YouTube LiveStream Shows Benchmarks AMD Ryzen 2700X to be 10% faster

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2018.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You mean 3.0?
    But no, it's not a useful technology, it's a stupid gimmick that just permits Intel to ship cheaper heatsinks. You're not getting free/bonus performance, you're maybe getting performance you should have already had out-of-the-box that you already paid for. Their CPUs are perfectly capable of reliably sustaining their all-core boost clocks, but the heat generated when doing so would require them to improve the box cooler.
    They guarantee the performance of the base clocks, not the turbo clocks. So as long as the stock heatsink can sustain base clocks, whatever extra performance you lose is not their problem. When all cores are capable of clocking higher but don't due to thermal issues, it's really no different than thermal throttling. If they wanted what was best for the customer, they wouldn't have "all-core turbo speeds" (and instead, use that speed as the base clock) and they'd ship a heatsink that wasn't made out of a pack of beer cans.

This becomes unethical, in the sense that reviewers will keep the CPU in ideal conditions, whether that be cool and clean air, or whether that be an aftermarket heatsink. So even when they keep the CPU at "factory settings", it's going to run better than it will for the average joe, especially after joe has been using the computer for over a year and the stock heatsink is caked with dust.

Like I said, I'm greatly in-favor of Turbo Boost, just not when all cores are boosted.

2. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    I saw part of the stream from the italian guy who had the processor and all the test were conducted using a X370 Gigabyte motherboard if my memory serves me well. He couldnt get a stable 4.3 OC no matter what he tried, only 4.275 allowed him to run CB without a crash. He also used an AIO watercooler and temps were pretty decent. He also, at some point, show in front of the camera the new Prism cooler, which I must say, it seems to be a great cooler btw.
    Just my $0.02

3. jortego128

jortego128 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    lolol :D:p:p

Im sorry dude you just made my day, I'm inclined to include this quote in my sig...:D:D

4. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Exactly. If I had to guess, most people don't overclock their cpu and have no desire too.

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    expecting IPC boost of any significance from a 14->12nm die ~~~shrink~~~ on an architecture that, upon its first showing, exhibited clear power delivery issues approaching 1.3v (basically leaking wattage beyond the cores ability to dissipate it, despite temperature)...ehhhhh its kind of a stretch, man. i see where youre coming from, but in this instance the refinement is of an even more basic nature & frankly it needed to be prioritized. this is a solid iteration.

thats my understanding as well

6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    A 10% increase is not bad for a refresh.

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    So if 2700x is 10-15% faster than 1800x, I wonder what will be possible with the real "top-of-the-line" 2800x which will probably come later?

If it hits 4.5Ghz overclocked on AIO, it's a sale ! Time to retire my "old" crappy Intel 6800K which barely hits 4.2Ghz without cooking itself, on only 6 cores.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Guess who is gonna wait for Zen2?
    You Are.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, I suspect this is the case. I think that AMD has been fairly clear from the start that this is a simple die reduction to a smaller manufacturing process, which allows for higher clocks and overclocks, at least theoretically.

10. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Member Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Turbo boost was not supposed to run CPU out of spec. That was motherboard vendors who enabled OC thru MCE by default...

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290