youtube tought me to swim

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by damien666, Nov 1, 2009.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi all ive never ever swam in my hole life or even been in any water deeper than my bath before and i decided last week its time i learnt so i went to local pool and signed up for lessons and it turned out they couldn't fit me in till after xmas so i went on youtube for the past few days and watched alot fo how to swim videos and i went to the local pool today.

when i first got in the water the for the first 30min i kept pushing off the wall and trying to do the breast stroke thingy and i kept diving lol, im so **** at floating its unreal, im like a lead weight. maybe because im 22, quite well built (muscle) and have a 9.07% body fat ratio. not the ideal body to floot with lol

any how in the next 30min i quit the breast stroke and turned to the normal stroke and flappy legs swimming type and this was much easier. so the most amazing thing was that by the end of 1.5hours of swimming i can now swim 25meater from one side to the other of a pool, im giving up on the breast stroke as i sink all the time lol

2. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Hahaha, i don't know how to swim either :p
    Well i can only swim on pools or places where the water isn't deeper than me :p

I've been thinking on learning too, but there are no pools or anything close to my house :banana:

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Actually it's 200 meters before you can say that you can swim :)

Anyways, that's a good start. Swimming doesn't have much to do with muscles, it's about technique. And you will learn that technique only with swimming.

Haven't tried how long I can swim, usually stopped when I'm done 500 meters. Should start swimming more, it's good training for whole body.

4. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    im so happy as when i got in and all these 4/7year olds laughing at me i thought **** this and kept doing it over and over, i did swim 5lenghts @25meater but with 5min rest between each and also about 8 @ 10meters across the pool trying to get use to the hole thing

when i say swam lengths i ment got from one side to the other without touching the floor or stopping but my hole technique could be called TOTAL CRAP lol

5. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Swimming is my favorite sport! I don't get to swim as much as I like to though :(

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Guess I take my swimming for granted. :eek:

7. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    Yup, swimming is practically all technique. I've been swimming since I was about 5 years old or something and once you learn it, you never forget it. it;s a great activity to do because it's generally relaxing, allows you to do other stuff like surfing and is good exercise without being overly strenuous.

Well done on learning, now you just need to keep improving your technique with plenty of practice and soon you will be wondering why you couldn't do it before. Once you learn it well enough, it just seems really natural.

8. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Would of been easier if u had a river or small lake u could jump in and learn. Cheaper too

9. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Damn, i think i need to learn swimming :D
    Actually the thing i dont know, is how to take air after i run out of oxygen xD
    If i could do that i'm pretty sure i could swim a lot!! xD

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Ditto, I suppose it's different with where I live, I was swimming pretty damn young.

I think we even teach kids before they're even 1. There's a technique to have them always flip on their back and float while kicking their legs.

11. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Swimming with very young babies is quite amazing, I've seen some do it. Makes me go "o_O" when the baby holds his/her breath and holds eyes open. It looks so natural, and I guess it is :F

12. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    I used to swim but i fear ill get knocked unconsious underwater

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I forgot that you had to learn how to swim, as far as I know I just learnt naturally, but I did get some proper lessons when I was 12, but I have always known how to swim. Does this mean that people who don't know how to swim never go in pools?

14. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    That's cool that you were willing to try. A lot of people get a little older and then never learn. I hate the breast stroke and I think it's a good thing you quit trying it for now. I learned early to swim since we had an in ground pool in our backyard.....my dad threw me in the deep end of the pool and said swim or drown.LOL Obviously he would've helped me if I needed it but it was good motivation. :) BTW not only is swimming fun but it's probably the best exercise there is. Trust me if you swim a lot of laps your entire body will ache until you get used to it since you use ALL your muscles. There is no impact on your joints like with running either.

15. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Same here most of my life I avoided swimming cuz I thought it was just impossible lolrz then last year I moved into a house with a pool and learned how to float than began swimming on my own sorta just got use to it for the pwnz:banana:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009

16. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    Congrats man. I'm glad you are learning. and it is something you never forget too.