a problem with tweaked drivers anymore than it is with the non tweaked version, unless a bad tweak is added of course.

I could tweak a driver (and often do) so that it provides both high fps and no stability-compatibility issues but as stated above, you pay for the increase in speed by a decrease in image quality.

If you wanted a true statement you should have said something like - NO DRIVERS can provide both high fps and no reduction in image quality. That would be a true statement.

Edit: And as for a 'best' driver, I don't think there is. Some perform better on certain systems but there is no perfect driver for each gpu.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  13. Makashi_Menace

Makashi_Menace Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 7600GT-TDH (256 DDR3)
    Tweaked 91.28 has been doing fine for me so far.

Different comps yield different results, I guess.

14. mastershake

mastershake New Member

GPU:
    2 x Leadtek 256 MB 7600 GT
    Does the 91.28 Tweaked driver support SLI? I have two 7600 cards in SLI configuration and I'm running the 91.28 tweaked drivers, but I can't tell if it is using SLI or not. The "Enable SLI Configuration" option that you see in the normal 91.28 driver is not present. I was wondering if you just made the driver automatically enable SLI without the user having to do anything. I'm afraid to uninstall the tweaked driver because it is the only driver I have found that didn't cause BSOD.