YouTube on my iPad 4 seems to have lost the 1080p option, why?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Darren Hodgson, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Pretty much what the thread title says: my iPad 4, running iOS 7.0.4, seems to have the lost the option to play 1080p videos from the three dots that appear in the top-right hand corner of the fullscreen. I have Auto, 144, 240, 360, 480 and 720 or any mix of those, that's it. I'm pretty sure I was something in 1080p only a couple of days ago so what has happened?

I've checked the exact same video on my PC through Firefox 25.0.1 or Chrome 31.0 and they have the 1080p option whereas it maxes out at 720p on the iPad. Seeing as the iPad 4's screen is 2048x1536 it means that videos look softer and less detailed now at 720p.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    What no-one else has come across this issue?

3. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    Maybe a recent update has caused it, I have seen Youtube issues on the iPad mini that was only fixed by resetting the settings.

On iPad Mini, (iPad 4 may be different);

Settings --> General --> 'Reset' (at the bottom) --> 'Reset all settings'

It will ask you if you are sure, say 'Yes' - be warned you may have to put your wifi info in again.

Or you could maybe try McTube Pro?

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have the option on my iPad 3 with the same version of iOS. I did have other strange bugs like videos not loading after a few vids watched or thumbnails not loading at all. I went to iCloud -> iPad backup and removed youtube from there and then reinstalled the app without any past settings being restored. Works fine now. Google ain't what it used to be.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've just bought a brand new 128 GB iPad mini with Retina Display and it has the same YouTube issue as my iPad 4 as in neither display the 1080p (or even 480p) options any more even on videos that I know do have 1080p options as confirmed on my PC. Neither the app nor the websites have 1080p/480p support and I've tried the default Safari, Chrome, Opera Mini, Maxathon and Dolphin.

6. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    mctube app fix this for you

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol obviously a late reply but I checked mine and it too is missing 1080p now. I guess it has to do with Google messing around with 1080p by separating the audio and video streams and have removed it from mobile, hopefully for the time being.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Still can't believe the YouTube app has not been updated to fix the 1080p/480p issue on iOS. I've had to resort to using Jasmine to watch YouTube videos in 1080p on my iPad 4 and iPad mini 2. Jasmine is fine however and pleasing ad-free despite being free but it lacks the polished feel of the official YouTube app.

Are Google ever going to fix this? A maximum of 720p on a device with a 1920x1080 or higher screen resolution just sucks IMO.