YouTube loading super slow?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, May 6, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    So for the past month or two, YouTube has been downloading videos REALLY slowly.

Which is odd, they used to be near instant, and my internet speed is the same, as are my settings.

Anyone else?

2. Salsoolo

Salsoolo Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 690
    for me, its different from a video to another.
    some videos load super fast and some very slow.

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    What do you mean? It's been slow for years. That and also the fact that some people don't know how to compress video or set the quality settings too high and is a waste of file size. I've seen many times a 480P video load slow because the original file is over a hundred megs. I can't believe people would sit and wait to upload something that large. You can check to see how large files are if you've ever used a youtube downloader.

Some people (studios/pro's/smart people) encode and upload FLV's because the file size is smaller to begin with and also they don't have to convert the video to FLV while streaming. Or at least I think thats how that works.

I effing hate youtube, but unfortunetly there aren't much alternatives. Some other sites have even more ads that drive me nuts.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    they're probably just running the youtube server off a 3½ floppy and a dialup 14.4k baud modem :D

5. Salsoolo

Salsoolo Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 690
    +1
    but i thought youtube still converts them to a certain bit rate flv files?depending on what mode you chose?(360p 720p etc)

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Didn't used to be slow for me, used to click the page and the video would load insanely fast.

I've downloaded a few YouTube video's and I've yet to see one bigger than 100MB...so yeah.

7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    if its all videos then its probaly your isp capping banwith from youtube.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Youtube has sucked for years imho

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i think its on their end. i was having pretty much the same issues about a month ago. everything was back to normal a couple days later. yesterday the issues came back. so far today i havent seen anyting wrong. videos are loading fine.