You're Being Lied To- Windows 8 Isn't Bad for Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Watcher, Aug 27, 2012.

1. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    admit it or not, windows 8 superiority is obvious...in image quality, in sound quality, in overall speed...ssd users are gonna love w8 and laugh at w7...

cpu utilization is better than weak windows 7...everybody knows that, every expert felt that...even in "winsat" i won 0.2 points at the same speed...

old fashioned minds will not accept something that is better in every aspect, even in gaming...

better task manager, better environment, user friendlier...

the only negative...THE ONLY DISADVANTAGE IS DRIVER'S PROBLEM...

many devices cannot work in windows 8 and reduce productivity or are useless if there doesn't exist a disk/partition with windows 7...sleep now w7 lovers...w8 owns...

2. Oni29

Oni29 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    Ive been using the OS now for 2 weeks. I work in schools so we got it as of the school agreement. I can say from a personal point of view i like the new interface, some apps are a little hard to pin to the new metro interface but that is my only issue. On the metro interface there is a icon for the desktop so you can use the computer as normal if you wish. I will say applications open faster on the new OS and the games i play don't seem to have any issues i can see. But as others have stated the drivers are beta so performance can only get better, by that im mean i will be able to use the Virtu MVP drivers.

My only real niggle is the power button hidden in the settings tab.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Nonetheless he's got the point. Hating just to hate is not cool, really.
    Statements like "there's no reason to use Win8" are simply wrong. You can do that in the other way (I'm not supporting it, just giving examples), eg:
    - I think that Win8 doesn't offer anything that I'd want and what Win7 can't do.
    - It seems that the upgrade is not worth the money.
    - There are no interesting Metro apps that I can see, and the rest of features can be accessed, even in a better way, by using superior 3rd party software.

For me upgrading to the next Windows version always made sense except for one time, when I reverted from the new Vista to Win2003 (and then went back to Vista when SP1 was released).

Yeah, it's a bit pita. Well, I accidentally turned off my computer a few times, so perhaps some other people didn't like such scenarios. Still, I'd like to be able to move it to the previous place.
    + Settings make no sense. Powering computer off doesn't seem like one of its settings. There's nothing to adjust over there.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. GMtm

GMtm Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Performance on my rig is solid and within 1 or 2% of Windows 7 x64. Boot times are improved also. Metro is nice if you invest the time into setting it up as you would your desktop. The store could be really intrusive, if it was forced down your throat, but you don't need to use it at all. Just simply unpin it from Start and don't use it! You can unpin through 'Windows+C' | 'Search' | 'Right-click' on 'Store App' and 'Un-pin from start''.

5. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    But you can unpin/uninstall all the irritating tiles you'll neither want nor use, until your desktop looks the way the Start menu does in Windows 7.
    Can even make the tiles smaller, if you wish.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, do my eyes deceive me, or do I see a page in a W8 thread that has about 90% positive comments??

Even though it was noticeably snappier, i will admit I didn’t like it myself when I tried it a few months back, but I only had it installed for 2-3 days and it seems that anyone who sticks with it for a decent amount of time seems to end up enjoying using it and either becomes either a fan, or stops being a hater.

Will need to give it another go soon as don't want to be too much of a "noob" when it comes to using it after it is released.
    Personally i think people avoiding it and waiting for W9 are making a big mistake, whether some like it or not computing is changing, and by the time W9 arrives it will be so different to W7 that it could be completely alien for those people.

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The app store you mean? Is windows 8 going to lock win7 users out of applications? I do like the task manager improvements and to a lesser extent the changes to the Search UI, but they don't even come close to justifying an outlay.

I use a DRM free ISO mounter that didn't cost me a penny. DRM is targeting that mounter, so you're just going to have to get another one anyway, and you better believe there will be some judicial jujitsu thrown at MS to force their co-operation with any new schemes.

Yay!

Pretty sure nvidia manager does that, at least with my laptop it remembers settings for each of the external monitors I hook it up to.

I only have a couple e-mail addresses, & don't use outlook or one note.

Same for me with 7.

A wealthy man can eat a worthwhile meal for $100, while a poorer man views it as a waste of money since he could feed his family for around half a month on that. I'm glad you have the money to burn, but I do believe you're burning money. I will continue with my blanket statements.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This entire post says how it doesn't work for you, but ends with another statement about how's its a waste. It's a waste for YOU. It offers ME and many others in this very thread/world many features that I am already enjoying in the pre-release versions.

What's more? Only 40 bucks since I own my Windows 7. You do own your Windows 7, right?

Less than most software/games? Totally worth it.

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    True it doesn't mean its better than something it replaces however its solely your opinion and as yet unreleased so really its unfortunate your dismissing it so soon.

It makes sense to me. As its not really forcing you into anything nor is it really restricting you directly as anyone with a powerhouse PC won't necessarily be using it.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you go into it with the mindset that it's completely uncustomizable....you'll continue to hate it. If you go into it with the mindset that metro gets in the way.....you'll continue to hate it. However, if you go into with the mindset that you're willing to give it an honest try...and actually take the time to configure it "properly"....you'll find it does in fact save time. The way my "metro" screen is currently configured, I can access everything in half the time it takes on Win7. With the developer preview, I actually liked how "metro" was progressing....after the consumer preview, I was a bit turned off. After reactivating my HTC Trophy (WP7), I decided to see if "metro" for Win8 was anything like "metro" in WP7.....sure enough, it functions exactly like it (aside from being the layout being different). You can pin damn near everything to the start screen (except the power button)... Right now, if I had an SSD large enough....I'd have no reason to boot into Win7.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I hate when people that dont know how to click and use a mouse the right way can judge windows 8....

that one guy in review said he couldn't figure out how to add more accounts to the email app.. I figured out how to do it in 5 seconds...

and someone said one cant run more then one app. you can ran as many apps as you want. there is a preview on the left side of screen that shows previews of whats running and you click on that to bring it up. just like alt tab

and you can have more then one app showing on the screen. Im typing this in chrome on the desktop and have metro email on the side. or be playing pinball fx and checking email on the side.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    I didnt experiment enough to see, tested only 1-2 times and I couldnt find this option.

But I noticed I could drag it out of full screen. Maybe is this it? I had only 1 metro app at that time though and it didnt do anything - it jumped back to full screen.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The settings for all the apps are in the charms on the right-hand side of the screen.

There can be multiple metro apps open, and multiple ones suspended in the background. To have multiple ones on the screen, you have to "snap" (drag) one to the left or right side of the screen. Then you can open whatever you want (including the desktop) on the other side.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes i know about multiple background apps on the left side :)

Its just this feature with 2 active full screen windows at the same time that's kinda bugging me.. I checked settings tab and can't find anything about it, Maybe its apps specific? i didnt try outlook or pinballfx yet.

btw about that grab the app out of fullscreen, if you take it down the screen it closes itself.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    If you mean on two monitors, you can't currently do that, which is unfortunate, and I hope they add it later. The best you can do to have two apps open at once is snap, and then the second screen has to be the desktop.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    No on 1 screen, i mean this part in his post

Ok I tried metro app pinball and firefox, but it doesnt want to show on screen side by side.

Or when you say side you mean that preview part on the left side?

If yes, then never mind was a big misunderstanding :)

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I'm still kind of lost as to what you're asking. Metro snap is that "preview" on the side (it can be either side). Some apps use it to great effect, like the mail app, and others don't use it at all, like the store one.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes this, I see thanks. :)

19. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    im switching to Windows 8 because I need to stay up in my IT technical skills I am just waiting to get an SSD before installing it.

20. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You should give it another try, as I just recently reinstalled it on a 3rd partition, and I've noticed that not only are there some pretty nice speed improvements, even the start screen has its uses (much more so than the old start menu). The only issue I've had so far was I had to do some tweaking to get sound working, but that's all sorted. In all honesty the more I use it, I have yet to find something in Windows 8 I really hate. Even the GUI is more superior, and I can't wait to see what Microsoft does to improve it to make it more pleasing to businesses and not just the general public.